Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

converting to fuel injection
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Septimus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: converting to fuel injection Reply with quote

I have a 72 bus that needed a new engine so I bought a junked 75 bus with a 2L fuel injection system. I've taken the engine out and all the fuel injection components on the bus out and I am just about to weld the bracket for the air intake box from the parts bus into mine. Is there any reason I should mount it somewhere other than the way it was in the parts bus? I'm also going to cut the hole for the computer tomorrow. I'm also planning on putting this in the same spot. Has anyone else done this before? If so, what are your top pieces of advice or caution? Thanks for any help!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to put a return line in the fuel tank while the engine is out. If you end up using th esingle outlet, remove the fuel "sock" and use a "Y" as opposed to a "T"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fukengruvenoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72 busses don't have the upper engine access hatch. Setting up the FI and adjusting it (the AFM for example) will be a nightmare without it.

Since you're welding in the air cleaner arm (and yes, I suggest you put it in the exact same spot) why not cut and weld in the metal for the access hatch?

Also, when doing a swap like this there are some often forgotten pieces of wiring... Like, for example, the fuel pump harness. It's fairly simple (+ and - to the fuel pump, fuel pump trigger to the starter, 78+ also have the +VE hook up for the FI system to the starter). Pull this out complete and reuse it. It is often referred to as the "bus side" connector for the double relay, and it's hard to find.

'75 busses didn't have 2L engines. Are you sure it's a 2L? In '75 they had 1800CC FI engines. If it's an 1800, it should fit your tranny without too much worries, but the gearing won't be great. If it's really a 2Lyou will have problems mating the 2L to the '72 tranny.. Is that what you're planning on doing? You should probably swap in the tranny from the parts bus as well. It would have the larger bellhousing for the 228mm flywheel and better ratios for the 2L.

EDIT - Very good point from Randy in Maine... Again, since you've bought the parts bus, might as well swap in the whole tank. And do all the venting while you're there.
Septimus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I've thought about cutting out a panel and putting the access hatch in but I'm hesitant to do it myself. I'm worried I'll botch it.Has anyone out there ever done this? I'm swapping out the transmission as well. I used to have a 2L with a mismatched transmission and the RPMs were always pretty high. I'm pretty sure this is a 2L engine.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd swap in the 091 tranny too if you are going with the 2.0L engine..

The engine hatch is a great swap in but welding is a hassle if you don't know how...any small shop can do it for you before the engine is installed!
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A '75 should have a 1.8L instead of the 2.0, but still the matching tranny wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm hoping to put the fuel injection back on our '77. It seem like quite a bit of work, so I admire you for putting it on a vehicle that never had it. Peace!

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
Septimus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Engine ID Reply with quote

Ok, my engine code is GD001598 but the bus was made in August 1975 so according to what I've found, that means that the engine is a 2L but the bus should have an 1800cc. Does that sound right?
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys (and any gals)

i'm working on my fuel injection conversion....moving from the 1700 to a fuel injected 2L and 091 trans.

i think i've found the best location for the fuel pump but im a little concerned about interference and wanted some input

the later FI buses are "missing" some reinforcing brackets from the rear tube

79 bus: you can barely make out the FI pump bracket but its there (before i chipped it off)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

now on the 72 theres this giant bracket in the way:

theres about 3.5" of space here, but im worried about a pinch point if i were to hit a huge bump...

the bump stop would have to compress something like almost 2" to make this fuel line get pinched. i forget the measurement but you can almost scale it in the second picture.

anyone think i'm at risk here? i want to keep the pump as close to the original position in order to use the original metal fuel lines as much as possible...

i suppose im willing to take some material out of the bracket to move this upward...but would obviously rather not. either way looks like VW didn't feel the bracket was necessary or cost effective any more at some point, or reinforced elsewhere

thoughts??
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you were to hit a bump that would pinch that line, i would think you would have way bigger problems than that. i suppose if you were worried about it, drill a hole in the bracket, put a grommet in the hole and run your line through that. your line may have a bit of a 's' in it, so i don't know if it is possible to do it that way.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or move it to the outside of the frame further forward like VW did on early FI buses. You'll have to fabricate some hard lines but that may be the best option for clearance. You could also mount it to the bottom of the tank compartment above the transmission, I don't know how much noise that would make but the lines would be much shorter.

As Skills says it would work where you've got it, but things get pretty crowded once the heater tubes are in there and might be tight.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
pgtips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a fully running 75 2.0L FI if you need any assistance or pics etc.

PG
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thanks guys, some good ideas. i was hoping to put it kinda where it is in the pictures only because i have the metal line for overtop the trans.

i did stick the heater tube on to see how close things are getting, but now the results of that are escaping me - i'll have to do it again.

i'm thinking i may go for this location and maybe just notch out that bracket just a little halfmoon-ish.?

i thought of over the trans but i worried about getting at the fuel filter easy and - oh yea - i have the original FI fuel pump/reverse switch/double relay wiring harness that i'm going to use so i have to stay in this area in order for that to work. i'm very partial to the original wiring Rolling Eyes yeah lame i know, hack away then im a baby about the wiring Wink

pqtips if you have any pictures or your install that would be great, particularly the fuel pump. i have the aircleaner bracket all sorted and the ECU cutout and steady-bracket sorted

shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do the engine hatch right. I rode in a 72 with a whats in your pipe style access hatch, and it was so loud in that bus and the fumes were terrible.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiningstar76 wrote:
I'd do the engine hatch right. I rode in a 72 with a whats in your pipe style access hatch, and it was so loud in that bus and the fumes were terrible.

engine hatch i have sorted already, i have a huge 411 or whatever car unit welded in. lifesaver. fume free!
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rustbus! I took a few pictures of my setup for you, I hope they help. They are a bit big, for detail, so you may have to let them load a minute.

I think I have my pump set to the rear a bit more, but the height looks to be the same.

I chose to run my fuel line along the rear of that bracket, up and over the transmission to the tank. The filter sits just above the heater tube, out of the way. There's no rubbing on the fuel line, and a very small chance of anything hitting the line or filter:

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fukengruvenoval wrote:
'75 busses didn't have 2L engines. Are you sure it's a 2L? In '75 they had 1800CC FI engines.

1977_L63H_P27 wrote:
A '75 should have a 1.8L instead of the 2.0, but still the matching tranny wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm hoping to put the fuel injection back on our '77. It seem like quite a bit of work, so I admire you for putting it on a vehicle that never had it. Peace!

Wrong. I know it's an old topic but '75 was the first year old the 2.0L F.I.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503859&highlight=early+type
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mikewire, i was just reviewing your thread earlier and i was wondering hows your install ended up in regards to the pump.

thanks for the pics! shame i'm low on 11mm hose, may have to get more.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet, it's worked out great for me. Awesome progress! Yours looks like a great setup too - the best of luck to you. Go '72's Very Happy

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
spaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a 72 bus and am considering switching to fuel injection. It was not originally an FI engine. When looking at versions of fuel injection used on busses, it looks like the later versions are the better option. Is this correct? if so, what years should I be looking for? there are 2 "complete" FI parts listings in the forum:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1702300

and

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1739635

Would either of these be a good option for a conversion such as the one in this thread? I am aware of the fuel tank issue as well as adding a fuel pump and filter.
71 Squareback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fukengruvenoval wrote:
72 busses don't have the upper engine access hatch. Setting up the FI and adjusting it (the AFM for example) will be a nightmare without it.

It is certainly less convenient, but i would not call it a nightmare. I have to contend with the same problem with the 2.0-L FI engine in my double cab pickup. One approach is to invert the AFM 180 degrees, so that the cap is on the bottom. I really do not have the option of adding a hatch, unless I want a hatch in the middle of the pickup bed, which I do not. Besides, once the FI is set up right, it should not need a lot of futzing with.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: