Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

God help me, I'm a newbie. (How to jump my battery in '87)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpiemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: God help me, I'm a newbie. (How to jump my battery in '87) Reply with quote

Ok, yea, I know.

So I have been putting off purchasing a manual for my newly purchased '87 Vanagon--I've been having too much fun driving it.

Today when I went to jump into my vehicular and drive away, when I realized that it was in need of a jump. Sad

So how exactly does one GET to the battery compartment which is uh, under the driver's seat?

Any tricks?

Spanks a million.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know how to adjust the seat - moving it forward and backward right?

pull the lever on right of the seat, the one that moves the seat - not the one for adjusting the back - move the seat all the way forward - open the trap door for the battery under the seat.

do you know how to fill the windshield washer bottle?

how to check the brake fluid level?

the Bentley or Haynes manual are your friend...

Very Happy
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the herd!

The starting battery is under the right seat..

Slide it forward.

Lift up the hinged cover.

Viola!

The other side, left, usually has the auxiliary / house battery, if one is fitted.

Enjoy!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Bubusse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your van came from UK or SA or such places, the proper battery to jump start shouldn't be under the driver's seat but under the passenger's, that is the right hand side. Get the seat forward, open, and go ahead...
Mind you, mine is manual and so is my other car, and I live in a hilly place, so if a battery is too tired for some reason (never happened to the westy, but it sometimes happens to the suzuki in the middle of our freezing quebec winters), I just let it roll downhill and if it's really the battery, it has no choice but to start...
Congratulations on your new purchase, make sure to buy a manual (I actually like the Haynes, easier for me to follow), make sure the basics are taken care of (that would be fuel lines and brakes, IMHO) and enjoy the ride !
Oh, and post pictures Wink
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find a Haynes for the Vanagon. I have the Haynes for the Jetta TD AAZ tho. I like pics but I like to read too.

Welcome and you'll need more than God, a good wallet and sometimes flying by the seat of your pants AND at least one good Premium road side assistance and getting your hands dirty Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Leavin to Live
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let the other guys fool ya. Almost every first time buyer of a westy/vanagon had this issue. There's a number of things to get used to when getting your first van. For example, I dare you to find the transaxle!! Laughing Wink Wink
Bubusse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DAIZEE : Got my Haynes from Busdepot along with other orders. Way cheaper than the Bentley, too...
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks, will check it out.

Magpie: people so busy getting you under the correct seat that forgetting the common order of business: Change your fuel lines with top quality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bubusse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hint : fuel lines start from the fuel tank and end up all around the engine... Laughing
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we having pulling legs from a newbie?

Very Happy

welcome... we are here to help...

and yes.. changing the fuel lines is a top most priority...
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me thinks bubusse has a good sense of humor. Laughing
Bubusse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, obviously, I was joking ! Indeed, welcome here, it's a lot of fun, and more information than one can digest...
The bad thing about battery, though, is not finding it to jump start it, it's when you actually have to take it out of there for the first time...
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

removing the battery is a pita. I've put big strong nylon ties on each side to help me lift it out. Then just stuff them down the sides. Also if you don't have a battery post table then put a piece of rubber or something so the metal lid doesn't settle on the live side.
magpiemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks so much. Smile

Pullin' legs huh???

Was just thinking this morning how I probably needed to go ahead and get a manual before I needed one Smile

Nice timing.

Smile
joel72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its under the passenger seat move the seat all the way forward lift the cover theres your battery booyah
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next challenge= find where to add fluid to front w-shield washers. As for pulling batt i use an' ancient' strap with flat metal ends that slip down over posts.

Last edited by morymob on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joel72 wrote:
its under the passenger seat move the seat all the way forward lift the cover theres your battery booyah

Passenger vs. Driver seat is relative: magpiemamama lists her/his location as Oz, which I presume is Australia, which implies RHD. So... move the Right seat, or Driver's seat, forward, open the magic door, and replace the battery if it needs frequent jumping! Actually, check and clean the cable to post connections, make sure the plates are submerged in electrolyte (top up with distilled water), and check to see if it's got a date code on it. The battery may be fine and just need maintenance, it could be old and not trustworthy, or you could be like me and forget to turn the parking lights off.

Happy motoring!
Paul
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol re washer fluid. I looked everywhere, even crawled underneath, then I had a brain moment and I remembered that in the "old" days the bright head lite switch was up & over under the left foot and by golly there was the opening. I know bright lite and washer fluid don't have a connection except for location Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: