Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stop It! Disc brakes
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely want more lug/threads like you're saying MadSpaniard.

Those brackets that burley sends are VERY high quality, as were the bolts sent. The entire kit is well thought, and complete soup to nuts.

I kinda shot myself in the foot a bit here, due to my interest of ordering the x-drilled rotors and upgraded pads from porterfield-brakes, I ended up with the wrong rotors in hand. Sure the pads will be nice, but havin the time delay is real bad for me, as I'm tryin to get all these mods done before months' end. Porterfield and my OE+ local retailer cannot find xdrilled, but Porterfield can machine in dust groves, crossdrill or other, very flexible.. I just am outta time, a stock version is gunna have to do, which with he porterfield R4S compound, its gunna rock.

Still, when you look at the competition 799+ or more.. For $649 for the entire setup, that burleymotorsports.com setup is SLICK. I tried to piece a kit together, and you just cant do it for all new parts..

I'd definitely order the Burley kit again. He's really responsive, and very customer oriented.

I do plan on taking step by step pics once I get into the install process, perhaps a video (if I can).

I've sourced the Addco bars, the Konis, the powerflex rack and swaybar bushings, the burley front and rear Arm bushings, and the front and rear brake upgrades. Its gunna be alot of "upgrade", and will be a night/day change for certain.

Despite the rotor setback, There is some positive, I just got off the phone with my local parts house (Autosport Import Seatac) and they can have the rotors by this afternoon.. 50 a pop for Zimmermans.. Not horrible.

As my fiberglass paint will still be curing, my weekend is lookin to be handlin these mods. Yum. Is it sick that I actually enjoy this sorta work?

I know these are gunna save my a$$ when it comes to those highways on Milliondollar highway, and 101, and so many other places where its stay on the road, or "imminent death below".

Tommorrow is my last day at Microsoft (yaaaay!), So I've got a myriad of projects that will see 8 hour project days to get to completion.

I'm so stoked to get on this trip.

Thanks guys for the support!
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stoked, looks like T3 technique has the 10 lugs for the rear, the 10 for the front, will be getting a couple extra for this tire swingout I'm setting up, and he's got Black lugnuts.

Longer Lug/studs and nuts were the last bit I needed to settle before taking on the upgrade.

Meeting up with Chris this morning, and havin the studs pressed in at Les schwab tonight.

To boot, it's also my last day at work, Sweet! Only thing left on my order list is a set of locking nuts.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got the good stuff, can't wait to see it all assembled.
kevinm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubbified, this looks really nice. I plan to do something similar.

Questions:
- Do you need spacers for the front calipers? Or are they not required if you use the Passat rotors?
- You need longer front studs as well with this setup, is that right?
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,

I'm soon to finish this modification, but the Smallcar and Burley kits state spacers shouldnt be needed.

I've been finishing my bodywork/paint before tossing a refinished top/canvas in.. down to the wire, workin 9 hour days.. uggh, tired!

Al
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, its been a whirlwind of a couple weeks I tell ya.

Finally out of our condo, and I'm hands on this beast 8 hours a day till its done!

So, here are some pictures of my feat today, the real hands on work is being done today/next couple days.

I went down to the local hardware store and purchased 10.9 flange bolts to upgrade the hardware..

I'm pretty stoked to finally get into this...

I'm using two floor jacks, a small 2 ton, an electric impact with the harborfreight 4wheel drive bushing service kit to extract the rubber bushes that were installed dec '10..

First, removing the hub.. I used a 1" drive breaker bar and 46mm socket I got at Napa some time ago, and the base/handle from my floor jack, had the lady start the van, pump, and hold the brakes, and I reefed that sucker. the wheel was off the van, with the rear pass side on jacks, ebrake pulled, in neutral (dont want to hurt the Auto locking pins) and it came off pretty good. I was expecting it to be harder.

Problem is here, I only broke loose the passenger side, vs BOTH, so being I'm hindsight in posting these pics, if you break the nuts loose, do them at the same time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

all this stuff is super new.. uggh.... pains me to do this, but I really wanted the extra braking gusto.

Stripped down to the backing plate,

next was to pull the wheel cyls..

and the main shoe support,

then remove the backing plate...

down to business.. first, loosened, removed the primary bolts, have new ones from t3..

disconnected brake lines, and removed inner bolt..

wanted to clean it up, degreased and hit it with a wire brush, and used some left over "Phospho", although, if you're at harborfreight, EVAPORUST is far superior.

When it came to removing the old rubber bushes... I drilled out the rubber to make extraction easier. Technically you can remove enough rubber, and pull them out by hand if you're crafty enough with the drilling, just be careful not to nick the steel collet too much..

I like using ratchet straps in a couple ways, works great.

First bushing out, and first Burley bushing in, using redline assembly lubricant after preparing with a dremel/sanding wheel,

Here are the Burley brackets installed, had to drill/upsize the bolt hole which secures the wheel cylinder on the old setup, top bolt.

All in all, these brackets were spot on, no touchups needed, and the steel.. hardcore.

tossed on the rotor, caliper..

more to come tommorrow.

FYI, I've been pretty busy, last week, I shot the van with a new singlestage, fixed all seams. Just tossed the basket on a day or so ago..

Thanks for lookin!

Al
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good

Cool

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up, is that a sunroof?
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea... Secret escape pod launch bay Cool
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so after much ado, not tightening right bolts and several redos later, upgraded the lines from rubber (that comes in the kit) to Stainless.

All hardlines were replaced in Jan 2011, and I powerbled the setup with Motive powerbleeder, those things are trick!

I did the rear Burleymotorsports big brake kit conversion and replaced rear bearings/repacked the hub with new bearings/synth red grease.

You can do the rear bearings and leave the CV/axle bolted together.. just make sure to drape good with papertowels.. cleaning is paramount.

I had a trick of a time getting the axles off the hubs, but I did also use 800 grit paper and flossed up the axles, they pulled right into place.

I also hand tamped the bearings, fun fun.

rear end nearly done..

Front addco/urethane bushes courtesy of T3 Techniques (Thanks for savin my ass!) literally I called em up and they had these on hand, even met up with me locally in Redmond, what a stand up guy!

I took about 2 days to do it all, but it was worth it I think.

The addcos come with beefy front bolts, I went out and got two large zinc nuts, and multiple washers. As I see how they want you to do it, was to use a washer on bolt through the endlink and then bolt onto the sway. I didnt see this locking up on the sway, and exerting the right kinda force to the endlink, so..

I started with a washer on the bolt, inserted into the endlink, another washer, a nut, swaybar, and nylock. The idea here was I didnt want the bolt wandering,.or the endlink touching the sway.

It really did firm it all up.

Front calipers/setup

This is the setup that should have come stock on the van.

Thanks for lookin and the feeback!

Al
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:

The addcos come with beefy front bolts, I went out and got two large zinc nuts, and multiple washers. As I see how they want you to do it, was to use a washer on bolt through the endlink and then bolt onto the sway. I didnt see this locking up on the sway, and exerting the right kinda force to the endlink, so..

I started with a washer on the bolt, inserted into the endlink, another washer, a nut, swaybar, and nylock. The idea here was I didnt want the bolt wandering,.or the endlink touching the sway.

It really did firm it all up.

Al

Nice,

I'm dealing with this right now, my endlink is touching the sway bar and wore the bushing and some metal. I need to add those nuts and washers

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
ShootingFish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it to drive, and how is the braking since all of the upgrades?

Props aren't just for boats....

'88 2WD ALH-TDI Westy Red Vanagon
'90 Syncro 16 Doka Yellow Vanagon
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we went for a 500 mile trip around the cascade loop, it was great.

I feel this upgrade is what the van was missing.

I also went with Konis, Gowesty lift springs and Addco front and rear sways, with all urethane bushes.

I think this van handles amazing. very very responsive, and a pleasure, vs RISK to drive.

I cant wait to embark on our cross country trip!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
So we went for a 500 mile trip around the cascade loop, it was great.

I feel this upgrade is what the van was missing.

I also went with Konis, Gowesty lift springs and Addco front and rear sways, with all urethane bushes.

I think this van handles amazing. very very responsive, and a pleasure, vs RISK to drive.

I cant wait to embark on our cross country trip!

That's a good road to test your suspension and handling, for sure! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:

Is the swaybar urethane bushing (purple in the above picture) from T3 technique? I was under the impression that 23mm was the largest diameter for the Powerflex bushings (and the Aadco bar is 1" = ~25 mm).

Thanks,
Joe

P.s. I have horrible creaking from the black urethane bushing that came with my aadco. I'm going to try some CV-2 on it, but was thinking that I would upgrade to Powerflex while I'm at it (if it exists in that size).
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joel,

Yea, after lookin at those black bushes, I needed to turn to T3 for these..

The Addco bushing is ok for the rear, but for the front I wanted the Powerflex, cause they're moulded for the shackle mount specfically. I reused the stock metal retaining strap.

On the bushes, I actually got the 21mm cause he was out of the larger.

I used a home depot (Vermont brand) barrel "burr" bit, and a dewalt drill, sized em up, and they work great!

Upsizing takes a little patience and attention to detail, but the burr bit did the trick, took me about 20 min for both.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: