Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Formerly Rigid Hitch! Rear-ended, hitch folded, any advice?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Formerly Rigid Hitch! Rear-ended, hitch folded, any advice? Reply with quote

This morning we were the last car in a no-injury 4-car fenderbender chain reaction, and lucked out in that we didn't hit anyone in front of us. Our ancient hitch? Not so lucky.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bendy the hitch! The fiberglass bumper seems okay, but we're getting a full check/estimate because I'm not certain if there's other damage. Any experiences, advice, or thoughts? We'll listen.

Edited to make the subject line make a little more sense.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

consider yourself lucky! It's much easier to fix/replace the hitch than those bumpers. Makes me want to make sure my hitch sticks out further than my bumper.
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're SUPER lucky, steelhead. I still can't believe no one was injured on site. And we didn't hit anyone in the front, although by that time the force was lessening. The woman in the Toyota that was 3rd in the queue... her car isn't great. (us as 1st, driver behind us 2nd, Toyota owner with most damage esp. in trunk 3rd, guy who hit her 4th)

The guy who hit her really started the chain reaction, I don't think our van would have been the same had he struck us directly. He didn't have proof of insurance on hand and to be honest I'm pretty nervous about that, but the two cops on site got everyone's info.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windig89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the Tow hooks ( loops) did not get bent, a new hitch might not line up properly if they did. IF they are bent and a shop straightens them out for you, beware of the weld that connects them to the frame. The weld is the weakpoint on these tow loops and might be cracked.

Glad to hear everone and the WEsty is ok!
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks boostd! Good point. I'm going to have everything get a good once over, and will bring that up as a concern. I don't think there's more at risk but would be really bummed if deeper damage occurred.

And I'm just bummed period.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: hitch Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Me I would bend the hitch back, they can't pull that much anyway . Take the insurance and get something you really want! Like maybe a real rear bumper! Laughing
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give me any ideas or reasons to visit the post pics of the REAR of your van thread Wink

Honestly, the thing that torques me most is now I can't say it hasn't been in an accident. Even though I strongly suspect it aokay fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: