Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's a Thing come true!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Really? Not a single opinion on Weber Progressive with a Norris 407S Cam?
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skip the progressive, id opt for a set of duals if you can swing it.
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Update! Reply with quote

Update time!

Long block done (muffler and carb this week), brakes done, new fuel lines going in this week or next, should be on the road 3rd week in March!!!!

Pics coming soon!
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Pressure wash! No longer a pile on! Reply with quote

Finally!!! Time for some new pics! She's cleaned up and ready for assembly now!

I'm thinking POR 15 for the pans for now unless someone has a suggestion?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Update! Reply with quote

Bit of a progress update...

The fuel line is in (routed through the center channel) and the gas tank is in. The front seats are done (wow they look beautiful) and the soft top is at an upholstery shop for a new rear window and a few seams that need stitching. Both passenger and driver rusted out rear view window mount holes have had rust removed and had the metal welded back (tapping new threads soon), plate for battery tray area measured for welding (POR 15 / Marine Clean / Prep & Ready all set to go when welding is done). New heater hose arrived a few days ago, defrost hose is still good!

ToDo:
-Welding battery area
-Tap rear view mirror mount hole threads
-POR 15
-Pick up soft top and install it with frame
-Install Engine
-Vroooooooommmm!!!

I WILL BE ON THE ROAD IN 2 WEEKS OR BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8P

Kinda needs to be done then as my vacation is soon and she needs at least a week of break in!
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

Soft Top, done! Welding, done! Engine will be done by end of week, and DMV inspection appt. is Monday!
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine complete and running on a stand! Installing interior & soft top (with new rear window!) tomorrow! I'll update tomorrow with new pics.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I asking for trouble and better off enjoying a solid 1776 with a 34 pict 3?

yes. the supply of german Type 4 heads has dried up. the supply of german Type 4 main bearings has dried up. The T4 engine is an orphan. Us T2 guys are looking at Subarus and Chevy V6s as engine sources.

the T4 cooling air intake is low and aft, where it would suck in debris if you go off road. which is the whole point of a Thing.

if you go T4 you can convert it to more closely resemble a Type 1.

http://www.aircooledtech.com/type4_upright_conversion/

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/howto/starting/

http://vwtype4bible.com/Bible_sample.pdf

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3578218

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
Quote:
Am I asking for trouble and better off enjoying a solid 1776 with a 34 pict 3?

yes. the supply of german Type 4 heads has dried up. the supply of german Type 4 main bearings has dried up. The T4 engine is an orphan. Us T2 guys are looking at Subarus and Chevy V6s as engine sources.

the T4 cooling air intake is low and aft, where it would suck in debris if you go off road. which is the whole point of a Thing.

if you go T4 you can convert it to more closely resemble a Type 1.

http://www.aircooledtech.com/type4_upright_conversion/

http://www.tunacan.net/t4/howto/starting/

http://vwtype4bible.com/Bible_sample.pdf

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3578218

Ya I hear that, I have a 72 Bay, and am pricing a rebuild vs. Subaru swap right now, bearings and heads are my issue 8(. Makes the Subaru very tempting!

FYI, I opted to stick with the 1776, using a Norris 407S Cam & Lifters, Weber Progressive, with a Kennedy 1700lb Clutch. Engine goes in tomorrow (Monday), hopefully i'll be posting video of the first drive tomorrow night!
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: IT'S ALIVE!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!! Reply with quote

1st test run complete!! Got the engine in, started her up and let her run for a bit, she stumbled a bit at idle between the Norris 407S cam and Weber Progressive carb but purred like a kitten once warmed up (a matter of roughly 2-3 minutes happily), Bela (my mechanic) was in a hurry for me to get her down to AAA for VIN verification (mostly I think to open up a spot for a Bay he needed to work on lol), so I put the doors back on, and took off sans seatbelts, turn signals, or even rear view mirrors...

It was like driving a dream, here I am after 25 years of searching & hunting, cruising down to AAA, the wind in my hair, the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day! I get to the AAA, things go smoothly, I now have license plates and registration stickers!

Upon walking out I notice an oil leak, not major but enough to be a mess long term, I suspect it's oil cooler, so I drove back to my mechanic and we pulled the engine last night, (he is going to check it over today), I then managed to locate and install seat belts and mirrors.

So... picking her up tonight after oil leak and wiring issues sorted out, plan to cruise all over and break in engine Cool.
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Crushed and looking for advice! Reply with quote

Got a bad news call from my mechanic this morning, sigh, something wrong internally (engine) he did not elaborate but i'll know more when I stop bye today. Seems as if my dream of driving her up the coast for my vacation (starting Saturday) for a cumulative 1500 mile round trip is looking more and more like a pipe dream, damn had this planned out months ago, now it's looking like I gotta take a rental.

Assuming they get it fixed by tomorrow and are confident it's road worthy, and I insane taking it on that long a trip for it first real run?
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, looks like it was a seized main bearing, grrrr (think she sat too long while I made other decisions), already stripped and re-assembled, going in now, hope to be mobile soon!
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats a seized main bearing ? The bearings dont spin. The crank spins in the bearing which are just metal shells. Sounds like you might have a crook for a mechanic.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsorak wrote:
Whats a seized main bearing ? The bearings dont spin. The crank spins in the bearing which are just metal shells. Sounds like you might have a crook for a mechanic.

Probably just a matter of semantics or wrong wording. Engine siezed or bearing has a flat spot from sitting to long. Now,...if he said the water pump had gone bad.. Mad
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
bearing has a flat spot from sitting to long

huh? Are you working with his mechanic? This idea is nutz. I bought a $300 engine from a local shop that had probably been sitting on the floor for 15 years, if a day, it was rebuilt at the beginning of that long sleep and runs fine today. BTW I'm a pro wrench with 30 yrs exp too.

He said he drove it back to the mechanic how could it be seized?
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy gang, actually thats exactly what happened. Engine sat for a year prior to final install. Ran ok per my previous post. Then next morning it seized. The main bearing may have not gotten enough oil. As for the assumption that my mechanic is some sort of crook... car was bought and paid for 2 years ago. All work is done on his time at his expense. He is making things right.

I am happy to report that she is home with me tonight and she runs!!!
Packing tomorrow and hitting the road!
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
Easy gang, actually thats exactly what happened. Engine sat for a year prior to final install. Ran ok per my previous post. Then next morning it seized. The main bearing may have not gotten enough oil. As for the assumption that my mechanic is some sort of crook... car was bought and paid for 2 years ago. All work is done on his time at his expense. He is making things right.

I am happy to report that she is home with me tonight and she runs!!!
Packing tomorrow and hitting the road!

Good to hear. Now,....drive it like you stole it. Laughing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All in all it was an amazing trip, Jedidiah Smith, Yosemite, Kings River (drove it like I stole it Semper_Dad!), and a good shake down trip most of it with the top down too. I learned ALOT (for instance a 10 hour trip at freeway speeds with the top down will make you deaf soon lol, and I really should have hooked up heat, not just defrost)! Had engine trouble (as noted in my other thread asking for a VW shop near Crescent City CA lol). But my mechanic has her now and is troubleshooting, he felt horrible for the trouble I had and has some modifications in mind that will make her a better daily, larger gas tank, re-jetting carb, new shocks (right front went soft on me and caused tire rub), a ram air idea to force more air over heads during extended freeway speeds) all at no cost to me. I'll update next time she is mobile, which should be soon!

I wan't to thank all who offered advice and criticism, without both I would not have learned all I have and be having the fun I am today!
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! Just got back from a visit with my mechanic, and boy did he have good news! The sudden loss of power and subsequent issues regarding Cylinder #4 (no RPM drop when pulling plug wire from cap for #4, but all others show noticeable RPM drop when pulled, I.E. poor mans cylinder test lol) were the result of a broken valve spring! Apparently I made the exact right choice and stopped driving so avoided further serious overheating and metal chewing.

It's replaced and compression tests show exact same results as before (all 4 good). Working out a new exhaust (damn that monza style is hard on my ears after 6 hours) most likely stock, replacing main pulley seal (leaking from behind and spraying oil), adding larger gas tank, and last but not least modifying the ears to allow for greater air flow (i'll post pics of what he comes up with).

Also a quick question, I have General Grabber AT2's 27x8.5R14 all around and have no issues with rubbing accept for passenger side front on turns to the left. I suspect it's a collapsed shack and am replacing all 4 original shocks, my mechanic is concerned the tires are too large for a 1776 with stock trans, opinions?

I have a 72 Bay window that is getting a major engine and trans modification and those tires would be fine on it (assuming they fit under the wells) so I am not adverse to a tire swap if it will save me from overheating. Again I am very interested in your opinions and advice, thanks in advance!
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
rubbing accept for passenger side front on turns to the left.

I have 205/70/14 on my Thing and it rubs in the exact same way, on the inside of the fender well, In fact my tire tore up the vent line that runs right thru that area. I've moved the vent line and beat the fender lip back but it still rubs at extreme left.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: