Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v TV and USB input
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: 12v TV and USB input Reply with quote

I've tried to get a straight answer from suppliers but I still don't know. I'm getting back to working on the interior of my hightop. The front bulkhead - opening shown here -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

will have its door hinged at the bottom and fold down. I want to mount an LED flatscreen TV on the door, it'll be upside down with the door in the closed position, viewable when the door is opened.
The question is, there are lots of TV DVD combinations out there - and a few with USB ports. Its a lot handier to have movies on a USB memory stick than on a bunch of DVD's - they don't get scratched etc etc -
So the question that I can't seem to get a straight answer to and therefore put "out there" to the group's collective wisdom ...
Will a TV with a USB input, be able to play moies from a USB memory stick? If so, can one scroll through a list of the movies on the stick to select the one you want to play?
Thanks folks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my home system I have a Western Digital box that feeds the tv via hdmi and regularly play movies off a usb stick, no problems, works well. It's a few years old so things should work better if anything now.
Leavin to Live
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is; Yes and No.
I doubt the Television itself will be able to manage the USB drive however there should be a few choices as to how to get the data transferred. Ie, You can't play DVD's without a DVD player! I'd suggest going to Fry's or Bestbuy (other electronics stores) and talk to the guys in the computer/laptop departments. Obviously be very clear that all you want is something that will feed your television .AVI (or other format).

I'd imagine you're really looking for something like this; http://www.amazon.com/CiragoTV-Mini-USB-Media-Play...amp;sr=1-2

I found it by Google searching for "usb movie player".
giller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding a cheap tablet (iPad1 or Blackberry tablet) may be an easier solution. Direct plug-in with the TV, no worries about formatting, able to download movies from a wi-fi spot, could watch HD movies, etc.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flat screen is about a year old. It has a USB input, and can play a movie from a stick, however if there is too many movies on the stick, the processor in the TV can not read it. The spec is listed in the user manual.
My DVD player has a USB input, and the processor in it must be a lot larger as it has handled any size file and quantity I've put in it.
Finding a flat screen with a 12 volt input in itself will be a challenge. How about a lap top?
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: all-in-one pc Reply with quote

I'd probably go with an all-in-one PC. The HP and Dells come with a wireless mouse/keyboard and you could get a Windows Media Center remote. You can go up to 27" if your budget allows.

They run on 19V or so DC power, so you'd have to get an auto adapter to step up the voltage.

I wouldn't do a tablet because they relay on touchscreen for most input, and any TV that would run on 12V would probably not have high quality electronics to run the codecs for the video formats.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:
On my home system I have a Western Digital box that feeds the tv via hdmi and regularly play movies off a usb stick, no problems, works well. It's a few years old so things should work better if anything now.

x2 easy, just works. Also plays music and internet media.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always lots of ways to accomplish what you have in mind
I decided to go down another route... using a 'NetTop' micro PC as a media server.
If you look around, you can find them for a pretty reasonable price.
Why I like this setup is you also end up with a fully functioning PC as well as having lots of movies and music available

I copies the below from this thread
(http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=20

82WestyMan wrote:
Having a 'Media Server' in the Westy has intrigued my for awhile. I wanted something that would work with the little 15" TV I put in a couple years ago (since TV reception is usually lousy in the woods) and I was tired fooling around with mini DVD player all those discs
Now I'm sure everyone's heard of those Netbooks but there was an offshoot of them called NetTops, same power but in little package. Problem was, the price point just wasn't right.
A couple of months ago, NewEgg had a Giada i33 on sale for $180 (Atom processor, 1GB RAM, 250 GB HD, 4 USB, HDMI, Wireless b/g/n, Ethernet, but 'bare-bones / No O/S... currently $200)... finally!!!
So I got it, a 2 GB stick of RAM ($30) and a 750 GB, 7200rpm HD for $85... so i have less $300 in it
So loaded a copy of Win 7 Home on it, my MP3 collection (50GB / 600 CDs) and started loading up DVDs (currently over 100) and still have over 200 GB left on the HD
Now how to control it without having a clunky keyboard and mouse? Found this thing called "iPazzPort", keyboard and mouse, small, 2.4 gHz (not bluetooth)... good reviews and only $32
So here's my set up
15" Hi-Def TV on an arm (i have a post about that), Win7, Wifi Giada velcro'ed on back, HDMI to the TV and ipazzport.... 600 albums and well over 100 movies

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kurt vonnagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Western Digital box will do what you want. Not 12v but is solid state no moving parts to wear your battery down to fast. Like a dvd player spinning will.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: