Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaving the Bus scene.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Leaving the Bus scene. Reply with quote

I have been thinking about leaving the bus scene for a while. I have been into VW's for over 15 years. I've done ghias, bugs, watercooled, and the past few years, split buses. I've learned so many things and realized there are so many more to learn. I've labored for hours in the garage. Sometimes to keep the bus on the road, other times just to relax. I have recovered a bus from the salvage yard. Traded multiple vehicles for one bus. Traded a good busfor a not so good one. Bought a parts bus. So, basically, i've made every rookie mistake. I made the mistake of jumping in without first testing the waters. I just can't see, ever , finishing my bus. There is no way i'll ever have the money to get it painted like it should be. I have a large family to support, and feel like my bus is actually taking away from them at the present time. Both me and the wife are in school right now, so maybe one day , we'll have the means and time to buy a bus again. For now, i think i'm going to sell or trade my bus and perhaps pick up an early beetle. Maybe a vert for the wife. Anyone ever feel like this? Maybe this is just a funk i'm in due to the holidays. Who knows?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't use the bus for daily transportation and like the idea of a bus, I'd say cover it up and do something else for a while. Spend time with the fam, build a jigsaw puzzle, paint the house, study hard and get an A in phyiscs... and then come back to the bus in the spring.
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interested in a vert ghia?... Wink
Bart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveM wrote:
study hard and get an A in phyiscs...

LOL
smalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RustyPanel wrote:

WHAT YEAR IS THE GHIA?
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving the Bus scene. Reply with quote

rusty57 wrote:
Maybe trade the wife for a vert. Maybe this is just a funk i'm in due to the holidays. Who knows?

not a funk, i know the feeling. rock on brother!!

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smalls wrote:
RustyPanel wrote:

WHAT YEAR IS THE GHIA?

sorry rusty- didn't mean to hijack- (yeah i did). at the moment I don't know. It's in a VW shop that has been closed. I have spoken to the owner about the salvage yard and will be going back Sat. When I called Monday, I got his wife and she said which ghia vert????? There are 2- one there and another in a barn. I hope to get pics and at least some inkling on price and year. The owner I don't think has any interest in whats sitting there- so, hopefully cheap... Wink

Anyway- Like Dave said- drop a blaket over it and let it sit til spring- the winter can make you less wanting to screw with things on a cold garage floor-
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to have these same feelings now and then. My southwind heater breaks down all the time, which makes for cold morning drives to take my kids to school. Looking at the cold little faces makes me think its not far to them. But when ever I even think about selling the kombi or any of my VWs, they protest. They'll beg me not to sell it, claiming they would like to beable to drive it one day.
Lets face it, you have to be die hard to drive one of these things every day. Its cold in the grage, and colder on the side of the road. I had to do a 6 hour round trip yesterday in my kombi. I must of stopped 10 times to make little adjustments. About half way through the trip the SW broke down again, Things were alittle cool, but the og heater works, so I made it.
I've had my kombi for 14 years, so I can't just let go.
Good luck, only you can make this decisions.
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving the Bus scene. Reply with quote

UZI wrote:
rusty57 wrote:
Maybe trade the wife for a vert. Maybe this is just a funk i'm in due to the holidays. Who knows?

not a funk, i know the feeling. rock on brother!!

HA_HA_HA, No if i trade my wife for something, it will be a complete 23 window barndoor or something like it. J/k

Yes, i'd be very interested in a vert ghia. When will you know more details?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUNKIE...................
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65sambafun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Decision Reply with quote

My two cents: at 22 years of age, I sold all my VW's and parts claiming to no longer be interested in smelly heat and setting valves. Eighteen years later, I have three of them. I think it's kind of like a diet. You lose it at first...but then you really gain it back.

I agree to put it away for awhile and let it sit. You'll know in the summer what you really need to do.
'73 Thing
chrome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did exactly this in 1988, sold EVERYTHING, claiming to be done, even passed up the 68 double bubble i know own for $200.00, which i paid $3000.00 for 2 years ago(my dad bought it new and had to buy it this time around) wrap up your bus and keep it, because when the fire rekindles itself(which it will) youll kick your self in the ass so hard it will take years to find your shoe, i gave up a 56 23 window with semephores on this same type of thinking, now im back with a yard full again, around 15 again
68 fastback
73 Thing
74 Thing
54 chevy 210
63 mercury meteor wagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave away a truckload of type 3 parts years ago thinking I would never own another, ended up buying alot of the same parts I sold to fix my last type 3 when I was thinking like you are right now. When supporting a family it's hard not to look at the cars that are in need of alot of work thinking I'd be better off selling. I have done that too and regretted it.(wish I still had the 55 bus!) The prices of buses have gone up big time in the last 15 years and the quality of the affordable ones is getting pretty bad. I would suggest you think it over for a while first. You'll have an easier time selling it after the first of the year anyways cause hardly anything car related sells right before christmas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaving the Bus scene. Reply with quote

rusty57 wrote:
Anyone ever feel like this? Maybe this is just a funk i'm in due to the holidays. Who knows?

It's probably a FUNK due to the holidays. Ride them out see how you feel after opening a gift or 2 and a few drinks and kiss from your wife at New Years.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
robot909
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rusty57...

I feel you... I have a bus sitting in my car-port, with the engine out - stripped to a long block, with no help to carry it upstairs to work on it on the patio. The days get dark early, its cold, gotta work full time, and not even make enough money to buy parts to get it running.
Got tons of body work, but even if the engine runs, still gotta redo the brakes.
Used to love that "old vw smell", now it makes me nauseous...

Its only been almost three weeks since I pulled her from her early grave, and I'm making progress, but its not easy.

I've had quite a few vw's, but that all ended about 10 years ago. My last bus was a '67 deluxe, I sold it then but I did not fully appreciate what I had. The feeling never went away.

I took a big risk by buying my current bus after being out of the VW world for almost a decade, but something made me crave that feeling again. I would rather be getting something done on the bus tonight, but I'm just chilling in the house and watching tv - taking a break from it.
Sometimes you have to do that.

A couple of days ago, I met a very enthusiastic bus owner, just after talking with him on the phone, I went downstairs and got "just a bit" done, just to move forward. I also installed my "dice" suicide ball on the steering wheel and the shifter extension knob that I held onto for almost a decade, hoping one day to install it in my new bus - and roll down the road listening to that purring engine in the back, while I pull up to the instersection - peeking out my sliding window as I hit my camel nonfilter... The car next to me is wondering what I'm driving, the guys are fearful as they do not know what they are dealing with, but I don't care, I'm just winking at the cuties in the back, and they smile back, cause they see all that cargo space back in my bus and it gets them all wet.... when the light turns green, I step on the pedal and bring to life the 40 horses of death... I'm quickly engulfed in the tire smoke of my opponent, but not before the girlies notice the pirate logo on my bus and they see a message on my split windshield, conveniently printed in reverse letters (like the ambulance), quoting a mysterious message: "panties check-in, but they don't check-out"

Life goes on. Rust keeps on eating my bus away, but I'll keep at it... one bolt at a time.

-P

-1964 micro
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biggraham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ I know exactly how you feel, having a 13 month old and lawyers bills up the ying-yang!
I've put so much love, time and money in my bus, I know it'll never be a peach, but beauty's only skin deep, so the paint doesn't really worry me, and chrome won't get you home, so there goes detailing and expensive accessories!
My bus has been off the road since BYoB, due to a fuel leak, dodgy sender and the perverse desire to degunk the engine compartment, not to mention problems with dual carb linkages and their delivery....
Cover, relax and read magazines and stay on the forum, that tends to get me through....
All the Best
Graham
Bongo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm lucky, even thru our financial crises, my wife would not let me sell my bus. I lost track of the times I offered, but she refused point blank. She can't for the life of her understand the attraction of a cold concrete garage floor, the scream of a grinder and the skinned knuckles, but she 'knows', so I've never got to the stage that you describe above. I can imagine it tho' but if you can afford not to sell it, chuck a blanket over it and throw yourself into something else. Your inspiration will return someday, and then you'll be soooooo glad you've still got that old fraulein out under wraps, just waiting for you!
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have kids so i can't identify w/ you there but i was 13k in credit debt and when i thought i was going to off my bus, i just tried to pinch pennies in other areas. now the debt is gone, i have a gas credit card that i pay off monthly and am getting into "soon-to-be-married debt!" try to put the bus on the back burner and when the shows start up again, go to one and that will help you get motivated again! good luck whatever you decide. just remember, you will come back at some point. vws never leave the system!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boscoitalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: too damn expensive.... Reply with quote

I bought a rat 66 Lotus white deluxe about 10 years ago. Drove it all over- California to Colorado and back, did all the mods -camper interior, Westy stuff (roof was caved in so I installed a Westy pop top on a delux -real vw bastard shit) I sold it for nothing... put time and cash in. Fast forward - I got lucky last year -03 to get a swweeet deal on a single cab. A real beaut- rust free from Santa Cruz.. I hate where the vw scene is going but I love my vw.. when I see trucks WORSE than mine going for over 2k more than I bought mine for it tells me - keep it, tinker on it make it my VW - shit If you sell it you will regret it. They dont come cheap these days.
oilspot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to call it off and sell everything to take care of your family. You just don't sink any more cash into it for the time being.
I never really have the money to put into my bus. It took me three years to get my bus on the road due to my work, family, etc. Now I'm driving it daily, and it's a hell of a lot cheeper than a car payment keeping it going.
I'd say just put it all on the back burner as long as you need.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: