Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 meyers manx barn find... buried for 26 years!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like the phone dials on that.
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for straying off the topic. But I have to ask.
The Head, What are the wheel sizes and tire sizes on your buggy? I am planning on having same wheels.

The Head wrote:
If you are still looking for a rear skid plate and bumper , let me know . I took it off my manx a few years ago when I rebuilt it. It is a aftermarket one. As for wheels, put whatever you like on it, it can always be changed at a later date.

OLD PIC...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

NEW PIC...

The Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which wheels are you asking about? The old black wheels or the polished Porsche wheels?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Head wrote:
Which wheels are you asking about? The old black wheels or the polished Porsche wheels?

Polished Porsche wheels. Also, what is the backspacing?
The Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karu wrote:
The Head wrote:

The pictures that you see with the phone dials I had the same size on all four corners. They were 15" x 6" with a 52.3 offset. I used wheel adapters to go from the VW 5 x 205mm to the Porsche 5 x 130mm. I also had to use 15mm spacers to make everything fit and look nice. I have since changed the rear phone dials to 15" x 7" with a 23.3 offset with the same adapter and wheel spacer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Head wrote:
karu wrote:
The Head wrote:

The pictures that you see with the phone dials I had the same size on all four corners. They were 15" x 6" with a 52.3 offset. I used wheel adapters to go from the VW 5 x 205mm to the Porsche 5 x 130mm. I also had to use 15mm spacers to make everything fit and look nice. I have since changed the rear phone dials to 15" x 7" with a 23.3 offset with the same adapter and wheel spacer.

Thanks head. I just bought a set of phone dials: 16"X7" and 16"X8" with 23.3 backspacing. I was wondering if I should not use any adapters or spacers at all and just get the porsche pattern drums. Specially I like to see the front wheels centered right over the wheel bearings so that steering is not that much affected by changed wheel size.

Your buggy looks great by the way. I really like the color and of course, the wheels.
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have a rear manx emblem they are willing to sell? How about a front bumper, or should I just save for a new Meyers Manx one? Also looking for some widened vw rims for my buggy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attn. Meyers MANX owners. Called Mrs. Meyers today, she said they'll be carrying rear "MANX" emblems once again in the next couple months. Said they'll be an exact copy only they will no longer have the pins on the back and will need to be put on with an adhesive or 2 sided tape. So thats sweet. In other news I have an orig. one coming by mail. Thanks Buggy Guy! Thanks Moon Buggy for your reply too! I'll post pics once it's on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoe,
Just looked back at pictures of your car on the pages of this thread. You really have quite a cool little car.
Not sure if you have sorted the wheels thing yet, but I think that your car would look great with stock smooth wide fives up front and widened ones in the rear. Sticking with the stock width up front makes the steering very light, as it would be in a stock beetle.
Don't forget to drive the bejeezuz out of it. Have fun.
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wythac--Thanks for the nice comments! I do wish to go with the stock widened v-dub wheels for three reasons. 1. It's hard to beat that simple,clean early look. 2. Gets rid of the adapters (it's on Chevy rims) 3. It's keeping very close to how Tom (the guy I bought it from) built it in 69'-70' (kind of hung up on keeping his original idea for the buggy alive)

Question for you. I'm struggling with wheel width, offsets and all that stuff. Are you saying go with stock 15" up front and 15" widened bus for rear? Would it look much cooler with 14"up front and 15" outback? As much as I think white stock rims would look cool and vintage, I'm already sporting a less chrome look and more blacked out look and I'm leaning towards shiny black vw rims, with stock vw caps or maybe no caps at all. Nice thing about wheels is that you can change 'em when you wish!
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few shots of my car that may help you make a choice:

This is a picture of my car with the stock 15x4.5 smoothies on the front and 15x8 widened rims on the back. Its a tall tire on the front but the car still steers like a beetle. It's a 7" tire width. Rears are custom built with a 3.5" backspace and a 1" positive offset. No clearance issues with a long spline, long axle, swingaxle. I would not recommend the 31.50" tires with your 40hp

Here is the same car with 14x6 stock bus rims (you can find older 15" bus rims if you want) up front and a slightly widened 15x6 stock beetle rim in the back. It has a 27" tire on the rear. I've also had these rear tires up front with the big 31,50" on the rear and they work OK as front tires, although they steer a bit heavy. I think the rears of this set look like the fronts you have on your Manx.

Hope that helps. My Rascal has very similar body lines to your Manx, but mine does have a 3" lift, which makes the street tires and wheels look smaller. I think stock rims in black would look VERY cool, I thought about it when I had these powder coated but went with the white for the vintage look. It was a toss up for me at the time but I am happy with my choice of white.

I had to find a custom wheel builder for the rears with the big tires. I dont think youll have too much trouble. Locate a set of 4 good 15" smoothies. Pick the two that have the most damage out on the rim. Your wheel builder will lathe the centers of those wheels out and weld them into the wider hoop of your choice....I recommend no larger than 8", which is truly 9.5" wide.

Here is a shot w/o hubcaps. Until I got some decent clips, I managed to lose a few hubcaps off the trail, so I just started taking them off when I went out in the dirt.

Having had the experience of watching my hubcaps go flinging off into space, I now have my own explanation for all those blurry UFO photos....
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wythac, Your car looks awesome! I definitely like the looks of it with the larger wheels, maybe because of the lift makes the fronts look real small. I'm not sure if I like your car better with the hubcaps or no hubcaps, it looks amazing both ways! I guess it's easy enough to run it with or without! Would a slightly wider than original wheel on the front give you a better feeling of stability on the road?
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wythac, Your car looks awesome! I definitely like the looks of it with the larger wheels, maybe because of the lift makes the fronts look real small. I'm not sure if I like your car better with the hubcaps or no hubcaps, it looks amazing both ways! I guess it's easy enough to run it with or without! Would a slightly wider than original wheel on the front give you a better feeling of stability on the road?
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smaller and wider tires are better on the street, the taller and skinny tires up front better on the dirt. I'm no speed demon, which is the best suspension modification I can recommend.
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said. My problem is I love the look of those pizza cutters up front, but I'll be using my buggy almost all street. I'm also obsessed with the old bias ply, so I think maybe a stock bias ply 14" smoothie up front and 8" widened 15's for the rear.
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what you are talking about, with smaller rear tires on the 15x8s

Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering what Meyers Manx used to attach the rear emblem to the body, like speed nuts or maybe those things they used for the volkswagen emblem on the type 1 deck lids? I got an original in the mail today, and I'm anxious to put it on. Thanks!
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 meyers manx barn find... buried for 26 years! Reply with quote

Hey Roscoe, any updated photos of this beauty?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: