Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowered Bus!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: Lowered Bus! Reply with quote

I bought a Bus Boys beam and boomerang kit for my 71'. The Bus is level but the front is sitting on the stops. Has anyone had problems with cuttung off the stops? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:18 am    Post subject: Lowered Bus! Reply with quote

I have the same set up on my 78. I used a port-a-band saw or u could use a sawz all and cut them off. U have to cut them off if u want it at its lowest point. Remember though that bus boys won't warrenty the beam or anything like that if you cut them off. They have a clause that I read somewhere about it. Also its a good Idea to get the shocks for a lowered suspension that they sell. Hey, on the rear after you lowered it did your wheels still squat in some? Mine did and was trying to figure out a way if possible to get them straight up and down again. Just curious. Hope I helped!!!

Laters James/ 78 bus
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Lowered Bus! Reply with quote

The rear wheels of my 71' are pretty good just a little lean to them. The bus sits level but I think it will ride like crap if I leave it sitting on the stops. I have not driven it yet. What size tires are you running on the 78'? Later, Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Lowered Bus! Reply with quote

I have wide 5 rims with 205 60 15 tires. Yeah if u want the beam adjusted to its lowest setting you will have to cut them off. It will ride like a rigid frame harley if you don't. It might even bend some stuff if u hit something hard enough, so if its gonna be low and ride near or on the bump stops, then I would cut them off. I did it and when i hit a dip and the suspension flexs pretty hard the wheels will barley rub the wheel wells. This will stop any travel before any of the suspension gets flexed to hard. I have only hit the wheel wells twice and I barley touched them. Its not like you are always hitting them and its some horrific sound or anything like that.

laters hope I helped

what tires are u planning on running?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Lowered Bus! Reply with quote

How did you get wide 5 rims on your bus?? i have a 73 westy and would like to put some rims on it with out customizing the wheele it self, any ideas??
and on the bus-boys website i cant seem to find the lowered front end, could you direct me to where this is located?
thanks for any help,
Tyler
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Lowered Bus! Reply with quote

You need to look for the Albatros (TM)front ajustable beam.As far as Wavepimp gettin those wide 5s on his 78.... He's a friend so I'll let him tell the tale LOL! DavidK. 71Deluxe69S/Cab.
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Lowered Bus! Reply with quote

I have wheel adapters that change the bolt pattern to a wide 5. The adapters I got are pretty beefy and after sticking 205 tires on it. Well it rubbed the rear wheel wells, so if you use adapters don't use a 205 width tire. I should have gone with a 195 and maybe it wouldn't have rubbed. So lets just say I just got some new rear fenders in from Rocky Mountain Motor works and I need to have keith weld them in with a lil bit of a flare to them. So keith if you read this let me know when u might have some time to do some welding and rear wheel well fixin!!!!
David have fun in Port A!!!

Laters James

Also if u use adapters u may won't to back weld the new studs you will u have to get for them because they just screw right in and they can back out real easy. Some just use lock-tite, depends on what u want to do.
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Lowered Bus! Reply with quote

PRAY FOR SURF! The way this summers goin a sacrifice may be needed. Wavepimp here you go again spendin more $$$ than needed. Hit hit Donnie or Pauls for the sheet metal. DavidK.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Lowered Bus! Reply with quote

James, whenever you can let it go for a few days... sorry i missed the call on that engine question my cell is a POS, got a new one finally today.... DK i owe you 6 heinie's (and a tune up!)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:45 am    Post subject: Lowered Bus! Reply with quote

I just got back from Port A, FINALLY the beam came from BusBoys. Now the deal will be timing this install, to put my Breadloaf in the weeds.James thanks for the loan of the roof rack it was really handy,alittle flimsy but handy. DavidK 71Deluxe,69S/Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: