Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics or it didn't happen! Imagine pre digital cameras, oh well then we wouldn't be here even Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smokey Orange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my badges finished up and installed today... Just in time for friends to drop of the motor!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that across your lower rear end? I like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smokey Orange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
What's that across your lower rear end? I like it.

Thanks! As for the lower portion it reads 2.3 Turbo. I had to pull the badge from a Saab 900s for the 2.3 and a Volvo 850 for the turbo... They are the same font.

I'm cleaning a Volvo B230FT 2.3l turbo Inline 4 as we speak Smile Going to have to fab everything. Have a Saab APC piggyback electronic knock based setup going into the mix. Projecting mid 200's for the base tune. I'm from the Nissan sports camp... all this is new to me, the engine and van, but it's going to be awesome.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops sorry I meant the grill like arranged on your LOWER rear end under hatch Laughing
Smokey Orange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I knew that's what you meant... but I didn't think so because that's how mine came. It's the sheet metal with the bumper assembly removed. I got her in december and she looked like that (minus rust removal and paint) with a welded on tow bar for a bumper.

I've never seen her other then naked back there. Are they not all like that? Perhaps an add on for GL's with fiberglass bumpers. She's an '88 GL 7-pass.

Last edited by Smokey Orange on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made my own one of these that GW sells for $75, my cost $10 in material from Walmart.
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23599&category_id=57&category_parent_id=

The one that I made is a bit different. I usually have my GW slider screen door on the Westy
while we are camping. That big curtain on the out side of the screen door would be pretty
useless, I thought! The material I bought is the same gray color as my curtains but is an
outside canvas with a waterproof back. Instead of using the slide track for the curtain, I
put in snaps above where the screen door snaps in, and I'll be able to easily unsnap or
snap the new curtain in place as needed. It has a nice fit and I won't have to worry about
a curtain getting soaked or blowing in the wind.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm now I don't know. Can't remember how my 84 Westy GL Wolfsburg looked. My Vanagon L doesn't look like that nor do I recall ever seeing it. But I have limited exposure.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
mmm now I don't know. Can't remember how my 84 Westy GL Wolfsburg looked. My Vanagon L doesn't look like that nor do I recall ever seeing it. But I have limited exposure.

Remove the bumper and see?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I don't remove the bumper and crawl underneath back I should be able to see it right.?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
if I don't remove the bumper and crawl underneath back I should be able to see it right.?

Yes
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

Smokey Orange
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically even though mine was jacked up, it's one of my favorite lines on the body, right up there with the tops of the front wheel arches!

Thanks for the photo Timwhy!
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drained/replaced the gearbox oil.
Installed a manual switch for the biscuit fans on my fridge.
Replaced the fan switch on the radiator.

Biology is destiny...choose your mutations carefully
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished installation of Fanchers poptop insulation kit, kit looks great and included great instructions and all parts needed. Very happy with this purchase, good quality. Testing it first weekend of May in Yosemite.

Finally mounted my 135w Kyocera solar panel to my poptop Yakima rack crossbars using SS U bolts and their backing plates. Solid. I was tired of carrying that big panel inside while on the road.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
nelinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted up the fiamma f35 pro.

Cant wait to get out and use it.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nelinor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted up the fiamma f35 pro.

Cant wait to get out and use it.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ohlott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see some pics!

madspaniard wrote:
Finished installation of Fanchers poptop insulation kit, kit looks great and included great instructions and all parts needed. Very happy with this purchase, good quality. Testing it first weekend of May in Yosemite.

Finally mounted my 135w Kyocera solar panel to my poptop Yakima rack crossbars using SS U bolts and their backing plates. Solid. I was tired of carrying that big panel inside while on the road.

MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled my fridge out to give it a once over and to remove the fiberglass insulation behind it. No rust!

Would it be a good idea to remove the rubber plug that's in the floor so that any water that gets back there will drain out or will it end up letting more moisture in Question
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got down under the back and yes I have those grill holes too but mine don't look any where near as good as yours. Actually they are filthy. Will wash when I wash van. I'm thinking of painting the bottom section black. That's not a priority for sure.

Well today I STRUGGLED but got the dash back in by myself. I really did need help but no one was available. What a tough job. Then getting the dash between the 2 brackets and the steering column was a PITA. Pushing lifting with my shoulder and prying with a flat head. But I came out victorious. In the beginning I wanted to quit but knew I couldn't. I'm sure finding the tough me some days.

Rewiring all 4 gauges and 1 meter, well was a mess! I labelled but most of the labelling meant not much. gggggrrrrrr Oh well I did it and I had to deal with it. Have 1 female connector left over! Embarassed Going to take a pic of mess.

Tomorrow will do cluster and heating controls. Radio can wait until I'm driving it.

After getting that glow plug thingie straightened out last week, I knocked one of the wires off so have to figure out again how I did it Rolling Eyes Brick wall

You know I enjoyed driving the van last fall, well this year I am REALLY going to enjoy it because I did this work!!!! I know y'all told me so Laughing
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause
well deserved in such a huge task
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 252 of 629

Jump to: