Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autocrossing the 58 rag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
-Boosted-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me a price on the Bug please.... Cool
55superbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics form the drive home from bugo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mild-Core
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice price or Crack Pipe?

http://jalopnik.com/5917236/for-6800-will-the-su+bug+ru-fill-your-hipster-heart

I bet if it was a 58 rag it wouldn't have been voted "crack pipe".
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pictures from the VW Classic weekend:

The car did great! My wife drove it down (nearly 400 miles one way!) a day early, and I met her the next day with our Bus. She said the Bug effortlessly did 75mph right up the Grapevine pass, in the fast lane the whole time.

We drove it around all weekend, did several 100mph+ runs down the freeway to show off for people, chased down a Boss 302 Mustang, and didn't have to even touch the toolbox. I love this car!

LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sweet! Gotta love those 100 mph runs Laughing nothing like burying the needle in an old beetle. So far i've gotten to "oil" mph Laughing of course in mexico on a closed course Wink
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blew up the motor again. Spun another rod bearing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlgOVlUQQEY&feature=plcp

Look for the tiny flash from the oil light (red light to the right, in the radio block off plate) at 1:21. It only lights up for a half a second at the most!

Hell, I'll rebuild it again, only this time it's getting a dry sump system. It's also getting a turbo with a water-to-air intercooler before it goes back together. I also want to clean up a few other things.... So it will all be fore the better, but I'm still pissed tha tI broke it again.

On the bright side, the car felt fantastic out on the autocross course. I'll post up some pictures of it in the next couple of days. Before the race, I inheirited a pair of ultra high camper top trailing arms for the balljoint beam. Those got me 4.5 degrees negative up front, to go with the 3.5 negative that I've got in the rear. It did hurt my braking, but the grip in the corners is amazing! Amazing enough to make all the oil sit on one side of the motor, apparantly!

RIP HBB 10.10.84 - 12.25.09
1958 Ragtop Bug Build - Subaru Swap!
1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia FOR SALE
1957 Dove Blue Kombi field find
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hey at least you got it on video this time! That poor motor, it wasn't even being properly flogged! Crying or Very sad
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
Well hey at least you got it on video this time! That poor motor, it wasn't even being properly flogged! :cry:

Yeah, the video is cool. But the most shocking part of the video was not seeing the oil pressure light. It'd good to know that it's not my fault for not noticing the light, because I really was trying to keep an eye on it.

But wait, you don't consider that autocrossing to be "proper flogging"? I dunno, sitting between 5500-7500 RPMS while pulling close to 1G of lateral force seems pretty abusive to me! haha What kind of driving are you doing that qualifies as proper flogging?

I've been looking into the cost of dry sump systems. Cosworth sells one for $3500. OUCH. I may be building one myself if even half of that is the going rate. I can modify my oil pan, and get a universal dry sump pump, make the brackets, and then either buy, modify, or build a tank. I just really don't want it to look all clunky and messy. The Cosworth kit really does look sharp!

These guys have a really cool system too, which mounts the dry sump pump directly in the oil pan. That would make for a VERY clean install, but I am afraid it would hang down too low for my car:

http://www.daileyengineering.com/subaru_ej_4_cylinder.htm

Last edited by OTO X58 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice vid, looks like a damn beast.

sucks about the motor though Sad
how in the hell did it get around your sump and windage tray Confused
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Subi guy was showing me the sump off his WRX track car last time he had it apart, it's got a fancy anti surge baffle setup in the bottom

basically they are like hinges which only open inwards around the pickup tube so even under hard cornering there is always oil around the pick up.

I've never had surge issues under hard cornering but he wants me to do similar to mine because it's so shallow and wide

LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTO X58 wrote:

But wait, you don't consider that autocrossing to be "proper flogging"? I dunno, sitting between 5500-7500 RPMS while pulling close to 1G of lateral force seems pretty abusive to me! haha What kind of driving are you doing that qualifies as proper flogging?

I suppose you're right, I was just thinking more along the lines of straight line screaming for flogging an engine. But I guess unspectacular death is better because you can save it Laughing
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
OTO X58 wrote:

I suppose you're right, I was just thinking more along the lines of straight line screaming for flogging an engine. But I guess unspectacular death is better because you can save it :lol:

I wouldn't call it unspectacular until I take it apart. Losing a rod bearing at redline tends to do plenty of damage.

Fast sraight line driving really is easy. I drive it like that literally every single day on my way to work. Full throttle to 7000rpms, shift, do it again, and again. Running up and down in the RPMs is no problem at all, and is WAY easier on an engine. Tell you what, try this. To simulate the beating an Autocross or road race engine goes through, put your engine on an engine stand. Pin the throttle at 6500rpms. Then tip it over 45 degrees. Let me know how long it lasts. LOL

Endicott jb
Bondo King

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTO X58 wrote:
LeviMan2001 wrote:
OTO X58 wrote:

I suppose you're right, I was just thinking more along the lines of straight line screaming for flogging an engine. But I guess unspectacular death is better because you can save it Laughing

I wouldn't call it unspectacular until I take it apart. Losing a rod bearing at redline tends to do plenty of damage.

Fast sraight line driving really is easy. I drive it like that literally every single day on my way to work. Full throttle to 7000rpms, shift, do it again, and again. Running up and down in the RPMs is no problem at all, and is WAY easier on an engine. Tell you what, try this. To simulate the beating an Autocross or road race engine goes through, put your engine on an engine stand. Pin the throttle at 6500rpms. Then tip it over 45 degrees. Let me know how long it lasts. LOL

I like your response thomas. Now put that brain to work and figure out a way to stop blowing up engines.

OORAH!!
1965 vw beetle(Mayble)
1968 vw beetle(Caroline)
1974 VW Panel Bus
2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins(Katey)

.|_____|.
(0\_!_/0)
.||......||.

Don't drink and post
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg353/endicott_jb/IMG_20110113_085237.jpg
When life throws you curveballs switch to boomerangs.
subgraphic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your motor, but I'm looking forward to your ne t setup coming together!

Slightly off subject, can you show how your says are mounted? I looked through the thread and dint see..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endicott jb wrote:

I like your response thomas. Now put that brain to work and figure out a way to stop blowing up engines.

LOL what a dick! I like your response too. I'll get to work, and try not to overheat my brain.

subgraphic wrote:
Sorry about your motor, but I'm looking forward to your ne t setup coming together!

Slightly off subject, can you show how your says are mounted? I looked through the thread and dint see..

The sway bars? I'll snap some pics the next time I'm out in the garage. But they're mounted the same way they are on any bug, I didn't do anything different for those. Just those stainless steel T clamps that come in the Bugpack kit.

Here's some pictures from the event:

OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
My Subi guy was showing me the sump off his WRX track car last time he had it apart, it's got a fancy anti surge baffle setup in the bottom

basically they are like hinges which only open inwards around the pickup tube so even under hard cornering there is always oil around the pick up.

I've never had surge issues under hard cornering but he wants me to do similar to mine because it's so shallow and wide

I've seen those style trap door oil pans before. And I thought about it when I built my pan, I just figured I had done enough... I figured wrong!

I never had surge issues on the street, even with my slicks on the street. It's a whole different world on the actual race course. You can't really gauge your suspension setup or anything else until you actually get out there and thrash on it. I think your subaru buddy is right about the short and wide pan. Ther'es no way around that in a VW application, unfortunately. I just suspect that even the trap door won't really fix it, if you get into a situation where you're turning really hard for a sustained amount of time.

subgraphic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTO X58 wrote:
Endicott jb wrote:

LOL what a dick! I like your response too. I'll get to work, and try not to overheat my brain.

subgraphic wrote:

The sway bars? I'll snap some pics the next time I'm out in the garage. But they're mounted the same way they are on any bug, I didn't do anything different for those. Just those stainless steel T clamps that come in the Bugpack kit.

Here's some pictures from the event:

Ugh- sorry! I meant seats! Embarassed
I think you have 911 seats in there- I have a pair I need to mount in...

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

subgraphic wrote:

Ugh- sorry! I meant seats! :oops:
I think you have 911 seats in there- I have a pair I need to mount in...

Thanks!

Oh, gotcha! Yeah I'll take a picture of them. Don't expect anything amazing, though! It's just a couple of pieces of angle iron and some square tubing.

Capsoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bout the motor, shit always happens when your having fun. Hell, my bug would never break if I drove it like Miss Daisy....but that would be gay. For the money, I think Jeff's idea of an Accusump would be the best bet. Drysump is cool and all, but just a lot of $$.

Hope you are serious about turbo, It would be really cool if we all got to roll together spooling it up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vinnems
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oto! Haven't visited this thread (hell, this site) in a long while. Glad to see your car still kicking. New paint job is sick, as is the whole project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 44

Jump to: