Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where do the wires on a 12V regulator go?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Where do the wires on a 12V regulator go? Reply with quote

I know that's a real stupid question but I've searched & searched & can't find what I'm looking for. I've got a '65 rag, converted to 12V. I'm new to bugs & when I got it the engine was out & it didn't have a regulator on it. The wiring diagram for the regulator, 6V car & 12V car all seem to be different. I've wired it up the way I think it should be but I'm always missing a wire or have one leftover. If I had a pic of a 12V regulator that told me where the wires go that would be awesome.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened this thread because I was JUST researching the wires on my Motorola reg. What a found, with 12v converted engines, are there are a multitude of combos out there, I think in order to get help here- you should list the model numbers of the component you've got- especially since you do not discuss if you have a generator or alternator.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that might help. Here's a pic. http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u488/VoodooChild69/DSC06051.jpg
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: gen and reg Reply with quote

Another one of those PAINTED Generators
Without a ground wire from the small screw that Should be in
front of the hold down clamp.

You need to add a brown ground wire from the reg to the gen.
And please Put the clamp on the proper way
and insulate the D+ WIRE before it gets warn away on the fan housing

Change the color of the DF WIRE to not confuse between the 2
It should be Green.
Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose. Newbie remember, I wouldn't know that it's not supposed to be pink.

Where on the reg? It's got the screw on the gen, just nothing on it.

And what would the proper way be? All I've done on this end of the bug is bolt in the motor, & start hooking up wires.

I'll insulate those wires, just trying to get it running at this stage.

Those wires are labeled, won't be getting those confused. The problem is the other B+ terminal. If somebody had a pic of a setup like this I could understand it maybe. It's real simple if you know anything about wiring, but I don't. It's been hooked up like this before sometime cause all the wires & the mounting of the reg were already done, just nothing was hooked up & the reg was missing when I got it. Also the starter wires were off, so there's another area I'll need clarified.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: help with hookup Reply with quote

You suppose what? You're doing fine.You just need to install the
ground wire from the generator to the regulator and,
you can use 1 of the screws you used to mount the reg.

You also have a ground strap from the transmission to the frame
that should be clean AND tight
as well as the battery to frame.
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a combination of a '66 and a '67 without the regulator under the back seat. I have a similar setup. I hope you also DL the 1300 wiring diagram and the 1500 diagram. It will help you understand how to combine the two systems.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: help with hookup Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
You suppose what?

Painted generator
Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: gen and reg Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
And please Put the clamp on the proper way

Don't know how it goes, it was already on the motor.
Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aynthm wrote:
It's a combination of a '66 and a '67 without the regulator under the back seat. I have a similar setup. I hope you also DL the 1300 wiring diagram and the 1500 diagram. It will help you understand how to combine the two systems.

I'm not even sure which one I'm looking at. I printed it off a long time ago and the bug got put on the back burner. Which years would those be? I think my problem is the B+ terminal. You got one wire to the battery, correct? Where does the other wire go? I've got 2 wires in the factory harness that I'm assuming one goes to that lug & the other to the starter. Sound right? But which is which? Looks like the larger wire goes to the B+ & the smaller to the starter. Somebody needs to make a diagram for this exact setup for idiots like me who have no business doing any sort of wiring. This thread is gonna be full of stupid questions.
Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aynthm wrote:

Nice too by the way. What size engine is that? Mine's a 1600 dp & I was going to run the same breather you've got, mine's got a much larger one I'm assuming off a later model but it wants to hit the decklid. Will the smaller breather be sufficient?
Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aynthm wrote:

One more stupid question for the morning. I can't see your B+ lug, what connector is on it? I'm having a real hard time finding any terminals that fit that huge lug. I've been everywhere local & they all look at me funny when I tell em I need a connector that big.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Voodoo Child"]
Aynthm wrote:

One more stupid question for the morning. I can't see your B+ lug, what connector is on it? I'm having a real hard time finding any terminals that fit that huge lug. I've been everywhere local & they all look at me funny when I tell em I need a connector that big.

I've always been able to find the oversized connectors at autozone and o'reillys. They are mixed in with all the other connectors and can be hard to find, just have to dig around. Sorry, the paper label is missing, but I think they were listed as 10-12 gauge. You can see the size difference here

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:
I've always been able to find the oversized connectors at autozone and o'reillys. They are mixed in with all the other connectors and can be hard to find, just have to dig around. Sorry, the paper label is missing, but I think they were listed as 10-12 gauge.

What? Dude I've been everywhere, REAL parts stores, even an appliance parts store & a place that sells semi parts. 1/4" is all I can find, I'll check the chain stores again, they must be hid good. Unrelated question, from what I can tell in your avatar, that's how I want my rag to sit. Can you tell me what setup & tire size you've got? If I ever get my dern car going I need to hook up with some of you GA guys at some shows. Wanted to drive mine to Bugapaluza this year but it ain't gonna happen.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voodoo Child wrote:
fluxcap wrote:
I've always been able to find the oversized connectors at autozone and o'reillys. They are mixed in with all the other connectors and can be hard to find, just have to dig around. Sorry, the paper label is missing, but I think they were listed as 10-12 gauge.

What? Dude I've been everywhere, REAL parts stores, even an appliance parts store & a place that sells semi parts. 1/4" is all I can find, I'll check the chain stores again, they must be hid good. Unrelated question, from what I can tell in your avatar, that's how I want my rag to sit. Can you tell me what setup & tire size you've got? If I ever get my dern car going I need to hook up with some of you GA guys at some shows. Wanted to drive mine to Bugapaluza this year but it ain't gonna happen.

Well, if you can't find any before then, let me know and I'll bring a few extras to BAP for you. I won't be in the bug though, I'm bringing my 66 bus this year to camp in!

Here's a bigger pic.

Front tires are 175/55/15. Beam is narrowed 60mm (just under 2.5 inches)
CB Performance disc/drop spindles. Beam adjuster are down just a hair.

Rear is 165/80/15. Down one outer spline.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:
Well, if you can't find any before then, let me know and I'll bring a few extras to BAP for you. I won't be in the bug though, I'm bringing my 66 bus this year to camp in!

Front tires are 175/55/15. Beam is narrowed 60mm (just under 2.5 inches)
CB Performance disc/drop spindles. Beam adjuster are down just a hair.

Rear is 165/80/15. Down one outer spline.

Thanks man, gonna look again today, if I still don't have any luck I'll let you know. I only need one best I can tell.

Well, mine's a bit different, so our tire sizes might need to be different. 6" narrowed beam, drop spindles, drums. I'm betting a 175 is way too wide for a 6" beam. Was thinking it'd have to be like 145/65 or something. Don't know about the rear, not sure if it's been monkeyed with any or if it's just sagging a bit. i did the front, haven't messed with the back yet. I wanted to get some real tires on it & see how it sat before I fooled with it. I see how these threads run astray real quick. Still not clear on my first question & I'm on tire sizes already. Geez. Probably because I want it all done. Today. Since I've owned the car 2 yrs & haven't done much to it, it obviously needs to be done today.

So I'll run it off course a little more. I've got a '67 bus bought, in the woods with cut spring plates. You wouldn't happen to have an extra set would you? I'm gonna lower it too, but I just need to get it home first. So if you've got a line on some bus lowering parts too let me know.
Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:
Well, if you can't find any before then, let me know and I'll bring a few extras to BAP for you.

Went to Advance & walked right to em. That's the only place I hadn't tried yet. Contrary to popular belief around here they do make em.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voodoo Child wrote:

So I'll run it off course a little more. I've got a '67 bus bought, in the woods with cut spring plates. You wouldn't happen to have an extra set would you? I'm gonna lower it too, but I just need to get it home first. So if you've got a line on some bus lowering parts too let me know.

Sorry dude, just did a straight axle conversion to my bus a few weekends ago. Now have offset springplates and the old springplates are gone.

Glad you found the connectors! Look for me at BAP and say hi. I (should) be in a red/creme colored 66 camper bus.

Voodoo Child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:
Sorry dude, just did a straight axle conversion to my bus a few weekends ago. Now have offset springplates and the old springplates are gone.

Glad you found the connectors! Look for me at BAP and say hi. I (should) be in a red/creme colored 66 camper bus.

Well dang it. You don't know where another trans is do you? I've heard I need a '67-'68 bug trans? Is that right?

Will do, send me a pic & I'll be on the lookout for it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: