Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door Hinge Repair
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Door Hinge Repair Reply with quote

I've searched and read various threads on this particular problem, but I've not seen too many pics of the end product when the fix is made. Here's what mine looks like now, and obviously I need to fix it. I'd rather not replace the door, and I don't have welding skills to affect a fix on my own via welding. Are there other methods of "fixing" it? I'm open to suggestion and would like to see what you've done when you have the same problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your repair needed is tricky. Clean your hinge to shiny new metal,get a small piece of donor roof metal,I believe 18 gauge? You need to remove all the weak metal in your door and fab a piece in.Try mounting your door,fit issues before,during,and after are to be expected. Make sure your welder is up to snuff,duty cycle is important. Take your time, have fun,and above all watch how the metal moves. Save that door!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember if it is in the Bentley manual or the VW service manual, but there is a description of the correct (factory) way to do that repair.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
I don't remember if it is in the Bentley manual or the VW service manual, but there is a description of the correct (factory) way to do that repair.

Bentley.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's there. A-14 I believe, but there's precious little detail offered for the method employed.

I'd really like to see how the welding they do on the inside is accomplished.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door goes in for surgery tomorrow. I'll post "after" pics when I get it back. The person doing it is the person that I was hoping would be willing to do it. I've got no worries with it in his capable hands. It Will be fine.

The only sucky part of the whole thing is that it happened at all, since the door is super nice. The rust you see in the picture represents 99% of the rust on the entire door. It even has what I consider to be "perfect" wear on the beltline.

BUT, there's this Sad :

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I gots no pictures but had exactly the same issue for years on the driver's door. Attempted the welding in the very limited space/access there and that "worked"... for a while. Sad

Held by a thin piece of skin, though it lasted a few years, the door was sagging ever more until recently it just snapped! After removing the door to try yet another welding job on it, I pondered the situation and determined that drilling out the rivets and replacing them with bolts was the easyest and best solution. Think

After fitting a "plate" inside and bolting the whole thing through, it turned out great! The door now opens, swings, and shuts perfectly for the first time in 11 years of owning this bus!!! Razz
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the outcome I'm hoping for, of course. I'd pondered doing exactly what you described, but in the end decided to give it over to a man whose stellar reputation gives me no pause whatsoever. I'll be shocked if it doesn't work as a door should when he's through with it.
A914Freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Door repair Reply with quote

Yes the best way is to just weld in a piece of new metal but before cutting out the old piece I made marks on the door where the holes should line up. After welding in the new piece of metal I then drilled holes 1 size bigger then the bolts I was using that way it gave me room for door fitment and adjustment.

Kyle
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any pics of this plate and bolt setup? It sounds like a solid fix.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G-wood Todd wrote:
Any pics of this plate and bolt setup? It sounds like a solid fix.

I might have taken pix of it but... don't quite recall and if I did, they are on an iFone I just replaced so I need to look into it. If I have to mess with the door panel again, I'll try to remember to snap a few pix of it. Confused

However, it's pretty much elementary. Drill the rivets out, shape an inner plate to "sandwich" the damaged piece between it and the hinge, bolt on and you're good to go! Cool

I did this when the skin left finally broke off so I didn't really have time to plan a fix. Just took it off intending to weld on it. The plate idea came to me while I was at it. Granted, it may or may not be a permanent fix but will do better than a dangling door. Wink
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Door Hinge Repair Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
I've searched and read various threads on this particular problem, but I've not seen too many pics of the end product when the fix is made. Here's what mine looks like now, and obviously I need to fix it. I'd rather not replace the door, and I don't have welding skills to affect a fix on my own via welding. Are there other methods of "fixing" it? I'm open to suggestion and would like to see what you've done when you have the same problem.

I had a 67 riviera, where the drivers hinge lower hinge was similarly ripped of fthe door. Or was the door ripped of fthe hinge. In any case, the were no longer securely connected.

about ten years ago I removed the door and hinge from the bus. Due to the rip pattern of the weld, it was easy to carefully line up the hinge exactly as it was supposed to be. Got out my vise grip sand secured it. Got out my welder and welded it.

I would not pretend to be a pro welder. However, I secured the pieces toegther. The crucial thing, other than alignment, is the careful grinding down of the welds so the hinge can close. I do have good grinding skills. Very Happy Cover up nearby glass, as grinding splatter will stick to glass. It sucks.
After that, I added some weld to empty spots. Then ground down the new welds. Then I rocked a can of white paint to cover up the bare metal. It did not exactly match the og pearl white. But you only see it with the door open and you look for it.

I attached the door to the bus (greased the bolts holding it on), and adjusted it. It worked for me for years. It has moved on, no longer my bus.

Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a common problem. luckily, there is plenty of access to both sides, and there is room for some extra metal in the form of a fat weld. the hinge is thick, so you don't have the same level of heat warping like you do on most body panels.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is to prevent this from happening to begin with. slowly close your front doors and see if the hinge is closing before the door latches. take off your striker plate is you need. if the hinge closes and the door is not closed, it will flex at the hinge and slowly break your hinge loose from the door. you will often see cracks forming. grind them a bit, weld the fuck out of them and then make your door close right. (or take it to a body guy and have him make your door close right)

czech out this lumberjack working a singlejack on a BD deluxe to correct a hinge issue:

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biggestdaddyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

czech out this lumberjack working a singlejack on a BD deluxe to correct a hinge issue:

Shocked That is the scariest photo I've ever seen!

hitest wrote:
The whole procedure took 2 mins. 44 seconds (including one overdue crotch scratch).
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. Cover it with a tarp so it doesn't get wet, then beat the shit out of it with a 3 lb sledge hammer to fix the door.

(I understand both, it's just an observation.)
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
That's cool. Cover it with a tarp so it doesn't get wet, then beat the shit out of it with a 3 lb sledge hammer to fix the door.

(I understand both, it's just an observation.)

Believe it or not, that's essentially the way the factory adjusted the hinges. On Porsche 911's too!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: