Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Portable propane heaters, Mr. Buddy, others? Moisture issues
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanWilder wrote:
b00t wrote:
No way...pretty cool! Does it keep it warm?

It raises the temp about 10-15 degrees. I use it all winter long. Wink

VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: heater Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus I love my mr. buddy heater, heats up fast. But does make condensation, and there is the o2 issue. I've found to get around some of this when it is not to cold I just turn the heater on pilot light, yes it can keep you warm , but then again we live in Arizona! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

So one propane bottle and 3 people sleeping overnight, can consume the entire volume of air in a vanagon.

Turning off the heater when sleeping is a no brainer. It means 3 people sleeping overnight will only use 24% of the air in a Vanagon.

To put it differently, it would take 20 sleeping people, to equal the amount of air a 1gal propane tank uses per hour.

Unfortunately, the problem with the unvented propane heater is worse. When the concentration of oxygen starts dropping, their isn't enough oxygen in the air to burn the propane completely, and you start getting incomplete combustion with the byproduct carbon monoxide.

2 C3H8 + 7 O2 ------> 2 C + 2 CO + 8 H2O + 2 CO2

The 2 C is the carbon soot that you see. The 2 CO is the carbon monoxide that you don't see, but can kill.

The acute effects produced by carbon monoxide in relation to ambient concentration in parts per million are listed below:

Concentration Symptoms
35 ppm (0.0035%) Headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure
100 ppm (0.01%) Slight headache in two to three hours
200 ppm (0.02%) Slight headache within two to three hours; loss of judgment
400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal headache within one to two hours
800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours
1,600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, tachycardia, dizziness, and nausea within 20 min; death in less than 2 hours
3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
6,400 ppm (0.64%) Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes.
12,800 ppm (1.28%) Unconsciousness after 2-3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Big Buddy came with info detailing the needed size of the vent opening (car window cracked, house window cracked, etc) and I think it is 18 square inches or so. So, one window cracked an inch would do it (window appx 2 feet long). That is what I did in the Cruiser the other day.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Kejidog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanWilder wrote:
Propane? We don't need no stinking propane!

Link

Calculations for this are as follows:

Ingenuity + Mini Keg + Wood = HEAT

Just one's body heat in cold temps alone will make plenty of condensation. No way around it. Towels on the dash and wipe the windows regularly.

Happy heating Wink

that is so cool! well hot i guess. Looks like the wood stove at my parents cottage years ago!
jstar89crx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been installing Webasto Air Top heaters in vans. They are available in gasoline or diesel models. Can't beat 7000BTU's of bone dry forced air heat. I have put several in TDI powered vans and just put a gas one in a buddy's Eurovan Weekender. Pretty awesome camping in the rain and bringing the wet dog and gear into the van for the night to dry it out. Spendy but worth every penny in my opinion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: