Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my vanagon wont start
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danocox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya that is the starter. I once had the same problem and had to push start my van for almost two months because I was lazy and didnt want to rebuild my starter. if you take it somewhere they can do it for around 80 to 90 bucks. dont get it "new" or like from napa because it is the same thing only like 200 bucks.

here is a tip there is a screw on the back of the starter well two. it holds it all together if it is lose enough you can take it out and spray electric motor clean in there. it helps some time because the contacts are dirty. not to much because it could burn stuff up but just a small spray.

the bets fix is to rebuild it though Cool

would marry the van if it was leagal
berge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Battery is great, it just wont crank when I turn the key. Reply with quote

Thanks to these forums and a couple of good inexpensive parts from SleepyJoe in No. Cali. I replaced the water pump on my 85 Vanagon (1.9 Std. Trns.) The Thermostat Housing Unit. When I got it all back together, Bled, etc... no leaks. Took it for a drive, then stopped. Went back to start again, key turned and NOTHING! About 5 min. later, cranked up fine and drove her home. Later went to go to the store, no start again... This time I just gave up and took my other ride.
Checked wiring on the starter, solenoid, etc... Decided to look at the ign. switch... pulled it off connect and put some air on it, then it started right up. Let it run a bit, then shut it down. 1/2 hour later, no start again....
Should there be a ground strap apart from the strap by the solenoid? If there is and it is loose, would that cause the problem?
Thanks all.
Yes, I do like the search, however..... my keywords don't seem to match up with answers.
Embarassed
Berge
Prior:
59 Ragtop
66 Barndoor
71 TinTop Westy
69 Karmann Ghia
62 Bus
83.5 Vanagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: