Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanaru Subaru exhaust
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Vanaru Subaru exhaust Reply with quote

Anyone with the Vanaru headers wish to chime in on how their headers are holding up? They look bomber and better thought out. Even though they look to hang down lower under the ports, I am willing to deal with it, just as long as they last. I am tired of throwing good money after bad (i.e. Small Car's headers)

So Vanaru header owners please chime in. How do they fit? How do they hold up?

Also on the table is a Stan's header, but I just wish they offered the 'J' pipe that fits their ball joint.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vweggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered RMW headers? They are in your area. http://www.rockymountainwesty.com/Subaru_S_S_4_Cylinder_Exhaust_p/sse-4.htm
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I waited all winter for RMW to develop an exhaust to fit Small Car engine mounts, only to find out last month that they canned that project. I was really bummed. So now I'm shopping for other alternatives.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lotek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding that the Vanaru header is currently unavailable. I'm on the waiting list and will gladly report my experience when I get my hands on one.

I'm currently running an old Small Car header (made by Stan's) that has been welded far too many times.

I'm really looking forward to installing the Vanaru unit. Hans builds top-notch stuff.
Wolfphotos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had mine installed by Ben last October.
87 Syncro.
Fits great, no longer shiny bright, but holding out just fine- my daily driver throughout the winter.
Wouldn't hesitate to buy again- although will (hopefully) never need to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotek wrote:
It's my understanding that the Vanaru header is currently unavailable. I'm on the waiting list and will gladly report my experience when I get my hands on one.

I'm currently running an old Small Car header (made by Stan's) that has been welded far too many times.

I'm really looking forward to installing the Vanaru unit. Hans builds top-notch stuff.

Is your old Stan's header mild steel or SS? Thanks!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
I waited all winter for RMW to develop an exhaust to fit Small Car engine mounts, only to find out last month that they canned that project. I was really bummed. So now I'm shopping for other alternatives.

Do you blame them?
I dont, there mounting system is completely different than SC and doesn't have as many needs when fabing exhaust systems.
I have used both RMW carriers and exhausts.....really good stuff Exclamation

I have one of the original Stans headers built for SC in mild steel, still going strong.
Knowing how to install exhaust systems and not putting pressure on them helps with longivity Exclamation
Lotek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Lotek wrote:

Mine is one of the old mild steel headers.
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Do you blame them?
I dont, there mounting system is completely different than SC and doesn't have as many needs when fabing exhaust systems.

I have one of the original Stans headers built for SC in mild steel, still going strong.
Knowing how to install exhaust systems and not putting pressure on them helps with longivity Exclamation

No I don't blame them. It makes sense. I knew they were trying to develope a SC mount friendly and hoped for it. Just bummed that's all.

When it comes to mounting, your right reducing pressure/stress is key. Problem with SC headers is that you can't get around that. The header flanges don't line up well with the studs and you have to pry it on. Thus, stress is there from the get go.

Supposedly Vanaru's headers don't have this problem. They just slide right on to the studs. They are also made with American steel and fabbed right here in the US of A.

So I'm thinking they are the way to go. Just want some confirmation from those already running their headers.

Click to view image
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every exhaust system I work on has the mounting holes enlarged and I use quality flange type mounting bolts.
If the parts don't line up, I put them in a large vice, gently heat them and adjust them so they line up properly.
All parts get mounted loosely and tightened slowly from the heads all the way to the tailpipe in 5lbs increaments, lastly torqued and red loctite applied to the exposed threads.

Yup, I'm detailed oriented about exhaust mounting Exclamation

Just as with brakes....you can slap all new parts together and get OK braking or methodically install each part and have superior stopping power.

Many DIYers have no clue, hense cracked, broken and misaligned parts.

Hang out in any Midas or muffler shop and watch the techs work the parts...not many just bolt right on Exclamation
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
insyncro wrote:
Do you blame them?

Supposedly Vanaru's headers don't have this problem. They just slide right on to the studs. They are also made with American steel and fabbed right here in the US of A.

They are made in Canada with US stainless steel.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
Rhinoculips wrote:
insyncro wrote:
Do you blame them?

They are made in Canada with US stainless steel.

Well there you have it and they predrill the holes a size up.
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My small car full exhaust has over 15k on it in about 6 months. I did have to pry a little at the heads. I mounted the exhaust in the fashion Dylan does since it seem to be common sense to me. No problems so far except.it is hard to tell its stainless. I give it q oil treatment now and then to slow corrosion.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotek wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
Lotek wrote:

Mine is one of the old mild steel headers.

Stan's only made prototypes for SC. From what he told me he made 4 and then SC ran with the design.
Stan's new design has fixed most of the short falls of the first style. It does hang lower and does not fit the syncro skid plate.

I also heard vanarus headers are unavalible right now.

jcl
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:

Bummer- I have been holding out too....... Mad
Do they make a skide plate for their engine carrier system?

Last edited by HeftySmurf on Wed May 09, 2012 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vunderbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my SC header with a Vanaru header after being sick and tired of welding up cracks. The fit and finish on the Vanaru header was awesome and quite honestly it looks a bit like a work of art when you first pull it out of the box! The welds are beautiful and the quality of the material is far superior than the SC header. Unlike the SC header, the Vanaru header fit perfectly and bolted up easily. I couldn't be happier and have had no issues at all.
1980 Westfalia
1973 Baywindow
1970 Baywindow Riviera Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vanaru header slipped right on.

It has changed color to a dark gray.

I have had it a year now.

I hear no heat crackling from it like some SC headers.

My iteration of the header is close to the SC bell housing.

I posted a picture once before.

I have a SC mount.

Everything lined up just fine with a stock cat and stock muffler (both from Vanagon stock.)

The Vanaru header works just fine and I am happy I did not use my SC one, which I still have laying around.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me the symptoms of a cracked SC header? I have a vibrational noise at certain rpm's I've been chasing for months, and I can't find it. It's making me crazy Mad
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofus wrote:
Can someone tell me the symptoms of a cracked SC header? I have a vibrational noise at certain rpm's I've been chasing for months, and I can't find it. It's making me crazy Mad

Symptom? Exhaust noise! My header popped the seam where the two branches merge just before making the turn toward the rear of the van.
www.thebassspa.com
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofus wrote:

Mike,

I have a noise too. In my case I am certain it is loose baffles in my new muffler. It is a classic noise that I know well. It changes from day to day and from temperature to temperature. Basically the baffle welds fail and there is "just" a little contact and depending on everything it will buzz. Go over a bump and it goes away. One day at the same rpm it happens and the next day at the same rpm not. Phase of the moon thing.

I bought a brand new Ernest muffler for $175 wholesale and it was fine for a few months and then it started. It has happened before on older stock mufflers plenty of times in the past. Quality is poor for lots of parts these days and this is what you get.

In the last weeks I do not notice it so much. Either things have moved / worn or I am becoming deaf to the noise. Now I will have to go and listen....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: