Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel cache found! Thoughts on some of these wheels?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panzer82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Wheel cache found! Thoughts on some of these wheels? Reply with quote

I've been working on my '82 Westfalia after re-acquiring it after a 12 year hiatus... the last 8 or so years it was left out in a Kansas farm field. I've buffed it, waxed it, runs great at this point... I've been thinking about wheels. I'd like to upgrade my 14" steel wheels with hub caps with something bigger and came across some good ones at work (I work for an MB dealer).

There are sets and sets of wheels stacked up in the back of our detail shop. Most are big, 17" - 20" wheels ... all kinds: AMG, aftermarket, BMW, Jaguar, etc.

For years people have been trading in cars, they give two sets of wheels to the dealership with their trade (usually with mounted snows for our Minnesota Winters) and they end up here, forgotten about.

But there are some 16" sets and one set of 15".

Check out this set of photos on my Flickr feed.

I tried to note the tire sizes (if the wheels had tires mounted) in the description of each photo if you click on them.

I was excited when I found what I thought was a stack of 4 CLK320 wheels with tires. I was disappointed to find that as I unstacked them, there were four tires and only two wheels, so I went down the line.

There is a full set of 16" wheels that came off of an SLK230, this is some aftermarket wheel, but looks decent, I could do these.

The ones I really want to use, and would be interested in your thoughts on are the only set of 15" wheels in the bunch (Loogy, any thoughts here?). The Fuchs wheels... these came off of a Porsche 912 like 15 years ago (been sitting there since!). They are 15" x 6" and have a load rating stamped into them... of, 1850 I believe, I can look again tomorrow.

I LOVE these wheels, always have. I've gone this long with 14" wheels... so 15s would be an improvement... or is better to go all the way up to 16"s? I love old Porsches and would love to use this wheel.

The other ones I'm interested in, a set of four, are from a W210 E class (215/55/R16 tires currently mounted). I would get rid of the tires and get new, but I don't think I've seen this wheel mentioned specifically in 'the ultimate wheel post" Any thoughts on these?

If you have CLK wheels and want a spare, I'm sure I could get these two shipped to you if you PM me.

Check out the AdVANture Travelogue: 12,000 miles on the back roads of America in a VW Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On T3's site go HERE for info on the Fuch fitments.

Just make sure your tire diameter stays close to stock. Air cooled motors likes it to stay cool. Finding the properly rated tire in a wheel size(15,16,17) and right diameter is what you need

Most MB wheels are thicker in the bolt area. So longer studs in the rear are very common.

66.56mm center hole is needed also.
Theres a start!! Very Happy
Find the wheels you like and post the stamped info on the inside of the wheel.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with the 15x6 Porsche Fuchs like you have is that most have a 23.3mm offset. With the thinnest spacers that we can build being 15mm, that leaves you with a 8.3mm offset. The wheels are narrow enough that they don't really stick out too far, but their definitely not "right" either. I'm happy to help you get them installed if you like, but I just wanted you to know that they aren't the best fit.

These wheels are a better candidate:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They are 16x7.5 ET41 and will fit with 12mm spacers, longer rear wheel studs, small ball seat rear lug nuts and either small ball seat front lug nuts or front conversion studs and small ball seat lug nuts. The only modifications that need to be performed to the wheels is to drill out the lug holes to 37/64" (I have inexpensive drill bits in stock if you need). PM me for more details on the parts if you are interested.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Panzer82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the PMs, the clk wheels will be gone, one way or another to the first couple of guys who contacted me, as spares.

I'll see what I can do about finding more of these clk wheels too. It's really common in Minnesota here for people to have had two sets of wheels for their RWD cars, clks were really bad in the snow, so there are a lot of extra sets of wheels. I'll ask around and see what I can find and report back if I can get my hands on any others.

Check out the AdVANture Travelogue: 12,000 miles on the back roads of America in a VW Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:

These wheels are a better candidate:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They are 16x7.5 ET41 and will fit with 12mm spacers, longer rear wheel studs, small ball seat rear lug nuts and either small ball seat front lug nuts or front conversion studs and small ball seat lug nuts.

While I have no idea about the wheels in that picture, those rims also come in a 15x7 ET49 version--I previously owned a set. Just thought I'd add that, since it's important to note that MB rims aren't particularly uniform, and may have similar appearances, but very different dimensions.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: