Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Having an awful time installing glass.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Having an awful time installing glass. Reply with quote

We are having an awful time installing solid glass in our bus, 67 (westy). We started with the rear corner and it seems like the gasket is too thick. I got them from WW and they are correct but it seems nearly impossible to get them in. We had used rope method but it appears there just isn't enough room for the gasket and glass to clear the opening recess of the body. I fear glass shops are clueless to our buses. More tips needed?

Is side glass more difficult to install than windshield or hatch because there is a recess?
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All glass is hard to install. Smile Try installing roof windows with new rubber. FUN!

I use a heat gun to get the rubber softer (YMMV). I put the rubber around the window heat it up. Let it sit, heat it up etc. The rubber has to fit pretty nice before trying to install in the bus.

Then uh, use lots of lube. Smile People say soap and water but, yeah, it doesn't work for me. The water dries up WAY too fast and it's just not slippery enough.

Get a helper! Some people have god awful strong fingers, find one. My wife helped me install my windows (once) and she kicks butt at it. She won't help anymore because 'of too many openings'.

I think windshields are easier because they're bigger, the rubber fitment doesn't have to be so precise, the rubber gives in eventually. The smaller the window, the harder it is to get in. But it's also more rewarding. Keep pushing Smile
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Having an awful time installing glass. Reply with quote

Linda Grunthaner wrote:
We are having an awful time installing solid glass in our bus, 67 (westy). We started with the rear corner and it seems like the gasket is too thick. I got them from WW and they are correct but it seems nearly impossible to get them in. We had used rope method but it appears there just isn't enough room for the gasket and glass to clear the opening recess of the body. I fear glass shops are clueless to our buses. More tips needed?

Is side glass more difficult to install than windshield or hatch because there is a recess?

Original glass or new glass cut at a glass shop? New glass is almost always slightly thicker than original, and if they cut it slightly oversize it can cause install issues. Also, ask them to slightly bevel the edges on new glass, it helps to relieve the issues of that glass being thicker than original.
Culito

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicone spray! Those windows will jump right in.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ldsvwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the rubber out on the sun to warm them up and 3-1 silicone spray is your best friend (thanks to whomever suggested that a while back)
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple Green works well and is slick and soapy, it washes away and doesn't cause future paint adhesion problems like silicone or oil based products. When you use dish soap, it works ok at first but gets kinda sticky as the water starts to dry up, then it's worse than using nothing at all.

I got this advice years ago and wow what a difference it made.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, did you totally give up on your jalousies? Stationary glass in a bus in Jersey? Do you like to sweat? I vote for putting your jalousies back in as they are. You will be so glad for the ventilation.
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the liquid wrench silicone spray for rubber seals and some weed eater twine. Should be a breeze with that combo. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least a thin coating of non-fibered roofing tar on the body openings. This acts as a sealant, rust preventer and lubes up the rubber to slip in easily.

NEVER use rope, the ribbed of the wound threads acts like a serrated knife through the rubber.
Use automotive wiring, the insulation is just soft and smooth enough to keep from tearing up the paint, and not cutting up the rubber.

Using silicon as a lube is bad if later you need to do some painting. The silicon is a pain to get off the body and causes fish eye affect in the paint.
scottf3334
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did all the windows in a bug with Astroglide and cheap cotton clothesline.

In case you don't know, Astroglide is a water based lubricant, designed not to affect latex. Just rinses away with no reside. There are some others out there. Look in the family planning aisle.

It is kind of expensive, but I'm sure you can find a use for the rest of the bottle Shocked
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
At least a thin coating of non-fibered roofing tar on the body openings. This acts as a sealant, rust preventer and lubes up the rubber to slip in easily.

NEVER use rope, the ribbed of the wound threads acts like a serrated knife through the rubber.
Use automotive wiring, the insulation is just soft and smooth enough to keep from tearing up the paint, and not cutting up the rubber.

Using silicon as a lube is bad if later you need to do some painting. The silicon is a pain to get off the body and causes fish eye affect in the paint.
I've been putting/taking glass in/out of VWs for 35+ years... with waxed clothesline cord (rope), with soap and water. Have NEVER torn any rubber, (unless it was rotted/decomposed). On the otherhand, in a pinch, I have used insulated wire and it has cut and shredded seals because it is too thin. The seal is the SEAL. I have used roofing tar... on my roof. Silicone overspray wipes easily off paint with acetone, although it (silicone spray OR sealant has no use for installing glass). Just my method and opinion.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain! I just sent back WW rubber and spoke with Tony for awhile about the fitment of the stationary glass seals. I ended up buying my seals from Ronnie at Bustorations. Comparing the two side by side is incredible! I should of taken pics. Ronnies are from Germany, and made to VW spec. They have the correct sealing ribs, thickness, and preformed corners. They are $44each, and worth every penny. I busted 2 pieces of OG Sigla glass messing with the WW seals. Tony said he's looking at their rubber seals to see if something has happened with the sizing. Not trying to bash WW, I buy a ton from them, somethings just don't fit the way they should.
On stationary glass, I find it easier to insert the bottom first, and slowly work the glass into place side to side. Working it a little at a time until I get to the top. If you look at the angle of the window opening, it is canted inward. This works the best for me...just finished 4 of them. Lots of windex or 3M makes a great window cleaner/ lube that I got from my local glass shop. Good luck!
Scott
61TXghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use KY Jelly and it works great! OK, lets hear the jokes. LOL. Are your window frames smooth or rough, mine were rough due to primer and I smoothed them out with some sand paper and they went right in.
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61TXghia wrote:
I use KY Jelly and it works great! OK, lets hear the jokes. LOL. Are your window frames smooth or rough, mine were rough due to primer and I smoothed them out with some sand paper and they went right in.

I use KY to shave (try it guys its amazing) and use windex for window installation along with yellow masons string its very smooth to the touch and have never hurt the rubber.
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottf3334 wrote:
Did all the windows in a bug with Astroglide and cheap cotton clothesline.

In case you don't know, Astroglide is a water based lubricant, designed not to affect latex. Just rinses away with no reside. There are some others out there. Look in the family planning aisle.

It is kind of expensive, but I'm sure you can find a use for the rest of the bottle Shocked

They use a lot of that stuff in the San Fernando Valley.
galexander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on the Samba a few years back and it works great for all seals...Baby Powder!
Putting the door frame seal in the channel with baby powder is so easy, it's almost unreal.
Plus, your Bus will smell nice.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I feel your pain! I just sent back WW rubber and spoke with Tony for awhile about the fitment of the stationary glass seals. I ended up buying my seals from Ronnie at Bustorations. Comparing the two side by side is incredible! I should of taken pics. Ronnies are from Germany, and made to VW spec. They have the correct sealing ribs, thickness, and preformed corners. They are $44each, and worth every penny. I busted 2 pieces of OG Sigla glass messing with the WW seals. Tony said he's looking at their rubber seals to see if something has happened with the sizing. Not trying to bash WW, I buy a ton from them, somethings just don't fit the way they should.
On stationary glass, I find it easier to insert the bottom first, and slowly work the glass into place side to side. Working it a little at a time until I get to the top. If you look at the angle of the window opening, it is canted inward. This works the best for me...just finished 4 of them. Lots of windex or 3M makes a great window cleaner/ lube that I got from my local glass shop. Good luck!
Scott

I installed two WW stationary seals yesterday, by myself. I had no issues.
marksch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just did all the rubber on a 21 window with pink home depot marking string and corn starch. Last time I did this (which was years ago) we used soapy water which worked but I didnt like it. Somehow the idea of trapping water in the groves of the rubber just seemed like inviting rust down the road.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will go with motofly196 suggestion of buying Ronnies seal for the rear stationary glass and install all the jalousies. As you may be able to see the WW seal is super thick which is why it seems impossible to install. But I can't seem to locate it on his site. I will send a message for the correct link, http://www.bustoration.com/Seals-_c_32.html. I will also use the coated electrical wire and not 100% sure if I will use soapy water, powder, silicone or KY Wink

I will also try the front & rear glass with the WW that I have and if I have trouble I will get those seals from Ronnie as well.

I will also recruit my neighbor during the week as he has a 67 and I am sure done this before as he owned his bus for over 20 years and does all his own work. If unavailable my spouse will help over the weekend.

Back to polishing.

My thick string didn't help the situation:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

See how thick these seals are Shocked
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

motofly196 wrote:
Scott

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swervyjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put in sigla corner windows solo with astroglide, but I've since started using glycerine.
I used dish soap in the past, but stopped after pulling seals the seals and finding rust. I think I read that it has salt in it or something.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: