Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.0L FI Muffler Options
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Muffler for a 2.0L?
SuperTrapp
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Bus Depot
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 8

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: 2.0L FI Muffler Options Reply with quote

I have searched for mufflers and have found several options, but some of the conversations are years old.

I bought this muffler from aircooled.net and hate it. It's way too loud.
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Header-Only-Bus-with-T-4-Engine-75-79-2-0L-p/2034-10.htm

Options one: http://www.busdepot.com/exhaust-system-emissions/352000

Option two: I cut off the muffler on the one I bought from aircooled.net and stick a SuperTrapp on the end. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUP-449-2518/

I know some of you will say you like stock. Not going with stock unless I can't find something I like.

If there are any other options out there that I would be glad to hear about them from someone with a 2.0l that has been through the muffler hokey pokey.

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457806&highlight=vintage+speed

Second page of my thread here indicates Vintage Speed will be making one by the end of the year for our buses. I hear good (read that as costly) things about them.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they make glasspacks for buses? Cool
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:

Yep. Its part of the Jersey Look Jr Starter kit. Comes with a glue on mullet, 14x10 Cragers (with adapters) and an REO Speedwagon 8 track.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0L FI Muffler Options Reply with quote

Manfreds78bay wrote:
I have searched for mufflers and have found several options, but some of the conversations are years old.
I know some of you will say you like stock. Not going with stock unless I can't find something I like.

If there are any other options out there that I would be glad to hear about them from someone with a 2.0l that has been through the muffler hokey pokey.

You don't say anywhere what you actually want, other than NOT stock (why?) and NOT BugPack (too loud.)

So what DO you want? Sharing that will help us narrow the options for you a lot faster.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:

Yep. Its part of the Jersey Look Jr Starter kit. Comes with a glue on mullet, 14x10 Cragers (with adapters) and an REO Speedwagon 8 track.

Can I get a coupon for the shag carpet headliner with that kit? Very Happy
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:

I've looked everywhere but the Jr. kit is always sold out.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) Go to a bus meet and listen to some other exhausts to see which one catches your eye. You sound like you are going to play the but that one is too red and the other not red enough game.

Or

(2) write a letter to every exhaust manufacturer you can think of, tell them you are writing an article and have them ship you an exhaust. Bolt them up and do a test of looks, loudness and hp ratings. Then write the article, publish it and share a link with us to the article.

I have a stock muffler and catalytic converter with stock FI / EGR etc and a webcam 142 grind. I can hit 5400 RPM in 3rd gear climbing a steep hill without difficulty. We did the same up Tioga Pass grade at 9,900' but I backed it down to 4200 RPM rather than hold it above 5000 RPM all the way to the top just to keep stress down on the engine. But it is dull looking and quiet so 18 year olds don't drool and lick it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
(1) Go to a bus meet and listen to some other exhausts to see which one catches your eye. You sound like you are going to play the but that one is too red and the other not red enough game.

Or

(2) write a letter to every exhaust manufacturer you can think of, tell them you are writing an article and have them ship you an exhaust. Bolt them up and do a test of looks, loudness and hp ratings. Then write the article, publish it and share a link with us to the article.

I have a stock muffler and catalytic converter with stock FI / EGR etc and a webcam 142 grind. I can hit 5400 RPM in 3rd gear climbing a steep hill without difficulty. We did the same up Tioga Pass grade at 9,900' but I backed it down to 4200 RPM rather than hold it above 5000 RPM all the way to the top just to keep stress down on the engine. But it is dull looking and quiet so 18 year olds don't drool and lick it.

I see your point. I just want it quiet as I can get it. The reason I don't want to go with stock is that I'm lazy and I don't want to track down all the parts.

I've heard a supertrapp exhaust before and I do like it. There is a good write up for it in this forum, so that's why I put as a option. The Busdepot one has also been discussed but it very similar to the one I have and I don't trust that it will be quieter. I've also heard a stock exhaust and I like it. If I could, I wouldn't have exhaust noise at all.

The one I have now just doesn't sound good at all. I think it might be better suited for a lower CC engine and not a 2.0l. This thing is brand new and it sound like a straight pipe.

Is that a clearer picture for what I'm looking for?

Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:

just take off everything after the F pipes and call it good. nice n loud Cool

mine has a nice hole in the cross pipe before the stock muffler, and it backfires nicely on the downhills in gear....Very Happy

gotta fix it asap though, im gettting exhaust in the cabin and falling asleep at the wheel...gotta fix that...

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfreds78bay wrote:

I see your point. I just want it quiet as I can get it. The reason I don't want to go with stock is that I'm lazy and I don't want to track down all the parts.

Well, yeah, its clearer.

Your two best options, being from the great state of TX, are to convert to early model heat exchangers, at which point you can switch to a stock (quiet) exhaust with very little parts sourcing, and slightly better heat, to boot. This will not be the least expensive route, but it will give you the most value in the long run.

The other option is to buy a complete late exhaust from someone here on thesamba. They're in the classifieds. I saw two complete systems for late bay last night. Again, not the cheapest solution, but they will solve the noise issue.

In short, stock is the cheapest way to get quiet, and it isn't inexpensive.

M
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:

I'll check the FLAPS!! Thanks! OH MY GOD I'm going to cut those rear wheel wells RIGHT NOW! Twisted Evil
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:
Manfreds78bay wrote:

Well, yeah, its clearer.

Your two best options, being from the great state of TX, are to convert to early model heat exchangers, at which point you can switch to a stock (quiet) exhaust with very little parts sourcing, and slightly better heat, to boot. This will not be the least expensive route, but it will give you the most value in the long run.

The other option is to buy a complete late exhaust from someone here on thesamba. They're in the classifieds. I saw two complete systems for late bay last night. Again, not the cheapest solution, but they will solve the noise issue.

M

Thanks! I'll look into the stock exhaust then.

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:
They're in the classifieds. I saw two complete systems for late bay last night. Again, not the cheapest solution, but they will solve the noise issue.

M

I just looked in the classified and don't see them...can you send me the links?

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as I figured piecing the entire stock muffler together is going to be a combination of some new parts and used parts. And it's going to be over 300 bucks..probably closing in on 400 bucks when all is said and done.

I think I'll try and go with a Supertrapp which you can rebuild.

I have yet to have anyone chime in results besides the people that have stock which I didn't want to go with anyway. Brick wall

poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0L FI Muffler Options Reply with quote

Manfreds78bay wrote:

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Header-Only-Bus-with-T-4-Engine-75-79-2-0L-p/2034-10.htm

Option two: I cut off the muffler on the one I bought from aircooled.net and stick a SuperTrapp on the end. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUP-449-2518/

Sadly, there aren't alot of choices. Its either cheap chinese steel that was used to construct less expensive headers/mufflers (thunderbird style with bugpack muffler), or the high dollar stainless. Then there is stock or EMPI.

Personally, I'm running the Tbird header and Bugpack. It's suppose to be a cooler running setup. After 8,000 miles I'm replacing the Bugpack muffler as we speak (painting it after this post!), because the steel hanger was ripping away from the muffler from the minor vibrations it endures. Rolling Eyes

I'd rather have it a bit louder if its going to benefit the engine's ability to shed the exhaust heat out of the system.
With that said, I don't find this setup to be loud at all. Of course, I've stripped the bus interior and put sound deadening material throughout. Even with the windows down, or when standing behind the bus while idling, it doesn't appear loud.

In the meantime, I hope to get through next summer driving the bus with the new bugpack, all the while saving for the stainless system aircooled.net sells. Unless something better comes along.

Just my .02.
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2.0L FI Muffler Options Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
Manfreds78bay wrote:

Sadly, there aren't alot of choices. Its either cheap chinese steel that was used to construct less expensive headers/mufflers (thunderbird style with bugpack muffler), or the high dollar stainless. Then there is stock or EMPI.

Personally, I'm running the Tbird header and Bugpack. It's suppose to be a cooler running setup. After 8,000 miles I'm replacing the Bugpack muffler as we speak (painting it after this post!), because the steel hanger was ripping away from the muffler from the minor vibrations it endures. Rolling Eyes

I'd rather have it a bit louder if its going to benefit the engine's ability to shed the exhaust heat out of the system.
With that said, I don't find this setup to be loud at all. Of course, I've stripped the bus interior and put sound deadening material throughout. Even with the windows down, or when standing behind the bus while idling, it doesn't appear loud.

In the meantime, I hope to get through next summer driving the bus with the new bugpack, all the while saving for the stainless system aircooled.net sells. Unless something better comes along.

Just my .02.

Can you send me some links to your setup so I can take a look? Thanks

poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did forget to mention that I converted to the 72-74 HE's and exhaust setup.

This is what I purchased when I bought my engine build products from Jake.
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/home.php?cat=353

And it looks like the 75-78 header for a similiar application to the 72-74 setup is considerably different.
As shown on this page.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/category-s/729.htm

The muffler section looks to be the same, other than the flange where it bolts up to the header.

Not sure if any of this helps.
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
I did forget to mention that I converted to the 72-74 HE's and exhaust setup.

This is what I purchased when I bought my engine build products from Jake.
http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/store/home.php?cat=353

And it looks like the 75-78 header for a similiar application to the 72-74 setup is considerably different.
As shown on this page.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/category-s/729.htm

The muffler section looks to be the same, other than the flange where it bolts up to the header.

Not sure if any of this helps.

Yes it seems like there are more options for the earlier buses/heat exchangers.

Devon-Dyno-Soar118
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had both Bugpack and EMPI, Bugpack header made 5th birthday, muffler was dead in 3 years, EMPI header s ok after 3 years but muffler fell apart after 18 months, plus it had no support brackets.
I am going back to stock for quiet and clearance until I can afford a proper stainless system. That said you have more issues as you have a more complex system.
Rust Collector.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: