Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

front air ride question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
imryannn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: front air ride question Reply with quote

I bought my 67 with a 6" narrowed beam, with no shock towers, and what wondering how i could set up air ride in the front...
i have seen single bag set ups but dont really understand how they work due to the pictures not showing it well

any setups you guys run or can show me would be awesome
shadeddave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beams with the single bag are actually shown in multiple pictures in the classifieds.
I welded angle irons to the inside fenderwell and then drilled a hole through both to mount the upper shock and lower shock relocators to correct the angle and allow the air shock to raise the front.
It takes 120 psi to raise the front without any occupants.
However with occupants it requires 150 plus psi to raise.
If I had it all to do over I would go for the single front bag.
bagged59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my setup. It only takes about 90 psi to lift it and I get about 8 inches of adjustment. If you do something like this, be prepared to get a ration of shit for cutting up the spare tire well to make room for the bag. Mine was already cut when I bought it Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The middle portion of the beam was basically cut out and sleeved to allow the part that holds the torsion pack to rotate, adjusting the height of the suspension. I fabbed up an arm to link that part to the bag, and viola! Lays pan, and goes up to stock height.
bagged59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little vid of it in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng0jbeNpAIE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
pumpkin head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: front air ride question Reply with quote

Awesome, what poundage bag is that? 3 years later are you still happy with this setup? Thanks
bagged59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: front air ride question Reply with quote

I can't remember if it was a Conti or Firestone bag and I believe it's 2500lbs. I still haven't finished the car and it's been out of commission waiting for me to finish rebuilding the engine for a few months so I've only driven it a handful of times. But yeah, I like the setup. It rides very nicely and only needs about 25psi for ride height and 70 brings it way up.
Oatsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: front air ride question Reply with quote

Another 3 years later - have you gotten the car on the road? Are you satisfied with your single bag setup?
bagged59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: front air ride question Reply with quote

Too many projects! But yeah, I finally got the new engine and freeway flyer trans in and I've driven it probably a dozen times. It rides like a Cadillac. Perfect ride height for me is at 25 psi so it's kinda soft but not too much. I still have the torsion leaves too as opposed to a through rod so there's some give there. And I'm not running shocks, but it rides perfect on the crappy Los Angeles freeways at 75.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: