Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of stock-type muffler differences
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Pictures of stock-type muffler differences Reply with quote

The stock-type muffler that came on my Ghia ran well, but had a seam leak that made me pull it off. I've been running a single quiet pack which I like, but wanted to test another stock muffler to see the effect on low end torque. I got a genuine VW muffler to clean up and install, when I looked inside the 1-3 inlet pipes. They were almost completely closed, with tiny holes to breathe through! How is it possible to get any power above 3k with this?!

Curious, I looked at the muffler that used to be on my car, because it used to rev freely and had no problems running the speedo off the scale. A glance inside the 1-3 inlets revealed that this muffler had a cone shaped insert with holes that provided much more flow capacity. I can't see me using the stock muffler with the way this engine likes to stretch it's legs, so I'll probably have the aftermarket muffler welded if possible. The difference between the two mufflers is below...

Stock muffler:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stock-type aftermarket muffler:

Here is the two mufflers, stock one on the bottom:

Stock muffler labeling. Does that say Typ2?

Aftermarket muffler... IGA brand?
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh, this is a can of worms.
The Factory VW one you have must be an older, like very old version. In fact I have only seen that type on single port engines. The stock mufflers from about 71 and newer had the cone like yours, but more holes in the side of the "tube".

There are a dozen or more aftermarket mufflers on the Market. A good deal of them is are not produced anymore due to the market decreasing rapidly.
in fact I only know 2 producers today: JP Group and Ernst.
The Ernst is by far the best when we talk general performance, as the pre heat system actually works on those. The JP Group muffler is OK performance wise, but the preheat doesnt work that well. there are a couple of "performance" stock mufflers. They are merely "opened up" in the baffleing inside, and has a significantly louder noise level. But they DO reduce back pressure and lets the engine rev freer and pulls a tad more power.

Leistritz mufflers were by far the best stock muffler ever produced. (They actually supplied VW to some extend during the last 4 years (In Germany) But they stopped about 3 years ago.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: