Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch release fork spring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Clutch release fork spring Reply with quote

A Samba member has a broken spring on the clutch release arm on the transmission, 1965. I've only replaced these with the engine out, and it wasn't easy. Does anyone know if this spring can be replaced without pulling the engine?

$1.25 part
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113141723

Also posting in the late model section.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

I did it on my fiberglass buggy last winter. Jacked it up on the left side and removed the wheel. It wasn't too bad. I used a screwdriver and vice-grips.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done, but it's much easier with the engine out.
At the very least, remove the left heaterbox.

Beware, if the spring is busted, perhaps the bushing may need attention. Has it been together for the last 40+ years?
Then the engine has to come out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it with the wheel off and the car jacked up high. Get yourself in there, it'll be tight. You may wanna take that heater box off. Get the circlip off with circlip pliers and the arm will come off. Putting the new spring on is tricky, ya gotta use visegrips and a big prying screwdriver. Be Careful!!! Don't let the circlip go "ka-boing" and then say "aww f*ck where did it go" But it can be done.
Cadaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519228

see my tool
i tried 10 ways, and all failed until ,this .....

rule 2
not all springs are same, or equal, some nicer springs are harder to put in.

one guy here , long ago posted 5 springs, all same pn, but obviously quite
different in shape.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purists - look away. This works until the next engine pull. My clutch spring broke a year ago. The "fix" is just a compression spring and PVC pipe spacer to keep the bearing from contacting the pressure plate. Easy to mash, too. And - the accelerator cable above it is .059" welding wire. Quick fixes until I get new ones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drs1023 wrote:
Purists - look away. This works until the next engine pull. My clutch spring broke a year ago. The "fix" is just a compression spring and PVC pipe spacer to keep the bearing from contacting the pressure plate. Easy to mash, too. And - the accelerator cable above it is .059" welding wire. Quick fixes until I get new ones.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow - great idea !!! I might cut a piece of metal pipe instead of using PVC.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how bad it can be on a stocker. A 10 minute job on my Skat Kat. Trust me, it was no big deal.
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch release fork spring Reply with quote

Lady will not shift at all into 1st or 2nd. 3rd & 4th is showing a little trouble now too. The only way I can shift at all is if she is turned off. So all the stops on the way home I had to turn her off and put her in 1st gear and start her. And with the clutch all the way in she was starting to roll. But I had the hardest time getting her to 2nd. With idiots up my ass I was getting nervous. She has been sitting all day yesterday and Mr. Sheldon, my mechanic said he will work on her Tuesday morning.
I am home waiting to get through to Mr. Sheldon who gave me the number to his tow guy who I spoke to and was ready to come here to get Lady but I told him let me make sure I speak to MR Sheldon about the loaner car he said he would give me on Tuesday.
So it looks like I have to have Lady towed and who knows how much that will be from 3rd Ave and Bell to Hatcher and 11th Ave.Sad((((

Cusser wrote:
A Samba member has a broken spring on the clutch release arm on the transmission, 1965. I've only replaced these with the engine out, and it wasn't easy. Does anyone know if this spring can be replaced without pulling the engine?

$1.25 part
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113141723

Also posting in the late model section.

drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your issues run deeper than a return spring. Sounds like your clutch cable is beginning to turn loose a few strands at a time. Every time a strand breaks the cable feels like it is getting "longer". That's where the creep is coming from when you push in the clutch.
buggy2430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Mine still drove fine with the return spring broken. After repairing it I noticed little difference. It was broke so I fixed it. I don't know how long it had been that way.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think towing it in to Sheldon makes sense. He'll find out all that's wrong with it.
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just called Sheldon's and said the clutch cable needs to be replaced and the spring on the clutch release lever. He hopes that's all that is wrong and will let me know later in the day.
What would be a reasonable price to do this? I haven't discussed the cost with Mr. Sheldon yet. Thanks Cusser!
Smile

Cusser wrote:
I think towing it in to Sheldon makes sense. He'll find out all that's wrong with it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: