Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EZ Awning Plus Bent Poles
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: EZ Awning Plus Bent Poles Reply with quote

Hey all I got this EZ Awning plus this last weekend adn after i set it up i found the poles were bent by the tension of the tarp.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The product is great but i am wondering if anyone has the same issues. I PM'd a member that has the same problem does anyone else?

It prevents it from sitting flat against the van

and stresses the velcro sleeves this worries me because it may not last as long as i hope because of the strain on the seams. I got it from the Canadian supplier The Skylight Guy. they are trying to get to the bottom of it but i thought i would ask the community.
Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pretty sweet setup though!

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have your vertical support poles in the wrong location too close to the corners. Do you have any other close up shots of the set-up? I always have the vertical sections inside from where the cross poles attach.
SL1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
You may have your vertical support poles in the wrong location too close to the corners. Do you have any other close up shots of the set-up? I always have the vertical sections inside from where the cross poles attach.

and also check the tabs at the end where the poles fit, when i first used mine i had everything really tight and it looked like yours did. just tinkering a bit got everything to work ok. it is a nice awnng when set up correctly.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bent a pole the first time I set it up. Not too happy. I agree, a lot of tension seems to be taken by the poles . . . but most tents are designed like this.

There are a few tricks to setting it up properly. After some trial and error, here's how I do mine - different than the directions.

(Ron and Bus Depot, if you are reading this, I really think a Youtube videos on proper set up would help you sell more of these and make it a lot easier for buyers to rig it. If you offer me a discount on my next order and I will make it and post it myself.)

1) Install cross poles, make an "X"

2) Install both horizontal poles, but do not add the vertical legs yet.

3) Clamp one side of horizontal poles to rain gutter on van.

4) Last, install vertical legs.

I found this to be much easier to set up with one person, as it minimizes the awning turning into a big sail if a gust of wind comes along when you are halfway through.

I agree with the above comments - it's very stout and nice when set up correctly.

-CJ

Last edited by climberjohn on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bruce,

Maybe it's the tension poles that are too long by maybe an inch or two, that will probably be
the culprit. I haven't tried the slackened corners method, but it may be worth a try?

Oh, nice Westy BTW, tell Brian he should consider painting his White also!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I love this site. thanks for the replies, to answer a few questions. I have the vertical poles inboard of the cross poles by at least 12 inches. I also tried to release the four corner velcro's and lift the overhang over the ends to release the tension. I agree with Tim that the cross poles are perhaps too long, this is what causes the side poles to bow. I am heading out this weekend and will try a few of the tips.
This is a great awning but i am mostly worried that the awning will tear apart from the stitched on velcro pole sleeves.am i repeating myself?
Embarassed

Also with it pulled toward the centre it does not cover the sliding door very well, resulting in a leak where i want coverage the most. I think with use the nylon may relax a little.

I had a PM with Tim yesterday and he recommended to use tape to tape the poles together then attach the mid section to the van then pull the front and rear ends in.

Thanks for the compliment on the van Tim! But i think Brian is happy with his colour non stock as it is.
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concern I have is the joint showing, I don't think there ought to be a gap there.
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you've done this, but...
make sure you open the corner velcro fasteners while setting the metal poles in position.

They are there to take the tension off the fabric until you have the fibreglass pole ends fitted to the metal arms attached to the metal poles, (make sense?) With those flaps open, the poles can go in further so you can get the fibreglass poles fitted.

If you try to force them in without doing that step, you'll almost certainly bend the poles are tear the fabric.
Let me know if you need clarifying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWYellowstone wrote:
Concern I have is the joint showing, I don't think there ought to be a gap there.

X2

Push those poles together.
The Skylight Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Hey Bruce,

Maybe it's the tension poles that are too long by maybe an inch or two, that will probably be
the culprit. I haven't tried the slackened corners method, but it may be worth a try?

Oh, nice Westy BTW, tell Brian he should consider painting his White also!

Yes, I'm thinking along the same lines there!
Gibsons, BC Canada
604-740-1018
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Skylight Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillWYellowstone wrote:

I think it happened after Bruce bent the pole slightly so it won't go in all the way now...would be good to straighten that when you get a chance Bruce...and I'm still sticking to my idea that you could trim the poles slightly...
Gibsons, BC Canada
604-740-1018
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

double post, whoops, deleted.

Last edited by climberjohn on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning all. I had the awning up friday night, it was taken down and put up again on Sat. I exchanged the long poles from one side to the other.It was the same. I rolled them along a picnic table to see if they were bent. the poles are not bent in any way, they are arrow straight. If i release the velcro sleeves holding the poles to the awning they come back together straight with the awning pulled in. one of the first things i tried to adjust was the pockets in all four corners. I dont think it is the steel poles that are too long they are actually forced apart by the tension of the nylon.Shorter poles probably wouldnt help

I think the tension of the cross poles is what is pulling the steel poles into the bow shape. I have a photo of the tarp edge with the sleeves disconnected, the pole is mostly straight but the tarp edge is not. I will post it tomorrow when I get home from work.

This is a great product and I am in no way unsatisified with it. While it was up it took a pretty good constant Nova Scotia onshore breeze and barely moved with just the two guy lines pegged. I love the fact it can be adjusted for height/clearance, i had the front leg lower than the back to cut the breeze. i could still open the front door and walk under it and I am 6 foot tall.

I posted here thinking someone may have McGyvered a work around. lots of good ideas and I appreciate that. I will be away this weekend and I will try 1.moving the legs,
2 taping the pole together along the van side.
3. attaching the middle first over the sliding door,
4 relaxing the velcro sleeves.
5 readjusting the end pockets
We are expecting rain here tomorrow so it will be a good test for waterproofness too. I will keep everyone updated.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine doesn't doen't this, but its an early one.

poles get thinner?
Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Weekend setup Reply with quote

Good evening all. I am back from my weekend in the rain. Still having the same problem with the poles. When the awning is up the poles are fine holding together with no gaps, before i attach it to the van, but as it gets pulled straight into the rain gutter the poles become pulled apart as per my earlier pics. Attaching the middle and then the ends makes it easier to hold it. But doesn't keep it from pulling apart. Tape didn't help much it made the pole not fit into the rain gutter. I like this product and can work around this so no real biggie to me. It kept us dry through two days of Nova Scotia June downpours.

Edit here -I tried the tape again this weekend,with less tape it works beautifully. Keeps everything together

Last edited by Kejidog on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Skylight Guy wrote:
BillWYellowstone wrote:

I think it happened after Bruce bent the pole slightly so it won't go in all the way now...would be good to straighten that when you get a chance Bruce...and I'm still sticking to my idea that you could trim the poles slightly...

Switching the front and back poles does the same thing to them both. It's the middle section of
poles that gets bent out of shape. I don't think that there is an easy way to bend them back to a
straight postion, without maybe damaging them. I would hate to fold one of them over and crease
it. Then you'd really be in trouble. Does anyone know if there are spare parts that we can buy
ie. center poles instead of purchasing another kit?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
SL1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some camping supply stores and outfitter stores sell poles, various lengths and diameters, fiberglass and metal ones. maybe a replacement can be found at one of those, or something just a tad shorter???

I agree that we should be able to get a replacement pole from the suppliers though, just makes sense for something like this.
Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
The Skylight Guy wrote:
BillWYellowstone wrote:

Switching the front and back poles does the same thing to them both. It's the middle section of
poles that gets bent out of shape. I don't think that there is an easy way to bend them back to a
straight postion, without maybe damaging them. I would hate to fold one of them over and crease
it. Then you'd really be in trouble. Does anyone know if there are spare parts that we can buy
ie. center poles instead of purchasing another kit?

I DONT HAVE BENT POLES!!!!!! they are completely straight and interchangeable from left to right and all fit together snugly. They bend when pulled under tension of the tarp into a bow shape. They pop back together when released from the side of the van.

It is the action of pulling them straight along the rain gutter to attach to the van that separates them. If you can imagine as the center of the tarp raises under tension, it pulls the sides inward toward the centre like an hourglass shape. As the side along the rain gutter gets pulled back straight it draws the poles apart.

But as an ex-skier (now a snowboarder)...a good way to straighten a hollow pole is to lightly tap it against a solid surface like a tree to take any wows out of poles without kinking them. Works well if you fall on a pole and bend it.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually a Bus Depot product, yes (sold through The Skylight Guy)? If so, I'd contact BD directly to see if they have suggestions as to what's going on.
http://www.busdepot.com/contact-us/
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: