Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low-buck front bumper
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Low-buck front bumper Reply with quote

I wanted something a little different than the stock front bumper on my 181, but didn't want to shell out much money. so, the scrounge was on- what can i build with useless, worhtless parts i have lying around the shop? i had an old mangled thing bumper from a parts car. well, sort of a bumper. it was just the center three feet, essentially from mount to mount. some previous owner had hacked off the ends. digging deeper into the corners of the shop, i fould an old rear bumper from a chevy s-10 "baja' edition. i had bought this from a scrapyard about five years ago with the intention of adapting it to my old now-sold jeep scrambler. Hmmmm. i flipped the baja bumper upside down, clamped it to the thing bumper, did some measuring, did some cutting, did some welding, did some more cutting, and here is the result:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=101156

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=101155
i still have some final tweaking to do, and i plan to add some light tabs, but overall, i am pretty pleased with the result.

total investment- $15

timgud, here's proof that i really do own a thing. those are your ex-wheels you see in the pic, BTW.

I apologize for the poor quality and angles of the pics- i work in some real tight spaces- my garage itself is only 9' wide, and 24' deep. i have to go outside to change a socket!
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qoute: timgud, here's proof that i really do own a thing. those are your ex-wheels you see in the pic, BTW.

LOL .... Took you long enough!

Pretty good bumper for a $15 investment, and it should look good after you clean it up. Those 14" wheels sure cleaned up well too. Good to see former parts on another Thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Low-buck front bumper Reply with quote

bljones wrote:
my garage itself is only 9' wide, and 24' deep.

hey, at least you have a floor. the floor of mine is dirt...come to think of it, at least i have a garage, lots of people don't have anywhere to work.

but you haven't really shown dedication to your project until you have spent 4 or 5 hours straight in your dirt floored, unheated garage in 0 degrees weather. i did this on many occasions last winter, dressed up like the michelin man in layers of grubby down clothing, including down filled pants.

now brian, does this mean we will see your thing at the june jitterbug this year? that gives you 6 months!
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the plan, scott. it's down to the final bodywork and then paint and reassembly.

It started off as a simple cosmetic teardown and rebuild two years ago, then the "well if you're gonna do that, might as well do this too... and i guess i'll do...' kicked in.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bumber looks pretty cool.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: