Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late Model Luggage Rack Noise/Vibration
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Late Model Luggage Rack Noise/Vibration Reply with quote

I recently removed my Luggage rack for the first to clean under neither and to install the seal that goes around the bottom (Bus Depot).

Now I have a loud vibration once I hit 45 mph. I finally figured out that the noise is being generated by the unsupported gap in the front edge between the two front mounting brackets (center above the windshield).

I stuffed some paper shop towels between the luggage rack edge and the body. The noise went away.

I never had this vibration before. Has anyone have a similar issue? How did you fix it? Did I lose something when I removed it and didn't notice?

1982 AMC Eagle SX4 4.2L FI

Last edited by Manfreds78bay on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
mtcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same exact issue with the same seal. Here is the thread I started. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/826144.jpg Long story short I had to buy the bulbed type seal and gave the bus depot one to a friend with a vanagon, there is like the BD one stock. If you get the bulbed seal make sure to cut some holes in it to let water drain out.
mtcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry wrong link. Here you go. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=471687&highlight=cargo+gap+seal
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I even commented on that thread. I guess I was thinking about a different seal. Thanks!

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtcamper wrote:
Sorry wrong link. Here you go. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=471687&highlight=cargo+gap+seal

Yep exact same thing. Ordering now.

Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you send me a link to the part. I can't seem to find it on their new site.

Thanks

westyman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Bus Depot's Website

Standard Luggage Rack Seal Part Number 231070732

"Bulbed" Luggage Rack Seal Part Number lugseal2
mtcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah what he said the bulbed type. Too bad it is not listed that it may not work for late bays as is seems to not have worked for a few of us. Now we know and if you have a friend with a vanagon westy you can give it to them. Every vanagon westy I have seen has the style you and me bought and every late westy I have seen has the bulbed type. I have been paying attention since this happend to me.
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtcamper wrote:
Yeah what he said the bulbed type. Too bad it is not listed that it may not work for late bays as is seems to not have worked for a few of us. Now we know and if you have a friend with a vanagon westy you can give it to them. Every vanagon westy I have seen has the style you and me bought and every late westy I have seen has the bulbed type. I have been paying attention since this happend to me.

I'm going to send Bus Depot a not about it.

jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfreds78bay wrote:
mtcamper wrote:

Hopefully you are sending a "note".

I too had the same problem with the depot kit and remedied it with a "bulbed" seal.

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmstu76 wrote:
Manfreds78bay wrote:
mtcamper wrote:

I too had the same problem with the depot kit and remedied it with a "bulbed" seal.

Yes, a Note! Sorry about that. I also told them, I wasn't very pleased about having to pay twice for something, I thought I was already purchasing in the their kit.

jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfreds78bay wrote:
jmstu76 wrote:
Manfreds78bay wrote:
mtcamper wrote:

Yes, a Note! Sorry about that. I also told them, I wasn't very pleased about having to pay twice for something, I thought I was already purchasing in the their kit.

Sticking it to the man!

Kind of

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: