Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which distributor would you buy?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Which distributor would you buy? Reply with quote

I have a balanced stock 1600 dp with a German 34pict.
I was running a svda that I had in my parts stash, but it would never
Maintain proper timing. It would stay advanced as much as 20 degrees at idle.
I put a 009 in for now, just to keep the timing more solid and it works.... And doesn't even have the 009 flat spot.
But I can tell that it doesn't run to its full potential. I want to get a new distributor. Should I just get a new svda? Or is there something comparable or perhaps better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sub-hatchtim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

010 is always a nice choice
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're sure that your 34-3 is working well, I would stick with a good SVDA. Make sure that your 34-3 wasn't originally designed to work for a DVDA; those have different idle settings.
That being said, I have ditched both of my 34-3 / SVDA combos for a properly jetted H30/31 and 010. I get better overall performance and the H30/31s are less finicky than the 34-3s.

Personal experiences may vary.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I ran the #s on the carb base and have the proper jetting for use of the svda. I did replace the throttle plate with another that has a smaller hole in it ( the one that some suggest to seal up when using an 009)

My old svda I could rotate the rotor through it mechanical advance range and it would stick wherever you put it.

Wish I could get the 010, but they seem a little to spendy for me right now.... May just have to try another svda.

Funny, years ago.... I worked in a dub shop and we had boxes upon boxes of old cast iron distributors. Wish I knew what I know now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found two 010s for cheap at a local VW scrap yard. Lucky, I guess. Trouble is, all the tune up parts for them are getting pricier by the minute.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
I have found two 010s for cheap at a local VW scrap yard. Lucky, I guess. Trouble is, all the tune up parts for them are getting pricier by the minute.

that's because Bosch has either stopped making them or is on the way to doing so...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GA_Boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sub-hatchtim wrote:

For a stock 1600 I understand that a 019 is better than a 010.
Marvin
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GA_Boy wrote:
sub-hatchtim wrote:

For a stock 1600 I understand that a 019 is better than a 010.
Marvin

Generally so, but for a 34PICT-3, a 034 vacuum/mechanical is needed and best. I've tried a number of different carb/distributor models and know what works and what doesn't.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn.... I'll put that on my wish list. I was digging around in my parts and I have 3 of them... You'd think I could get one to work as good as my ole stand by 009. I just got back from driving it,and it runs pretty smooth, even at a third gear lug... Pulls right out of it with ease. So I'm anxious to see how a good 034 will do!
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would an SVDA also be better than the stock DVDA with a 34-3 on a bone stock 1600?
My dual vacuum is ready for a rebuild, but if the SVDA would perform better, I'll go that route.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sxuxrxf wrote:
Would an SVDA also be better than the stock DVDA with a 34-3 on a bone stock 1600?
My dual vacuum is ready for a rebuild, but if the SVDA would perform better, I'll go that route.

SVDA, DVDA are generic terms. Can you provide actual model numbers?

In my opinion, if you have a properly working 34PICT-3, you should get a 205zb(SVDA) from Aircooled.net

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what is the issue with the 09?if it dosent have a flat spot whats it not doing?why dosent it have a flat spot? does the car feal like it has a strong power band down low that comes on?? thats usualy the flat spot it is getting over.some cars stumble some have a peaky fealing, some just lay there then start comming on. I love my 09's when there fixed.
sxuxrxf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
sxuxrxf wrote:

SVDA, DVDA are generic terms. Can you provide actual model numbers?

In my opinion, if you have a properly working 34PICT-3, you should get a 205zb(SVDA) from Aircooled.net

I just bought a stock '74 Thing - the newest air cooled I've ever had.
The DVDA ends in 205C, which I believe to be correct for the Thing. Still has the EGR manifold, EGR valve (but no box below due to incorrect Beetle muffler installed by PO), and the valve that prevents the idle from dropping too quickly - which does function well.
I need to rebuild the carb and check the jetting. The plugs look a bit lean, so the carb may be jetted for a Beetle. I need to check the number on the carb base as well.
Unless there are advantages to the DVDA in a non-smog controlled vehicle, I'll get another SVDA from John.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all what was causing the distributor to stick in advanced? Can that be resolved? (i.e. Do you have a broken spring? Have you connected the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum instead of the carburetor advance port? Is the high idle cam or a sticky throttle cable possibly opening the throttle plate enough to advance the distributor?)

Second of all, what are the advance curves for your engine? If it is "stock" than what came with "stock"? Wouldn't that be the distributor to most likely have the advance curves that would be optimal for your engine? If you really want to get a distributor that follows your engine precisely then wouldn't getting your engine dyno-ed and then adjusting the springs, weights and tabs be the best rather than blindly guessing what distributor might have the best curve(s) for your engine?

Third of all what would you like your distributor to adjust for? RPMs only like a 009 or 010 or 019 would? Or would you like it to adjust for not only changes in RPM but also for changes in LOAD for better efficiency like an SVDA or DVDA would? Do you want it to retard back for better engine braking and emisions while your dashpot or idle adjuster is still closing like a DVDA would? Do you want it to stay retarded at idle for emissions by using the ported vacuum off the carburetor that shuts off manifold vacuum during idle? Or do you want to idle cooler and forget the emissions by running strait off of manifold vacuum? Do you want a greater voltage coil and balast so you could open your spark gap wider for better ignition during starting and with leaner fuel mixtures as is possible with electronic ignition? Or do you want to go all out and have an ignition system that adjusts for RPM, LOAD, TEMP, KNOCK, BOOST, etc like a digital system would?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
Culito wrote:

that's because Bosch has either stopped making them or is on the way to doing so...

That in itself is a great reason to step up to updated ignitions.

Buy once and cry once.

It can be done for less than $400.00 if you can find parts in the junk yard.

Most carbs and distributors are now worn out after 40 years.

By the time you pay to have them both rebuilt you have spent a lot of cash.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: