Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another hidden space: Westy cutlery drawer
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Another hidden space: Westy cutlery drawer Reply with quote

With the prospect of spending a year in the van, I'm in the mindset of using every available bit of space.

The following is is an idea that I've had for a while, and finally this weekend was able to make it happen. I thought about this while looking at the very helpful disassembly pictures that davideric9 posted to this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334649

If you look at the area left of the burners, there is some empty space in there:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The back of it is ventilation for the fridge, but we're not going to go so far that it matters.

The first thing I did, because I know my craftmanship can be laughably bad, was to procure an extra stove front plate. I got it from the classifieds, I think it was $25 or so:

Then I marked how far I wanted to go, and attacked it with a jigsaw:

My strategy is usually "measure once, cut three times". Make sure to never hire me for anything that doesn't have an undo button Smile

I went to Home Depot, and after a couple of hours of looking of inspiration, I settled on this thing, it's a roof gutter of some sort. What mattered to me was that it is metal, it has a 90 degree bend alongside, and one of the sides is about 2 inches tall:

By making cuts on the longer side and bending it I built this box, which is about 12"x4":

Not pictured here, but I epoxyed it in place, and left it clamped overnight.

I made a wooden front, which I sanded until it fit snugly in the stove front. Here they are, pictured in my paint booth:

After a couple of coats. I painted the table legs as well.

When the paint was dry, I attached the front to the drawer using a handle that screws from behind, and then lined the drawer with some black rubber material so the stuff inside doesn't rattle too much. I also put some of that low friction tape that I used on the slider door, on the bottom and edges of the drawer.

Voila, a new cutlery drawer:

Now I can use the main drawer under the sink for other stuff. I'm not too worried about heat, this is relatively far from the flame, separated by two layers of metal, plus my drawer itself is metal. So I should be ok.

The paint I used was Rustoleum Satin Granite, it is here if you scroll down a bit:
http://painting123.com/ProductInfo.asp?p2=I7

It's a bit darker than stock, but I don't mind it. My bad craftmanship shows a little bit, but it isn't too bad. And when compared to my stock stove plate, it is a noticeable improvement. The old plate had that greenish grey color that most original westy stoves have by now.

Here it is closed:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job well done!

Now, does the drawer stay closed on a hard left turn with just the friction tape?

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:

Now, does the drawer stay closed on a hard left turn with just the friction tape?

Haven't driven with it yet. But the drawer front fits snugly in the metal front, so I don't expect it to be a problem. It it is, I'll try to figure something out Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done. I did not know that space was there. My next project is to open up some more space where the westy water tank is. I plan to make a smaller (2 gal) tank and make the upper storage enclosures deeper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 X 4 X 9" ??
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"roof gutter of some sort" It's called metal flashing, used under roof shingles to protect edges & direct water. Comes in various sizes. Nice job!
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
4 X 4 X 9" ??

Not sure what you're asking. The drawer is 4x2x12". The front piece of wood is about 4.5"x2.5", minus the bit I sanded off for it to fit in the stove plate.
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
"roof gutter of some sort" It's called metal flashing, used under roof shingles to protect edges & direct water. Comes in various sizes. Nice job!

Ahh yes. Thanks. I was just running around HD looking for ideas, and found that in the roofing section Smile
vannin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top effort looks good Very Happy
Nik
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Drip edge" is what that stuff is called. Neat project.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good and fairly easy mod. I have a spare faceplate already. though I'd imagine once you add useful space to a westy there's no going back.

now we just need a tip out sponge/soap tray in front of the sink Wink
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Another hidden space: Westy cutlery drawer Reply with quote

juanb wrote:
Here it is closed:

Do recall correctly that replacement lettering is available from someone, somewhere?
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those updates look real good! Knife drawer or block is a great idea.

At Gowesty,

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4351&category_id=&category_parent_id=

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23415&category_id=4351&category_parent_id=
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Looks good and fairly easy mod. I have a spare faceplate already. though I'd imagine once you add useful space to a westy there's no going back.

now we just need a tip out sponge/soap tray in front of the sink Wink

There's space to the right of the sink:

(photo by davideric9)

Initially I thought about making two drawers, but the space next to the sink is narrower. A triangular tray that hinges on the far right of the plate could be an option for here. Probably beyond my current abilities though.

Another cool thing would be to relocate the battery/water lights five or six inches to the right and use that space for another drawer. I don't remember how deep the circuit with the LEDs is, but I imagine it fits between the front plate and the sink.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me how brilliant some of our members are. "brilliant".
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea,

It would be possible to move the control panel to in front of the sink and use all three spaces...

I've been tempted to build a whole new cabinet which is slightly taller. Move the drawl to above the fridge and then make use of the taller space under the sink for a microwave. The sink drain would be an interesting one to work out though and having water above a microwave is never a good idea...

Ideas ideas!

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:

Having driven around a bit now, I can say the drawer stayed closed. Not sure what will happen when we're in Baja rattling around miles of washboard, but for now it seems ok.
JED THE SPREAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really clever idea Very Happy

jed
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Juanb, Since you are looking for possibilities for increasing the luggage space, hav you considderd changing the RnR bed system to the Bay system? The top of engine compartment is 16cm or 6 inches higer above the flor in a bay than in a Vanagon. The Bay RnR bed lifts upp 16cm, while the Vanagon only moves forvard and canges it into a bed. In my Reimo conversion i have this system, so i have a ekstra space under the bed and rear cabinett of about 160x100x15cm, not very high but its room for camping table and som chairs, + som tools, a slepingbagg, most important, its room for equippements thats otherwise is hard to find a place for.
Someone broke into my camper and stole the battery, stereo and repair manual, they diddn't manage to open the back door so the tools wher not stolen and you have to know its there, under the bed. The only thing i dont like: it should be 10cm(4inches) higer, but so fahr i havent looked int making itt go even higher

http://www.reimo.com/de/58001-sitzbankbeschlag_mit_anhebung_vw_bis_8_89/
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marius,

That sounds really interesting, raising the bed a bit in order to gain some storage space there. I rarely sleep in the bottom though, so thise wouldn't be adding usable space for me--I use all the back for storage anyway. But it does sound very cool!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: