Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Look what I found! (rear heater content)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's up with your rear heater?
The heater's there and is functioning just like the day it left the lot.
59%
 59%  [ 101 ]
The heater's there, but it leaks like a sieve.
10%
 10%  [ 18 ]
The heater's long gone I've hooked the two hoses together.
11%
 11%  [ 19 ]
The heater's long gone, I've plugged up the hoses, and I love the extra storage space!
18%
 18%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 169

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to your FLAPS and get a 5/8 hose connector and join the two ends together.

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NBG9904/NBG9904

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
sbbfuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5/8" or do you mean 15.875mm (16mm) Rolling Eyes
If you're only looking at a week why bother ? I would just leave the van in the garage and wait.
I would got two bits of 15mm copper pipe (say 50mm / 2" long) and fit one end stops to each and use these as plugs, do you have a friend who's a plumber or know for one who could lend you the parts?
No doubt I'll have the bits in my shed you could of had but would take a week to arrive from the UK.
silversync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love the rear heater. It doesn't freeze here, but many mornings are in the high 30s or 40s. One of the first things I hear from the rear is "dad can you turn the heater on?"
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbbfuk wrote:
5/8" or do you mean 15.875mm (16mm) Rolling Eyes
If you're only looking at a week why bother ? I would just leave the van in the garage and wait.
I would got two bits of 15mm copper pipe (say 50mm / 2" long) and fit one end stops to each and use these as plugs, do you have a friend who's a plumber or know for one who could lend you the parts?
No doubt I'll have the bits in my shed you could of had but would take a week to arrive from the UK.

In North America, 1/2" copper tubing works very nicely inside the Vanagon heater hose. I made my Subaru conversion tees from that pipe.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
73thingsale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: I used the 5/8" help! product Reply with quote

So the link above for Napa is also sold at O'Reilly. I got one this morning and installed it, drove the vannie around few miles up hills and down, and no leaking from the new joint. I really didn't want to join the two together, but I wanted to use the van tomorrow, so there you go. I topped up the coolant in the overflow tank, the expansion tank was all good.

I've got my rear core and stuff on order, should be here by middle of next week. I will likely not drive it more than 50 miles like this.

Man those hoses do get hot. I left the rear seat up, and also put a little plastic pan under there as a drip pan, in case my joining sprung a leak.
So I stopped several times to go look back there and check it out, and no leaks, but boy they're almost too hot to hold onto for more than a few seconds. No wonder that heater blows like fire when it's working. Smile
sbbfuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silversync wrote:
We love the rear heater. It doesn't freeze here, but many mornings are in the high 30s or 40s. One of the first things I hear from the rear is "dad can you turn the heater on?"

Springs on it's way here (UK) ?? so no need for the heater today but tomorrows a different day Shocked
Mmartinphd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled My rear heater and plugged the lines. Now getting a blinking light immediately upon starting on the temp gauge. Didn't leak that much coolant while removing! What gives?
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmartinphd wrote:
Pulled My rear heater and plugged the lines. Now getting a blinking light immediately upon starting on the temp gauge. Didn't leak that much coolant while removing! What gives?

when cold, top off the pressure bottle with coolant. should stop the immediate blink.

I like having the rear heater in case i'm climbing a hill or stuck in traffic to aid the radiator in pulling heat off the engine without baking me if i'm driving
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
silverbulletuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever integrated a Webasto-type engine/cab preheater into the auxiliary heater? I'd like to do this (along with insulating the heater hoses underneath) and use it as a night heater instead of the usual Eberspacher (which is massive and won't suit the engine installed in my '95 T3ZA) or propane-fuelled Propex (very heavy on propane consumption and expensive)
Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had the same thing for quite awhile. I removed the seat and storage compartment. I sent the pic to my mechanic and he said "hook up a coil and get some more horsepower"
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very convenient fix all, or should I say plug all. Wink
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess i should start carrying 2 extra spark plugs instead of just 1...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sbbfuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a photo of the pipes viewed from the underside of their van??
or how long are the two pipes?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbbfuk wrote:
Does anyone have a photo of the pipes viewed from the underside of their van??
or how long are the two pipes?

Okay, many months later I can answer ^that question... as I just finished the removal process and took photos for a DIY guide (coming soon). Probably too late for you, but may help others.

Photo of the hoses:

(The rear heater hoses are approx. 16" in length; 1/2" end under the van at T and 5/8" end at the heater).

In the photo, I've got the main hose clamped off above the T (center of pic), and the top heater hose (left) clamped off in preparation of heater hose removal. The other heater hose and T are above the plastic pipe on the right.

I opted to cap off the T's, rather than replace them with straight fittings (for the remote possibility of reinstalling the rear heater someday). If anyone wishes to do the same: The rear heater hose-side of the T is 1/2". You can find "heater hose bypass caps" at Napa, along with the straight fittings (which are 5/8"). You'll also need hose clamps, as the Napa 1/2" caps are thinner than the original hose; I had small spring clamps in stock.

(Bottom heater hose plugged in photo; hadn't pulled it through yet. But you can see the two T caps.)

The holes in the firewall are 1" in diameter, should you decide to plug those up with whatever method you prefer. Don't forget to plug the blower assembly mounting screw holes in the floor.

But now I have a question. Is the main heater hose (below) being like that really bad?

It's been like that for a long, long time and the van has zero cooling issues. The only issue is "hot-foot syndrome" (i.e. the front heater works really well); could the kink be a part of the cause of that?

I really don't want to have to replace the hose, so does anyone have ideas how to un-kink it (I can only think of using a hose clamp, or cutting it and installing a 90° barb)?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be leery of using the NAPA caps. IIRC they do not have any reinforcing cord in them and will crack and leak at an early age.

Just reroute and maybe shorten your main heater supply line to get the kink out. I would think that it would be greatly restricting the flow to your front heater.
carter turk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like I have the "bad idea" set up. It's been that way for years since my rear heater plastic elbow sprung a leak, filling the van with steam in grocery parking lot.

Maybe I should plug them off, since lately the van is running hotter, even though it's winter.

I probably need a new radiator, but it would be interesting to see if the temp gauge goes down a bit just plugging them off, rather than an elbow that is there now.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I would be leery of using the NAPA caps. IIRC they do not have any reinforcing cord in them and will crack and leak at an early age.

Yeah, I'm on the hunt for better caps; I, agree, they're too thin, but I wanted to get those hoses pulled so I could put all the rear seat stuff away. They're more like vacuum line caps, but the package said "heater bypass". The odd thing is, I wrote the number down for the thicker 1/2" caps I saw online, but the Napa guy said, "No, those are 3/8" after typing it into the computer. Eh?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is horseshoed off at the t. maybe about 7 or 8 inches of hose total. a fix by a past owner. ive not had issues because of it, but ive only owned the van a while and i havent needed the heater yet. i did have to replace one of the main heater hoses to the t because of having to cut off the 29 year old hose to get it off the head. im not sure why anyone wants to loop it under the seat when you could just as easily just cut off a foot or so of the hose at the t and loop it right there. less distance for the short to go.
if i have any heater problems next winter, ill probably just take a hose clamp and tighten it down on the shunt as much as i can with some kinda cushion under it and call that a restrictor.
dollhouseyyc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Need rear heater.... Reply with quote

If any of you who have pulled your rear heater would like to get rid of it... I just imported a van 86 Syncro from California to Canada... Need I say more. [email protected]
our Blog: www.4WheelU.com
our Facebook: 4 Wheel University
Loved and sold...
Mildred: 1986 VW Westy 2.1 Stock
The Bus: 1973 VW Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
infoforjt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm planning on removing our heater to make space as we don't really use it and I have a question for those who have removed it. I'd like to take the 2 T's out and replace with straight barb connectors. If I do this would the air i'm introducing to the system require me to take additional steps to bleed it? As I understand it, my 2.1 is mostly self bleeding so originally I was thinking "no" but just wanted some confirmation.

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: