Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on the new GRE revised General Test (Grad School)
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Advice on the new GRE revised General Test (Grad School) Reply with quote

Hello everyone.... it's been a while since I needed some real advice, but I come here for a fresh perspective.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

I completed my degree in May of 2011, and, as many of you know, the job market is a bit bleak right now.... over this past year, I have become dissatisfied with the opportunities that abound outside of the academic atmosphere that I have grown accustomed to. And so, I have begun the application process for the PhD. program at my Alma Mater, http://www.ucmerced.edu/.

I am fortunate to have been fast-tracked through the rather lengthy process, the previous sponsorship of the Grad-Division, and the support of both, my Dean (made his list three out of four times) and my former research laboratory Senior Faculty Member/Mentor... however, there is one place that their influence on my application will matter not. The GRE.

In the second week of next month, I am scheduled to take the new GRE that has only been being offered since August 1, 2011. Hence the 'Revised' term... anyway, I would hope that someone on this site has some first-hand experience with this revised version.

In 2010, I was trained by the Grad-Div to take the last version of the GRE... (6 Weeks of rigor). But this test has now been changed...

I am hoping that there is a small population on this site that may have experience with either, both versions of the test or just the new one, training/studying materials must be Free (no Kaplan or Princeton Review test prep companies)... because I passed-up my Grad-Div sponsored chance to apply last year Brick wall , I no longer have the financial support of the Grad-Div to train, pay for, or even get to the location that this world-wide exam is administered in.

I have been advised that this test is just a formality for my expedited application and that there is no minimum score to be admitted to the program of my choice, but I am under no illusion that this score will not follow me the rest of my days in academia, and I aspire to do very well.

ALL advice, comments, experiences, and/or wishes of good luck will be heartily accepted with open arms.

Okay guys, rip me apart... Wink

I am a Dick, hear me roar- Laughing

Me, an OVP Lifer...
Busryder
Samba SuperHero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a very expensive lot of study materials that was 'payed forward' to me by a former laboratory colleague of mine that has just been accepted to Purdue, (Cog-Sci PhD.).

I was given these materials on the condition that I, also, pay this forward once I have finished with it.

So.... IF anyone here finds themselves in need of this package, I will make it available under the same conditions... keeping it here in TheSamba.com community. Just keep it in the family, by passing this around here on this site.

I will update this thread as updates become available. Please feel free to PM me so that I can make a list of forward payees that will receive this very expensive GRE study packet.

I should be done with this by December... shipping charges will apply to all recipients.

And thanks guys.... Rolling Eyes for the wishing of good luck, of which there is no proof it even exists. Very Happy

Thanks again,
Damian

I am a Dick, hear me roar- Laughing

Me, an OVP Lifer...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: