Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop Rehabilitation Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress is coming along nicely at the body shop. Mike did an amazing job on the bumpers, these things were all sorts of smashed and scratched up:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the seam work at the rear wheel wells has been completed:

Windows have been pulled:

Mike had a sample of the color I picked out (Atlas Grey Metallic from Porsche's 2011 line-up) mixed up and he sprayed a mirror and the slider door cover for me. It turned out, or appears, much darker than we had anticipated--almost black.

Really nice color, but too dark for me, too much of a deviation from the original color, and I think probably the wrong color for the mostly dark and dreary PNW. A new sample is being mixed up and applied as I type for me to approve this afternoon--BMW's Space Grey Metallic. My dad has it on his 2010 M3 convertible and loves it (I have never seen it in person unfortunately).

We also plan to do something a little different with the paint, but I'll wait to show pictures of the final product before revealing that.

'87 Wolfsburg Weekender, Bostig Zetec

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Getting ready for Paint-Space Grey Metallic Reply with quote

Here are the samples of the Space Grey Metallic color. I put it next to the Atlas Grey Metallic for reference. In some lights, these colors actually look very similar, but for the most part, the Atlas Grey is very dark.

The Space Grey Metallic is very similar to the OEM Wolfram Grey Metallic, but without the green hue that that the Wolfram color has. The Space Grey also has more color range.

Anybody know where I can get Hemp automotive fabric (I suppose outdoor fabric would do as well)?

The rehabilitation of my Van can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5949024#5949024
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Australian Weekender Reply with quote

Luckyphil wrote:
G'day this is as close as I could get to making my van into a real weekender Smile

Nice sticker. I am looking at some stickers, but not sure how I want to go yet. My son wants me to put on an Iron Man sticker.....we'll see.

My brother-in-law has been slowly converting his 7 passenger '86 to a a weekender with weekender interior parts from the samba classifieds. He already installed some jump seats, I think he is doing the flip up panel this weekend.

Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Looks like the twin to my '88 Wolfsburg. I'd love to put new paint on mine, but it's really not that horrible and there's no budget for it. Maybe that can be my gift to it when it's 10 or 20 year anniversary of my custodianship rolls around.

Paul
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:
Nice job! Looks like the twin to my '88 Wolfsburg. I'd love to put new paint on mine, but it's really not that horrible and there's no budget for it. Maybe that can be my gift to it when it's 10 or 20 year anniversary of my custodianship rolls around.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I was looking at some old pictures of my van last night and I was wondering if all this work was really necessary. I think given all the small areas of rust and minor dings I had, I'll be much happier with a completely refinished van. In terms of having the budget for it, I am selling a 2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited to fund this project, otherwise I wouldn't have the funds either.

I figure if it's going to be a daily driver and my only car, I want it to be in tip top shape. Now I need to figure out if it will ever stop or if I'll constantly be fixing up things here and there.

Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kopasz wrote:
Now I need to figure out if it will ever stop or if I'll constantly be fixing up things here and there.

I've got a Subaru Outback and the Vanagon. The Subie gets maintenance and repairs... I'm trying to keep it looking nice, running well, and I want to try to get 300k miles out of it. The Vanagon gets maintenance, repairs, upgrades, mods... it's my preferred daily driver, camper, home on the road, photography blind, material hauler, etc. I'd like to push it to 300k miles too. It's just a car, a machine, but every VW Van I've ever had has also been a hobby and constant work in progress. I doubt I'll ever stop repairing and modding it to suit me.

pd
vwjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth my '87 Wolfy has 235k on the clock, I plan to make 300k also. Very Happy

BTW- The restoration is coming along very nice, makes me wanna do body work and repaint mine. The orig. paint looked great in 2005 when I got her, but the Florida sun and tight parking spaces have wreaked havoc. Crying or Very sad

I'll be watching the progress. Cool
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Paint is nearly complete Reply with quote

The van was painted yesterday and has also received the clear coat. I have only seen text message pictures, but it looks pretty sweet. Bumpers still need to sprayed and then I can start putting her back together.

I am now stuck with planning what to do next and in what order. I decided that I want to re-do the headliner as well, so now that the windows are out, I think is best to do it now before I put the windows back in. Problem is it is raining here in Portland and it will be for another week or so--that, and I am not sure what I plan to use for the headliner......or how to do it.

I'll try to get some pictures up later today after I have one to see the van this morning.

Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anxiously awaiting pics! One day I hope to do the same...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gonewesty4good wrote:
Anxiously awaiting pics! One day I hope to do the same...

Here you go! This is how the van looked yesterday. It's awesome in person and especially in the direct sun light (which we had very little of yesterday).

I was planning on putting Mercedes style chrome letters for badging, but I am thinking of leaving the van badgeless--any thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

I forgot to get photos of the black bits (side vents, valence, grillls) but they look great. The bumpers had black sealer on them in preparation for body color paint and they looked brand new-super smooth.

I'm headed over to the shop this afternoon to start putting everything back together.

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badges?!! We don't need no stinking badges!!!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Badges?!! We don't need no stinking badges!!!

That what I'm feeling too....

Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Satin clear coat Reply with quote

I think I forgot to mention that the clear coat is a satin finish. No glossy finish but no textured surface either like those expensive hot rod builder finishes that are a pain to care for. The finish is smooth and water beads up on the paint, but the satin forces your eyes to stop at the van rather than get lost in the reflection.

I think it kicks ass. Not for everybody, I know, and I am sure people will have their opinions, but I love it.

This color finish is also called Frozen Grey by BMW and can be ordered on current, or late models of the M3.

berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for Paint-Space Grey Metallic Reply with quote

Kopasz wrote:
Anybody know where I can get Hemp automotive fabric (I suppose outdoor fabric would do as well)?

Have you looked into hemp upholstery fabric?

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/decor/upholstery-...fabric.htm

I've never ordered from this site so I can't vouch for them or anything. I can't find much in the way of automotive-specific hemp fabric, but upholstery fabric should be more or less the same thing and there seems to be more availability out there in the internet tubes.
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Getting ready for Paint-Space Grey Metallic Reply with quote

berkeleyjack wrote:
Kopasz wrote:

Have you looked into hemp upholstery fabric?

http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/decor/upholstery-...fabric.htm

I've never ordered from this site so I can't vouch for them or anything. I can't find much in the way of automotive-specific hemp fabric, but upholstery fabric should be more or less the same thing and there seems to be more availability out there in the internet tubes.

Thanks Jack. I ended up going to a local auto upholstery shop. They didn't have any hemp, but they didn't think it would have the right properties for the application. I went with a grey tweed upholstery fabric.

Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Satin clear coat complete--needs correction Reply with quote

The van is back from Complete Masters now and it has been for a week or two. After seeing how the paint was turning out, I decided I couldn't let the nasty old headliner stay in there, so now I have thrown a wrench into my progress. Here is the van body work complete:

One problem is the clear coat we used. I picked up a less expensive product and it was a mistake. It doesn't feather with coats well and in the right light, you can see some bad feathering at the a large section on the driver side of the van. Mike at Complete Masters did research and found that the proper way to fix it is re-do the clear coat with the superior product. I'll take it back to him after the headliner and interior work is complete and we'll do it again.

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very nice. I LOVE silver and like the idea of the satin clearcoat.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
berkeleyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great color, almost a gunmetal grey. The satin finish is a nice touch too. Can't wait to see the new upholstery!
Krautski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good stuff. The color you picked for it looks great on that big box. Very Happy

Atlas Grey Met was an OG Mk2 color, I wonder if Porsche's is the same formula.

Quote:
I stopped reading after volksaru and busaru
Kopasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody, glad you like the color.

I can't wait to put it all back together and start driving again!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: