Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

where to find TPS for 1.9L 1985
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrhooie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: where to find TPS for 1.9L 1985 Reply with quote

I purchased a TPS kit from Van Cafe a few years ago and after screwing around with it on and off I finally got it to work and my 1985 1.9L ran really well for about 15 minutes. While rounding the corner to come back home, the idle started to hunt again.
I had a look at the throttle and couldn't hear the switch click at idle or full throttle. I grabbed my multimeter and tried to adjust the TPS to no avail so i removed the throttle body to find the switch was now failed (no clicking)

Now i did have to adjust the spring steel to allow the TPS cam to hit the switch (i bent it out so the cam would hit the spring steel and activate the switch)

I can't find one anywhere except Van Cafe's new version which I will order tomorrow, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean you bent the arm on the switch because it wasn't hitting the cam--right?

If you had to bend the arm to have it open & close on your Cam--the cam was an earlier 1.9 TPS cam--and is too small for the switch that you ordered.
There is an earlier cam & switch, and a later 1.9 cam & switch.

The earlier one has a real small cam--and I can see what you did to get the switch to ride on it to open & close.

You probably broke the switch bending the arm.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrhooie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which is odd Terry as I ordered the cam and switch as a kit from Van Cafe

also, i measured the cam to get an idea if i could order the new part ffrom Van Cafe that they have and my cam is 17mm (ruler, not digital)

Last edited by mrhooie on Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long ago?
And you did have to bend the switch arm to get it to ride on the cam--right?

Early switch plate--big difference.
VW went from 2 switches, to one switch ( smaller sized cam & different switch,) then the later one--same as the 2.1 TPS with a different switch & cam--all bigger.
mrhooie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be 2 years ago. i had ordered http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_159 and don't believe that i remounted these on the mounting plate that it came as one kit, i reused the allen bolts

it replaced a one switch tps. you're thinking that the original one was smaller and that affected the new kit i replaced it with?

thoughts going forward? if i buy their new kit, will i run into the same issue?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So as long as you have a 86 to 91 this one should fit"

Did you read that in the newer style switches descripton?

Sounds to me like you might have an earlier, smaller cammed switch which a replacement is still in the works.

If this be the case, & your in a hurry, find yourself a later model Thottle Body & bolt that on.

Case Closed.
Problem solved.

That's what I'm thinking.
mrhooie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks Terry.
The throttle body is the biggest player in this? meaning that if i had an earlier throttle body, the later kit wouldn't have worked?

appreciate your time!

Hughie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: