Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torque tool advice
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whirlpool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Torque tool advice Reply with quote

I bought the torque tool /buddy /dude /meister device. This was so that I did not have to go the route of breaker bars or massive torque wench.

The advice I would like to know is from anyone who has used this prior. Stock Crank and gland nut. The original specifications call for 252 ft/lb; Wilson and others state 300ft/lb which equates to 28 or 33.3 ft/lb with the torque tool at a factor of 9. As my tools are rudimentary I decided on 30ft/lbs (270ft/lbs) as a mid point as the error factor I hope is not out more than 10% with my torque wrench.

30ft/lbs is "finger" tight (almost) and I just cannot believe that the gland nut is correctly torqued - I have so little faith as I have no other way of knowing if this is correct at 270ft/lbs. Embarassed

Anybody who as used the device can you safely say that I need not worry? Even you-tube does not allay my fears as it was removal not final torque - it is just too easy!

VW Logo
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to use very much force with the Torquemeister. I've done many rear drums with it and never had an issue.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Torque tool advice Reply with quote

whirlpool wrote:

Anybody who as used the device can you safely say that I need not worry? Even you-tube does not allay my fears as it was removal not final torque - it is just too easy!

VW Logo

I've built several engines using the Torque Miester to tighten the gland nut. It works just as advetised. No problems either. And yes, "it is just too easy". Cool I even take it with me on long road trips, in case someone in the group needs to change a main seal. Shocked
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
whirlpool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That is a relief. I would hate the gland nut to do something crazy at 60mph. d'oh!

Well, I must say that it was $70 well spent because the idea of breaker bars etc really did not excite me and I probably would have had to pay that for a 3rd party to have them torque it for me.

Red Bug
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust your tools.
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been quite a few times when I would use my old Kymco Torquemeister on somebody's brake drums, and use like 2 fingers to tighten them up to 30 lbs-ft (= 270 lbs-ft) and they absolutely wouldn't believe me that it was tight enough, so I would invite them to use their 1/2 inch breaker bar and cheater bar, to try and loosen it. One guy went though 2 of his Craftsman 1/2 breaker bars, snapping the pin in both of them, before admitting that, yeah, the Torquemeister did work. I then used the same 2 fingers to loosen it, and then tighten it back up. Cool
Had another guy borrow mine, and I specifically told him it multiplies the torque by 9 times... he didn't believe me, went for something like 75-80 lbs.-ft, and ended up having to get the threaded half of the gland nut out of the crank, you could see that the gland nut broke in one shot, wasn't cracked before or anything...

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dave says, you have to remember that this tool is a multiplier. Think of using pulleys, like a snatch block, to hoist or move a load. The amount of power is multiplied.

I have a 1996 Crown Victoria that needed new front wheel bearings; however, the axle nut had to be installed at ~300-ft/lbs, which meant I had to get a torque multiplier that looks like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

whirlpool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Saw those torque multipliers online. They are heavy weight tools and quiet expensive, especially those that push the 3000ft/lbs. Shocked The torque tool is perfect for the hobbyist like me, relatively cheap and does the job. I am still stunned at the ease of doing what for me was going to be a mission.

as for crowning victoria, that was about 1837... Laughing
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen the torque multipliers at the harbenger of fright, but it dosent say how much it multiplies.and the torque dude I have seen dosent have the ability of changing sizes of sockets.for the big gland nuts.or the nuts with big glands either.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
Ive seen the torque multipliers at the harbenger of fright, but it dosent say how much it multiplies.and the torque dude I have seen dosent have the ability of changing sizes of sockets.for the big gland nuts.or the nuts with big glands either.

I took a 1 1/2" socket and welded it to a stock gland nut so you can use the torguemeister on the empi stlye gland nuts

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: