Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 924 turd worth my time?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schatzi wrote:
...... I like the aluminum trailing link idea though. I'm gonna be scouting that now.

I like this idea as well. What years and models of these aluminum trailing arms fit a '69 pan? Are the "P" brakes better than the run of the mill rear disk conversions for VW's?
Levi Harris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked CIS injection. It's really not a bad system at all. Take the turbo, injection (gonna have to build some bird houses) and the suspension and stuff it into a super. Could be really fun... Also, a major money pit to finish.
metalchomper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use it to reenact the pier scene from the movie Risky Business, do some clever editing/acting and submit for a Super Bowl Doritos commercial. Laughing May get some big bucks out of it that way. Shocked

Devil Dog Dubs

I live vicariously through me

'62 Beetle, "Zombie Mojo"
'68 Manx II "Conundrum"
'72 SB "Luftwaffle", 2270 T4
'75 SB Wizard Rodster "Olympias" (Mrs. Metalchomper's car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MILFS<3VW's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would my 68 beetle accept the suspension and brakes from the 1980 porsche 924 turbo i have shown above?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILFS<3VW's wrote:
Would my 68 beetle accept the suspension and brakes from the 1980 porsche 924 turbo i have shown above?

Unless your 68 was or is an autostick model then the short answer is no.

You need the IRS rear which started for the most part on the 1969 model.
The Autostick in 1968 had the IRS also but you would have to install a clutch tube in those to run a 4 speed.
I am pretty sure the IRS rear is a good swap but most people do it to the Super Beetle since it can take all four corners and you get the bigger braking as a bonus.

Beetspeed from the Netherlands would be the one to ask since I think he has done the conversion. He also has about 400 hp out of a type IV engine in the back too.....

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILFS<3VW's wrote:
I have a 68, its not a super obviously so am i outta luck on the brake and suspension swap?

Is it a swing arm rear suspension or an independant rear suspension? If it has irs it should be good.
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the 911 trailing arms the same?
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Turbo has four wheel disks right? If so, there are ways to make them work on most any VW. However, it's generally not worth the trouble unless the brakes are in perfect shape. The conversion parts aren't terribly expensive, but platters, pads, and hydraulics certainly add up. Lanner at VDub Engineering is the guy to talk to if you want to go for it.

The pre-85 944/924S/924 Turbo rear brakes and trailing arms are a direct bolt on to an IRS VW except for the e-brake (check with VDub Engineering). The front outboards will bolt directly to a Super, or can be adapted to a standard.

Those 4 lug wheels and brakes aren't particularly desirable, but you could always add some Gas Burners or Baby Fuchs.

Late (85.5+) 944 had the aluminum trailing arms that add 2in to your track and lighten the rear end.

In my opinion, you won't find many kits that are higher quality than using Porsche stuff on your car. However, the cost can be quite difficult to justify. I'm happy with it. Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(somehow this is the only picture I have of my brake and wheel swap)
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wompninja wrote:
Worst Porsche ever made.

agreed. 931's are terrible. you can't even get parts for them any more. repair parts are non existent, or stupid expensive. nobody wants these. this car isn't worth anything, except in parts to the retardos who are trying to keep one on the road.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.

Last edited by torsionbar on Mon May 14, 2012 12:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levi Harris wrote:
I always liked CIS injection. It's really not a bad system at all.

what are you smoking? cis is terrible. it's balky, requires seasonal adjustments to keep running properly, replacement parts are horribly expensive (ever priced out a cis fuel distributor?), and performance tuning is pretty much impossible.

plus this new ethanol gas is very hard on it - ethanol corrodes many of the small parts in the cis system. and cis has a lot of small parts. it's only a matter of time before all the cis cars are off the road.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.
Schatzi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torsionbar wrote:
cis is terrible. it's only a matter of time before all the cis cars are off the road.

agreed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIS has some benefits for guys who do not like electronics. A well set up system works for years, every day without maintenance other than idle CO adjustment. Fuel flow capacity is very large with the right head (distributor), and it is tuneable with basic tools and some cleanliness.
Buying parts from Bosch is expensive, but more often than not things can be fixed instead.
Have used CIS on turbocharged cars for many years without issues. (modified high output engines)
Ethanol is probably an issue - haven't been there, it's been a while...
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boolean wrote:
CIS has some benefits for guys who do not like electronics. A well set up system works for years, every day without maintenance other than idle CO adjustment. Fuel flow capacity is very large with the right head (distributor), and it is tuneable with basic tools and some cleanliness.
Buying parts from Bosch is expensive, but more often than not things can be fixed instead.
Have used CIS on turbocharged cars for many years without issues. (modified high output engines)
Ethanol is probably an issue - haven't been there, it's been a while...

Agreed. Rebuilt fuel distributors aren't cheap $300-$400 bucks, but there isn't much else to the system. Pump, injectors, lines, distributor and intake and you're in business.

CIS also doesn't come with the potential problems that an aged wiring harness causes on old EFI cars. Replacing one of those can be big bucks too. Not to mention other expensive parts of and EFI system.

Not a flawless system and not everyone's cup of tea, but far from an unreliable, untunable piece of crap.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: