Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro vacuum diagram for front/rear diff-lock controls?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barozaku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Syncro vacuum diagram for front/rear diff-lock controls? Reply with quote

While sorting out some minor wiring issues on my DoKa Syncro, I disconnected the front/rear diff-lock controls and want to be sure I have the vacuum lines reconnected properly. Can anybody tell me the proper color sequence for the vacuum lines connected to the control knobs?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.obsolyte.com/vanagon/VanagonProTraining/86Vanagon/040.jpg

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunshine_norway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this picture can help you solve your problem... Smile

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff90/radcoonsky/012%20Kanne/difflocks.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks. That's gonna help me if I ever find one of those control panels, or at least one valve. I have a Syncro with the rear locker but no actuating gear yet.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barozaku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... It helps a ton.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
barozaku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update... I did use all your input to help me verify the "plumbing" of the lines @ the controls. However, shortly thereafter, much bigger repair issues arose that kind of overshadowed that small victory. Durring that period, the front diff actuator had to be rebuilt to get it to work, and the rear is still not functioning do to a vacuum leak elswhere. Like my Speedo gear repair, the circumstances that lead up to these discoveries/repairs were not very pleasant, but now that everything has been back together for a while, the DoKa runs/drives beautifully...
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:

Check your check valve.

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way to diagnose which part is at fault is to remove it from the system.

Just connect the two pipes together up front which would activate the difflock, jack up one side of your syncro so that both wheels on that side can turn and have the engine ticking over. Slowly turn the wheels around by hand and your diff lock should engage.

If it doesn't the problem is not the front switch.

Have you had the difflock actuator off and checked that the difflock pin can move easily?

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the diagram above, can anyone confirm the orientation of the hoses at the rear actuator? It seems to show that the blue line goes on the nipple farthest from the tranny. My blue vacuum line was on the other one. PO screwup, or was there a change? 87 Syncro. Thanks!

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, any info on taking the rear locker actuator off? I want to clean and check things as it's easy to get to right now with the axles off. But it looks like you pry it apart and I don't want to break it if there's a trick to it. Thanks.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, where does the vacuum tank connect to the vacuum? I am about to install my plumbing.

Thx!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gw,

Clarify that question, I can probably tell you since Im under mine.

So, learning as I go here the whole roll pin, 3mm punch, pulling the boot back to access it and get the thing off. No way my boot is going to "roll back" as it has a thick black rubber protective hose over it with a thick metal band around the center. How do you move THAT stout thing back? I saw someone was going to dremel theirs off but the thread ended. Is that the solution?

Also, I am using a Mity Vac hand vacuum pump with a guage on it in hopes while I'm cleaning the bolts up for removal the actuator pin/rod will move. What's a safe vacuum level to use? I've been at 15psi with no result. More?

DougM
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gw,

Here's a great thread/diagram for you:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319128&highlight=actuator+diff+lock
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
gw,

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319128&highlight=actuator+diff+lock

Arrrg! You've put me in an endless loop!

I'm wondering where in the vacuum system you tap into to fill up the reservoir. In the diagram, it is the line going out of the reservoir and ending.

Thx!
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
IdahoDoug wrote:
gw,

Arrrg! You've put me in an endless loop!

I'm wondering where in the vacuum system you tap into to fill up the reservoir. In the diagram, it is the line going out of the reservoir and ending.

Thx!

Pete the vacuum line tees off of the brake booster line that runs from front to back underneath on the drivers side frame rail. I have an extra vacuum reservoir and check valve. The tee for the brake booster line can be found at most auto parts stores, I forget the size right now.

I am still willing to help you with this, I have been busy and was thinking you maybe able to wait until it warms up. PM me and we can talk about it more. We will need to change the gear oil too so I would start looking for swepco 210.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh - I got your endless loop!! I'll be under the van in about 20 minutes and will describe that spot Frankensuby's mentioned. Do you have a vacuum reservoir under there now?
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW mine isn't stock but you get the idea.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncrodoka,

Nice shot. The T is 9 1/2" forward of the major frame crossmember on the right side outboard of the longitudinal frame on the brake vacuum line.

So, I've tapped the roll pin partly out of the locker actuator rod. I have two spare. Before knocking that pin out and committing, I want to try to grab the actuator rod and see if it will loosen up first. Can anyone tell me approximately how far the actuator rod moves? That will help me not bugger up the part of the rod that goes in and out if my cloth slips. Thanks.

DougM
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The full stroke of the actuator is 20mm.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Enough to grab onto. Soaking in PB a few hours now. Any thoughts on twisting? I see the shaft from the actuator is offcenter, so that should be a limiter to only a few degrees before I risk that, but wondering about the other end in the tranny. Parts diag seems to indicate it would be OK. Now thinking of twist to loosen, no longer to get roll pin out as I handled it with something highly technical. I ........ um ........pushed the shifter into another gear and it was totally out of the way. cough.....

DougM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: