Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weekender kitchen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This chuckwagen idea intrigues me. Idea It’s got my mind racing with ideas. I like the simplicity of storage and transition from daily driver to camper it offers. My wife and I prefer the Weekender interior with its bigger bed, but want a few cabinets for storage when we camp.

A couple of weeks ago we camped with a large plastic 4 drawer unit placed behind the passenger seat. It was efficient but not too sexy.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Having four drawers sure helped for organization. We used the top small drawer for silverware / cooking utensils. The lower small drawer for towels. The 3rd drawer was bigger and served as our food pantry. And the bottom drawer was used for pots, pans, and cutting board. There was even room for our lantern in there. It was very stable with the heavier items on the bottom.

Putting the cabinet behind the passenger seat was handy but we never used the remaining jump seat and there wasn’t a good place to put the cooler. For this past weekends camping trip I moved the drawer unit over behind the drivers seat, placed with the drawers opening towards the sliding door, and sat my Coleman 12V cooler behind the passengers seat, placed horizontally.

The Coleman cooler can be oriented vertically or horizontally. Our determination was it holds more as a chest than as a refrigerator. Unfortunately I neglected to take any pictures of the setup except the one above, but I was reasonably happy with it. The 4 drawer unit just fit between the seat and the table, allowing the table to be used if needed. With the drawers sliding out sideways we had a couple of accidents with the top drawer when I turned too quickly. Silverware went everywhere. Embarassed I need to add some drawer locks.

My current thinking is to build a nicely finished wooden cabinet using the plastic drawers as a rough example. I would resize the drawers a little to make them more appropriate for use. For example the silverware drawer is taller than it needs to be. The overall height of the unit is about right, it’s a couple of inches taller than the bottom of the windows. The top of the cabinet was useful while camping to set items on, I would like a slightly raised lip around the edge though.

The cooler location seems like its still wasting space. I like the smaller footprint of the cooler as opposed to the 4 drawer cabinet in the doorway, but I still need a place to put the Coleman Stove. Currently it’s carried behind the back seat meaning it has to be moved to use the bed. That usually happens when I'm sleepy. #Sleep I’m not 100% sure what the final plan is for the passenger side cabinet but I know I want a slide in cubby under the cooler to place the stove in while in transit.

The indecision is what to do around and above the cooler. Confused I could build a square box with the cooler on a platform and shelves / drawers above it? (Image #1) Or a slide out cooler with a padded seat above it? (#2) Easier to do a hinged seat? (#2 again) Nothing above it? (#3) Build it with just a back panel with pegs to hang stuff from? (#4) Or some combination of all the best features.

The other indecision is in regards to materials. I like the warmth and class of wood, but am leaning towards a grey laminate more in line with a factory effort. Laminate will *probably* win.

The removable chuckwagen cabinetry would make the transition from camper to daily driver very quick. A big plus is it allows all the camping gear to remain packed and ready. We stored our blankets in the empty drawer used for food/snacks. These cabinets could even be pulled out and used in camp if a totally outdoor kitchen was desired, although we liked it fine with just the stove outside. Design 1 or 4 would offer good locations to add a paper towel holder. I plan on using roller drawer guides to make it easy to open, close and completely remove the drawers for loading. Not indicated on the drawings is the jump seat bracket attachment planned so they’re secured in case of an accident. I’m also thinking a couple of small rollers would be helpful when moving the loaded cabinets, kind of a built in dolly feature.

It’s all talk at this point. Think All hat, no cowboy. I’ll continue to study on it, work out the details, and keep an eye out for the best materials to use. Just throwing it out there…

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Cygnus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure like the look of some of those SMEV combo units. Anyone know where they can be had in the US? I know that panther RV carries some of them - but not the model I had in mind.

-Brian
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing looks pretty functional:

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Sherpa-Table-Organ...CR1IN7T9CR

I just put it on my Amazon wish list so that my wife will see it and want it also. Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: modular kitchen Reply with quote

I've been following this thread and want a similar setup. My syncro vanagon with campmobile poptop was perfect for us to have a 7 seat van to shuttle the kids around, but be able to quickly switch over to camping mode.

I really like the chuckbox concept as well. I really like the Kanz Field Kitchen http://kanzoutdoors.com/field_kitchen.html but I'm hoping for something a little more reasonable in price.

I still wanted to round out the modular camper experience by complementing the chuck box with sink/water, propane supply, and aux heater.

Ultimately I want to build something from honeycomb panels or something similar to the lightweight 16" camper here http://www.vanagon.com/info/vehicles/lightweight-syncro-16.htm
I understand that PVC-coated aluminum sandwich panels can be welded together with PVC cement, so it seems like it would be ideal.

However, I've found out that material is *really* expensive so I decided to build a mockup/prototype to nail down a design and get by until I can find a reasonable source. Needing something strong enough to hold the weight and handle abuse from my kids, but light enough to easily lift in and out, I settled on wire rack shelving and spent a good deal of time with a tape measure at various stores before finding what I wanted.

I'm happy with the results so far. The pictured unit can easily be lifted (with water can off) in to the syncro and mounted. It has a 10# fiberglass propane tank, 5 gallon gray water tank, 5 gallon potable water tank, Olympia Wave 6 catalytic heater, a 3 way propane distribution tee with a hose to attach a stove, and a sink in which you can actually wash a plate or fill a pot. A small multi-compartment tray behind the sink holds soap, scrub brushes and a CO detector.

The position where the heater is mounted has worked out great. The catalytic is silent and uses no battery, it radiates out to heat the lower bed and up to heat up the pop top. It was 34 camping in SE Oregon last night and we turned it off because "low" eventually got too hot.

Here it is packed up and ready to roll. I keep the water up top for highway driving and most dirt roads, but take it down for serious off-road. The rib in the floor is a perfect stop to keep it from wanting to slide back. I use a bungee to secure the little tables that the kids love (Table Mate 1000), great as TV tray table, don't think you're gonna put your stove on it though...

Tanks slide out on a drawer for easy maintenance.

Things on my to do list is to build an adapter to leverage the jump seat mount points to secure it better. I want to figure out how to make better use of the space along the curved inner wall of the van. Only major problem I'm struggling with right now is I was planning on placing a fridge with wall-mounted chuck box above it next to this thing, but I'd have to find a new home for the heater.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Nice adaptation, Mike!

However, I'd feel better if you always stowed the fresh water whenever you're moving - I'll bet that headrest isn't gonna stop 50 lbs. of water from taking off your head in a quick stop from 60 mph...

Just sayin.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dhaavers, it's strapped in tight enough that i think the container would fail before breaking free, but that probably is the smart thing to do... Actually, thats what I did on my last trip.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty slick little sink/cabinet/shower setup:

I'm also fond of the Syncro 16 it's attached to.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1288253

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got one of these

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

there is one for sale on ebay UK very rarely come up for sale.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Camper-T25-Bay-Kitche..._500wt_949

someone asked me a while back to keep an eye open for one, but i cant remember who Embarassed
not cheap though Shocked makes me want to list mine Laughing
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Nice kitchen pod Reply with quote

^^^^^^very cool! Didn't know what they were called specifically. Now that I know to search the web for "kitchen pod". All kinds of cool solutions are available in Europe. I liike this one... http://greendogcampers.com/GREEN_DOG_Campervans_VW...sions.html
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncromike
Im not sure if your heater works on its side?? I have the smaller older one and it doent workon its side.

But I have hung mine in the back of the truck canopy. So maybe a longer hose and straps that rap around the seat belt mounts? Kinda spider webby?

jcl
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a914622 wrote:
Syncromike
Im not sure if your heater works on its side?? I have the smaller older one and it doent workon its side.

But I have hung mine in the back of the truck canopy. So maybe a longer hose and straps that rap around the seat belt mounts? Kinda spider webby?

jcl

It's designed to work that way. I used the supplied template to drill the holes for horizontal mount. It only works where the hose comes up from the bottom though. It works well, a little too well. Wish it had a thermostat. I also have a CO monitor in that module and it's never made a peep.
lloydy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this stuff, very german. It's modular so you can have a whole interior or just a kitchen unit. It is not cheap stuff, they are the same people who did the camper version of the T5 Rockton
http://www.terracamper.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164&Itemid=191
It's not actually that different from your set up syncromike
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I'm also fond of the Syncro 16 it's attached to.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1288253
.when my Syncro grows up, it wants to be just like this one.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: kitchen Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Lots of good ideas here, some cost a lot. I just took a westy kitchen, cost $300 put it in with one bolt. put the water tank under the sink, 5 gals.My pump a windshield washer pump cost $10.00 at auto zone. Run the stove on 1 LBS cans. Run the frig. on 12 volt or 110 volt. Works great, good size, easy to get, looks good. Very Happy And you can find them in the USA.
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Themasterof42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: kitchen Reply with quote

joseph928 wrote:
Blue Bay Bus Lots of good ideas here, some cost a lot. I just took a westy kitchen, cost $300 put it in with one bolt. put the water tank under the sink, 5 gals.My pump a windshield washer pump cost $10.00 at auto zone. Run the stove on 1 LBS cans. Run the frig. on 12 volt or 110 volt. Works great, good size, easy to get, looks good. Very Happy And you can find them in the USA.

That's the way I'd like to go as well. Just gotta find one locally for a fair price. Seems like a nice simple setup that could be easily removable when more storage is needed.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS:
xoo00oox wrote:

...from HERE

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was dropping off a bunch of crap at the thrift store yesterday and, as is tradition, had to go inside and find some new crap to replace it with.

I found this funky little camp kitchen along all of the pieces (still sealed in bags) and the printed directions. It's called a "Dosko Campmate" and was apparently sold by Cabela's at one time.

The front folds out, the top comes off and doubles as a wash basin, and it has drawers and a a few other features. Your camp stove rides in the top, under the cover.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=77355

It appears to have never been used. It looks like it'll sit nicely behind the passenger seat and will work well at a campsite on a table. It was $15 so I couldn't pass it up. At the very least, it's a lot better than the storage tub I usually use for camp gear.

Between this and my $50 Yak box, I had a very economical weekend!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: scored a nice chuck box on local CL Reply with quote

Found this well-crafted handmade chuck box on local Craigslist this week. Got it for $35 fully-loaded.

The guy I bought it from said a now-deceased buddy of his hand made it years ago. It's held up well!
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ just need to figure out how to securely, but not permanently, mount it inside the van...
VwMomofthree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloydy wrote:
i got one of these

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

there is one for sale on ebay UK very rarely come up for sale.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Camper-T25-Bay-Kitche..._500wt_949

someone asked me a while back to keep an eye open for one, but i cant remember who Embarassed
not cheap though Shocked makes me want to list mine Laughing

How expensive?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: