Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig A/C Pictures?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Bostig A/C Pictures? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any pictures of their bostig with A/C setup?

It is one of the last things to complete. I am going to take the van to an A/C place to have hoses made up, but would like to see pics of the hose routing and maybe the wiring. If nothing more than for moral support!

I have most of the parts in hand and will figure it out on my own and with the directions on the bostig site when I get some time. But it would be nice to have a few pics for myself and even the A/C people.

thanks,
Dave
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
scottf3334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG its like samba psychic.

Just 10 mins ago we were talking of hooking up the A/C in the bostig conversion. Already have the pigtail, focus compressor and Doc's Block.

Going to go samba searching for pictures after looking at todays new posts and saw this thread Shocked
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423893&highlight=john+sullivan
scottf3334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the other thread, good pictures Thanks John Very Happy

One issue is that I ordered the fitting from Docs Blocks that is 90 degrees. I'm assuming the reason the Bostig guys wanted that, is to bring the hoses down to the oil pan quickly. I guess I'll need 45 degree fittings to mate to the docs block.

Today I went to my local hydraulic hose shop.

He said I would have to remove both hoses so he could splice in new fittings.

I called 3 other shops and no one can do splices on the vehicle. (Seems like in Florida I shouldn't be the only one to need AC hoses made up).

He said $150 for both hoses, but they have to come off. Not sure what I want to do yet.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking around. Talk to the boat guys. There are lots of mobile hydraulic repair outfits around here for the fishing fleets. Those hoses don't come out.
sanfordphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I had the AC up and working in my syncro camper for about 15 months now, works great! Make sure you do (or have done) a full system clean and replace all the bits. I had the system installed about two years ago but it failed and had it cleaned etc, this time its been a charm.

I've got to change the oil this weekend/ next week and will post a few pics then.

S

91 syncro camper
Bostig (17k miles and loving it) AC and cruise control too
owed and loved for 12+ years

btw, if I remember correctly we modified the block, ran the hoses underneath, and I added some wire to the pigtail to make a nice run with the other wires in the very back. - sorry, it was awhile ago.
John Sullivan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have this done easily. The High hose can be run out over the wheel near the dryer. There is plenty of hose for the AC house to access. They cut off the fitting and added the new hose section using the double barb called out in my previous thread, which is already connected to the new piece. They just used a portable crimper on the barb. He only charged me $10 to do the job. It took like 5 min. I then went home and completed the connections. My AC works great and has for 2 years. I do own a vacuum pump and guages. I would return the 90 degree docs block for a straight.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He said $150 for both hoses, but they have to come off. Not sure what I want to do yet.

If you are bringing the hoses and fittings, that is a rip off. I brought my new hoses and fittings to our local hydraulic supply shop and they did them for free. I tipped the guy $20 just to ease my guilt. I purchased the new barrier type hose and hose fittings from Vintage Air. Something stinks. Good thing you posted. I used Mako Hose in West Palm Beach. mark
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I am getting ready to start in on the wiring and found the wires I had coiled up. Do you recognize the large red wire with loop what did that go to? It wasn't labeled and I am looking back through a million pictures to try to figure it out. also what is the small wire with the yellow connector that comes out of the AC plug?
Just wondering if I can eliminate them all together.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this pic

found that the red wire went to the ALT. I would think that this is the supply for all of the relays in the back cabinet? if so I would have to rewire that into my ALT new alt again correct?

and wire B? I can't recall where that went.
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering if you ever got this sorted out the wires on this picture? Need to handle this in the next two weeks. Would love to get it right the first time.

Thanks
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WandS wrote:
Wondering if you ever got this sorted out the wires on this picture? Need to handle this in the next two weeks. Would love to get it right the first time.

Thanks

Sorry, I didn't see this post till now.

***UPDATE*** Doc's Blocks no longer sells direct. They deal through Vintage Air now and they don't sell the 90degree block that the bostig site tells you to use. Since the 90degree was bent the wrong direction on the compressor I am using I need to use John Sullivan's straight block set up. (another $50).

It is Vintage Air Part Number 045017.

I am going to be hooking it up as soon as I get the new block.

Thanks to Buildyourown's suggestion, I have located an AC guru from the local marinas who is going to help out!

The thick Red wire I believe gets hooked back up to the Alternator. and the other wires get extended and then fitted with the new plug end.

hope this helps
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
Brungeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

****A/C compressor**** when purchasing an AC compressor there are 3 options. The parts supplier will ask if you want a "3'O-clock, 6'O-clock or 12'O-clock" compressor. These positions pertain to the position of the wiring harness from the coil. The outlets on the back are all in the same position.

PURCHASE A 6'O-clock compressor or you can change the position of the coil's wire harness with a few minutes work. The 3'Oclock compressor may in fact be cheaper if you don't mind tearing the clutch off and repositioning the harness. The harness on the 3'oclock version is in direct conflict with the muffler. So be warned of that.
71 Baywindow RIP
1972 Super RIP
1969 Bug RIP
1974 Super RIP
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed this thread until now . . . . I also posted on John Sullivan's thread . . . .

Here's my experience and photos
Reviving the thread to add another example of a Bostig A/C conversion using the Focus FS10 compressor connected to the stock Vanagon system.

New Compressor, Expansion Valve, Receiver/Drier, o-rings, "jumper hoses," completely cleaned/flushed system, refilled with Envirosafe (RedTek type hydrocarbon refrigerant) and Double end capped PAG46.

I owe a lot to the Samba, especially John Sullivan, http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/, and of course the "DIY Red Tek Conversion" thread and Terry Kay.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292488&highlight=redtek+diy

I took a ton of pictures to document my process, thinking I may be able to make things easier for the next guy who wants to get his A/C working.

One unique Bostig related problem is that after removing the old VW wiring in the engine bay, the wire that provides power to the 50A fuse block in the closet is no longer "live." I had to make up a new wire to provide power to this panel for the system to work. Here are my photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/13VelosdeRemi/BostigACConversionAug2013#

I still have to put my plenum back in, and maybe try to fine tune the system pressure, but it was nice driving in 98 heat today and feeiing the blast of cool air. Too bad I missed most of the summer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: