Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bus beam diameter
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluepunchbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: bus beam diameter Reply with quote

I need to modify my towbar to bring home a bus. Does anyone know the diameter of the bottom beam of a 1971 Westfalia? Thanks

Dana
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: bus beam diameter Reply with quote

Dana,
I need a tow bar tow for the same reason. Please let me know if you find a source for a tow bar.
Thanks,
John
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: bus beam diameter Reply with quote

Hey Guys I am working on building a few bay bus tow bars here in Va. As for the diameter, 2.5 inches. -Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluepunchbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: bus beam diameter Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeremy,
John, there's your source - unless you get lucky like I did and find a towbar at a yard sale for $3.00!

Dana
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: bus beam diameter Reply with quote

Dana, is your towbar a bug tow bar? If so, in addition to a larger diameter, it needs to be lengthened, and either widened or narrowed, because a bug one is just the wrong width to hook onto a bus, would'nt you know it Wink Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluepunchbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: bus beam diameter Reply with quote

Jeremy,

I believe my tow bar was designed to be used with a Superbeetle. With the addition of the steel that goes around the beam at the end, I modified it to tow a beetle which it does very well (last tow was two hours with no problems). I know I'm going to have to extend it the better part of 3 ft. with steel pipe (my old arc welder is finally earning its keep!) but I haven't yet measured the width. You're probably right. I'm trying to modify it so that it will tow either our bug or the bus. I can cut it and I can weld it, and I need to get it modified before I can bring the bus home! If I do extend it to the required length (and width) for the bus will I have any problems towing our bug with it, since the bug will be quite a bit farther back from the tow vehicle than it is now?

Thanks for your help. Time to get the tape measure out and get under the thing out in the pasture where it sits (for now).

Dana
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: