Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas Mileage with 2.0 FI ?+?+?+
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Gas Mileage with 2.0 FI ?+?+?+ Reply with quote

What should I expect gas mileage wise with my new (to me) van. 2.0 Fuel injected??? Thanks aall G
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Gas Mileage with 2.0 FI ?+?+?+ Reply with quote

Depends..... my 77 Westy weighs 4000 lbs including me.... curb weight is 3820 lbs, curb weight is ready-to-drive weight. [yes, this is accurate weight, I had it weighed on a truck scale]
If I drive it 65 with a tailwind, I average 20-22 mpg. But normally I drive 75-80 so it drops to around 18. Then it seems that I am always driving into a headwind and the mileage drops to around 16. Big hills suck the gas. Here in central Calif, it is flat.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Gas Mileage with 2.0 FI ?+?+?+ Reply with quote

The EPA numbers are 17 city and 25 highway with manual transmission. You have to assume that at the time those numbers were posted the speed limit was 55mph so expect numbers like Karl.

When I last did a major trip I averaged 18mph on the highway going 65-70mph. This was with points and running too rich. I have yet to go on a large trip with the mixture adjusted correctly.

In the city my mileage was stinko: 14-15mpg. I put in Pertronix and it went up to 17mpg even though I was still running too rich.

My advice for getting the best mileage (beat city, maybe meet highway):

- limit your speed to 65mph
- switch to electronic ignition if you haven't already
- with the correct fuel pressure and injector spray pattern in place, get the idle mixture set to 1.5% which is a good balance of power and fuel economy. If you run too lean you'll reduce the life of your heads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Gas Mileage with 2.0 FI ?+?+?+ Reply with quote

Just curious ratwell, When you went to a petronix what all did it consist of and what price range am i looking at. I would like to electronic on 2.0 f.I. bus motor and never really messed with them before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks James G. Houston, TX 78 bus
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Gas Mileage with 2.0 FI ?+?+?+ Reply with quote

The best price is $60 at www.motorworks.com. There are a couple of units to choose from. If you have a vacuum advance dizzy you need the 1847V model. As far as upgrades go, this is the biggest bang for the buck.

Installation takes 10-15 minutes:

- remove cap and rotor
- remove points and condensor (keep with bus as spares in case you or a friend need them).
- route new wires out condensor hole in distributor
- mount electronic module where points go
- install magnet over shaft
- hook red wire to + on coil, black wire to - on coil
- replace cap and rotor
- fire up the bus, reset timing back to 7.5 BTDC and go for a drive. I guarantee it will feel peppy right away, especially at higher rpms.

It's a quality unit with the 30 month warranty. The only shabby bit about the kit is that the screw they give you to mount the module is of poor quality but you can find another M4 in that style at the hardware store.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WAVEPIMP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Gas Mileage with 2.0 FI ?+?+?+ Reply with quote

Thanks, for all your help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: