Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brits Drive America
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all shipped nine Type 1's (my '55 Deluxe Oval Beetle seen in my avatar photo, 2 Hebmuellers, five Split Beetles including a '43 KDF Beetle and a '56 Rometsch Convertible) from NYC to England. Three in each 53' container. They allowed three weeks for drop-off to pick-up, but the actual ship took about one week.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DropgateLefty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- what a journey of epic proportions!

I will be watching with rabid enthusiasm- and start saving my pennies for a trip like this IMMEDIATELY.

I am going the opposite direction across the States next week- Melbourne FL to Sacramento, CA. To know that a trip like yours is possible just upped my ante Smile
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hi Buzz,

I was one of the owner/drivers on the famous "Return To The Fatherland Tour" back in 1999 that basically did the opposite of what you're contemplating.
Bill Bowman

and this tour is where i showed up at. i came to jc whitney to give Don Bulitta a xerox copy of my "workshop equipement for local manufacture". he told jc whitney guy i was indeed part of the tour. i had my original copy along with me at that time to prove i had copied an original.Dr. christianson and bill collins said it was a very rare piece of literature. Very Happy

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manebrazil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: trip to Usa Reply with quote

Buzz..
Yes,,please put my name down on the list...i am willing to take part in this adventurous trip,,
I did travel Brazil on Bus when I was only 20,,it was an adventure,,,in those days ,,a bit of off road,,,butthe bus survived 9000km,,
Its just unforgettable!!!
Cheers
Kombilove
London
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get copies of the AIRS ,NEATO and LIMBO lists.

Remember that the USA is HUGE compared to anywhere in UK or Europe. When looking at maps, check the gage. Just because Rhode Island and Montana fit on the same size page in your atlas, doesn't mean you can cross each in the same time frame.
manebrazil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwjim wrote:
Cool

Hello Jim Shocked

Hows it going?
We havent met yet,,but anyone looking for a VW Tech Solution,,,I bring your name on board,,
Will you be joining tne Brits Expedition to the USA in 2014?

Regards

Kombilove
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm on board.
manebrazil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: USA WE GO Reply with quote

vwjim wrote:
Yep, I'm on board.

How cool,, i must come along to meet you ..
Usually i drive to Reading ,,,,where one of my projects is being carried out.

It will be an amazing life time adventure...
I think these guys could sort out the shipping,,,
www.kingstown-shipping.co.uk/
I have used them to bring cars from USA and always a great service.

Anyway,,,we will talk,,

Regards
Kombilove
london
buzz n maz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick update... we are now getting on with the road trip and shipping.... the sooner i know the route and dates i will let you all know..

less than 2 years...... Very Happy
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gang,

Bill Collins and the DKF Club put our "Return To The Fatherland Tour '99" together in about 12 months, so with almost 2 years to go, you'll be fine, just don't procrastinate!. Get your participants to firmly commit for container space planning, get them to get their Transporters healthy RIGHT NOW and then drive them around at least 500 miles, if not double that to "shake out" any problems and mechanical issues. Get the owner of each Bus to start putting together a small suitcase packed full with typical breakdown parts and individual tools specific to their own era/type of Bus. Also organize a common pool of items for the group to be split up among everyone to haul (i.e., one decent floor jack, two jack stands, other major repair tools that can be shared amongst all, perhaps even a spare common longblock). Get everyone to seriously start squirrelling away hobby money to pay for all of the expenses they'll incur on the upcoming adventure. You don't want anyone "flaking out" at the last minute because they they didn't listen to you and failed to be mechanically and financially ready for this awesome road adventure.

You guys are going to have SO MUCH FUN!!!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RINC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing about buses ...... they can each haul a lot of stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, on the 1999 "Fatherland Tour", we hauled all that stuff in Type 1's, but with a type 2, you are driving your lodgings, and have much more room to stash away tools and back-up parts. There is a loose network of Bus enthusiasts all across the USA who will offer to assist if any of you run into trouble on the Tour. Once you post your loose itinerary, folks along the way will chime in to offer assistance, parties, etc. We even had a few VW dealerships along the way offer up their service departments for us to do maintenance and they had parties with food, etc. Everyone was great!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
buzz n maz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes cheers for your pm bill, we are having a bit of a meet with the month just to iron out the ruff route...

we will post it up as soon as we all agree...

cheers buzz
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty then! Let me be among the first to offer, if you guys/gals end up passing through the St. Louis area, the "Missouri Micros" will get a "gathering" together for you!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
buzz n maz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, it would be fantastic to meet every one and share a beer as we cross the states, and would be great if you join us!

Just had the hair on the back of my neck stand up, moment!!!
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz, you all will be welcome in Taos, NM if you decide to come thru this way.
I have the room for all the buses on my property for an overnight and my garage or carport for repairs (if needed).

BTW, I spent two years in your neck of the world, living in Stoke sub Hamdon, near Crewkerne, Somerset.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like this is slowly coming together...
Sniperx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hi gang,

Bill Collins and the DKF Club put our "Return To The Fatherland Tour '99" together in about 12 months, so with almost 2 years to go, you'll be fine, just don't procrastinate!. Get your participants to firmly commit for container space planning, get them to get their Transporters healthy RIGHT NOW and then drive them around at least 500 miles, if not double that to "shake out" any problems and mechanical issues. Get the owner of each Bus to start putting together a small suitcase packed full with typical breakdown parts and individual tools specific to their own era/type of Bus. Also organize a common pool of items for the group to be split up among everyone to haul (i.e., one decent floor jack, two jack stands, other major repair tools that can be shared amongst all, perhaps even a spare common longblock). Get everyone to seriously start squirrelling away hobby money to pay for all of the expenses they'll incur on the upcoming adventure. You don't want anyone "flaking out" at the last minute because they they didn't listen to you and failed to be mechanically and financially ready for this awesome road adventure.

You guys are going to have SO MUCH FUN!!!

Bill Bowman

Some of the parts and tools here seems a little extreme. They're native English speakers in an English speaking country. The route across the US isn't quite as desolate as it was. VWs are just as popular as ever, if not more so...a long block seems a bit much...its not like theres a shortage of spares, shops, or completes around. Granted if you're running some 25hp KDF motor or something like that...maybe.

Read these guys blog:

http://www.thedangerz.com/

They are NOT bus gear heads and do not speak the local language...and are not in a VW support heavy country. They have little to no tools and just about no parts...but their getting it done just fine.

You can get so carried away that you'll be bringing a spare bus incase yours fails. Theres nothing that can happen to a well maintained VW vehicle that can't be dealt with through a support group, mechanic, or engine builder.

Some parts can be tricky...like points, coils, or other "obsolete" things. The FLAPS don't often have that stupid common part you need. Cables, points (or e module if you use it), lug nuts, spare tire, spare gas, maybe 1 front and rear brake cylinder (they can be tough to find), bowden tube (maybe)...general consumables is all you'll really need.
Travcojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the chances of turning this into a big Britt/US convoy of buses across the USA? Splts and Bays? Sounds epic.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: