Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust recommendations
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scooterboyd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vintage Speed
59 - Convertible Raceable Baja Bug
63 - Dune Buggy
65 - Single Cab
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreadnotmusic wrote:
donald.lemay wrote:
Has anyone successfully use the vintage speed with a thermostat . Modify bracket cut rod whatever it took.
Thanks
Don

No mods necessary at all. I installed the vintage speed and still use the thermostat. I chose to get the J-Tubes with slip joints rather than flanges so I can go back to heater boxes if I want. I bought industrial tins to close out the sides where the heater boxes were. I love this exhaust! JohnnyRingo Quote...Yea...I didnt choose this heater box style its not a true four into one.The exhaust I used was the vintagespeed non heater version...IT WILL NOT WORK W/GERMAN THERMOSTAT.

1600 single port with dual kadrons from Kaddie Shack. Coming back out today for a scat 36hp shroud.

Last edited by JohnnyRingo on Sat May 05, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
dreadnotmusic wrote:
donald.lemay wrote:
Has anyone successfully use the vintage speed with a thermostat . Modify bracket cut rod whatever it took.
Thanks
Don

No mods necessary at all. I installed the vintage speed and still use the thermostat. I chose to get the J-Tubes with slip joints rather than flanges so I can go back to heater boxes if I want. I bought industrial tins to close out the sides where the heater boxes were. I love this exhaust! JohnnyRingo Quote.....Yea...I didnt choose this heater box style its not a true four into one w/equal length header,unlike the A1 sidewinder is!!!The exhaust I used was the vintagespeed non heater version...IT WILL NOT WORK W/GERMAN THERMOSTAT.

1600 single port with dual kadrons from Kaddie Shack. Coming back out today for a scat 36hp shroud.

Last edited by JohnnyRingo on Sat May 05, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Think http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200 #Bad Talk Dancing up to quote the guy and change the post to make it look like he said it. If you want to reply, post your comments under your own name (Your belief was clear in your above post). Maybe it was a mistake when you quoted and replied, just saying. Wink

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.

Last edited by Snoop Bob on Sat May 05, 2012 9:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...............dont need the vulgar language some 10 year old maybe trying to learn about VW's.................I was not trying to change the former guys message...dont know what I did..keep youre vulgar langauge to yourself this is a public website.
dreadnotmusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given what's readily accessible on the internet these days, I'd consider a random F-Bomb pretty innocuous. Laughing

Johnny Ringo, please explain why you think it won't work with a German thermostat. For what it's worth, I find that it does. I have industrial tins that close out the sides where the heater boxes were. The 1/3 exhaust tubing does not route directly under the pushrod tubes. I have the J-Pipes. The thermostat opens and closes just as it always has. What's your take on it?

I'll take some pics once I get it all back together on Monday.
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
Ok...............dont need the vulgar language some 10 year old maybe trying to learn about VW's.................I was not trying to change the former guys message...dont know what I did..keep youre vulgar langauge to yourself this is a public website.

Easy there Fahrenheit 451.

EDIT---Taken under advisement and altered. I feel it WAS an appropriate vulgarity if intentional (dollar sign or other). Since your mess quote was unintentional, alterations were made with items available on this public site.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.

Last edited by Snoop Bob on Sat May 05, 2012 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the lowered vintagespeed non heater box version exhaust..........It will not work w/german thermostat........because it is a true length header and the 2/4 exhaust snakes back and forth under the push rod tubes. The heater version will work w/thermostat because its not a true length four into one header. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JohnnyRingo on Tue May 08, 2012 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
dreadnotmusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's precisely the reason I ordered the one with J-Tubes. I wanted to run my heater flaps and thermostat. It works great.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
I purchased the lowered vintagespeed non heater box version exhaust..........It will not work w/german thermostat........because it is a true length header and the 1/3 exhaust snakes back and forth under the push rod tubes. The heater version will work w/thermostat because its not a true length four into one header. Hope this helps.

Yes, it does. There was no way to know that information otherwise. Thank you.
ldsvwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My truck is not incredibly low, but I really do not want to have my exhaust hanging down too far. I'd really like to have a small hidden exhaust like stock, but be able to support my 1776 engine properly. I'm not a fan of quiet packs; dual or single.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my $0.02. With a couple exceptions, I've run just about every exhaust you can think of as my bus has gotten progressively lower over the years.

For a stock motor, get a stock exhaust. Period. The couple extra hp you gain from getting an aftermarket exhaust isn't worth the headache of dragging the exhaust, the price of the exhaust, or the extra noise.

For a bigger motor, vintage speed gives the best ground clearance. I drug a hole through the muffler on my sidewinder (as well as bottomed it out on quite a number of speed bumps). The vintage speed exhaust is a much nicer setup, not to mention how much quieter it is! I had forgotten what it was like to have a conversation with somebody inside my bus when I was driving.

Don't even consider quiet packs (single or dual). You might as well cut holes in them with your sawz all before you put them on, because you're going to end up dragging holes in them as soon as you start driving around.
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 2 LOW busses that run the lowered vintage speed exhausts on 1600 DP with DRD heads dual Dells 36s and a few mods. Sound is amazing and quiet, not stock quiet but quieter than most aftermarket exhausts. The VS sits up very high. As I stated, the two buses are slammed and no scrapping.

No rear pics but here are the two.

Also, Pat (Type2man) of Wide5 in Miami runs his single cab with a 1776 with dual Dell 36s and a stock exhaust. No heat issues and he drives it everywhere like he stole it. Quiet as all hell. and no scrapping issues.
ldsvwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtylawnchair wrote:

Also, Pat (Type2man) of Wide5 in Miami runs his single cab with a 1776 with dual Dell 36s and a stock exhaust. No heat issues and he drives it everywhere like he stole it. Quiet as all hell. and no scrapping issues.

How does he have that hooked up? is he running j tubes?
dreadnotmusic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage speed stainless j tubes and industrial tins. Thermostat and flaps fully functional.

dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldsvwguy wrote:
dirtylawnchair wrote:

I would imagine Jtubes as there is no need for heat in south Florida...but I am not 100% sure.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldsvwguy wrote:
dirtylawnchair wrote:

I think he meant no heat tranfer issues, or over heating issues....not heater.

gordo.
rjonas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That SS vintage exhaust looks sweet and has nice clearance but $$$$

I just bought this single tip GT muffler $65 to install with heat exchangers on a mild performance dual carb 1700cc.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D3487

Have not installed it on my 65 dlx yet or even seen one on a bus but I know I've seen the quad outlet GT style on a bus before...appears it will fit with a slight apron adjustment...???

Has anyone tried this single GT style on a bus?

www.azbusclub.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
donald.lemay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-mailed vintage speed today with some questions. I can't believe how fast I received my answers. 12min
Here are answers for you:
Hi I have a couple of questions reguarding lowered style early bus exhaust with balanced tubes.
Can you run stock german thermostat and flaps. If not can it be modified quite easily.
A: This one 155-207-05200 or 155-207-052SF will fit with stock german thermostat and flaps.

Can you use one of the M18 ports for exhaust scavenging for my evacuation system.
A: Do you need positive pressure or negative pressure for evacuation system?

Now I need to build s special pipe for you. We build negative pressure pipe in 12mm or 16mm.
smokeykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone running the vintage speed lowered bus exhaust on a press bumper bus with pics. I have a very low 58 press bumper bus and would like to se how it looks......thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: