Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kombis with interior panels?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great thread! fig that 57 kombi interior is sweet! are the seats original in it? this has me rethinking my westafakia interior idea for our 56 kombi
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
great thread! fig that 57 kombi interior is sweet! are the seats original in it? this has me rethinking my westafakia interior idea for our 56 kombi

Yes, interior panels and rear seats were standard spec on South African kombis.

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kombis with interior panels?? Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Clara wrote:
mousegrey64 wrote:
all the panels in the rear including the headliner are made of the same material as the all the front panels.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are you sure the rear panels are made of the same stuff as the front ones?
Could you take a pic of where they meet?
I suspect the front has the pebble grain and the back are smooth. Like the cab roof of a SC and the roof and back interior of a DC are smooth.

And what is that at the back? A bunch of screws holding the roof panel to what?
sunroof 2 tone w/t interior panel option kombi is about as good a a fat hatch bus gets, well maybee if it were a westy? awesome bus

Love the way you're pulling the swivel lovers chains.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
i find it interesting that the center roof bow does not have screws securing it. or am i just not seeing them?

bumping this thread. if anyone has any ideas for a material that could be used to make a replacement roof like the one in the ss kombi please post your ideas here. i can not think of anything that could be used to make a 1 piece headliner pictured.
i am thing the size of the material would need to be roughly 4' 6" in width and around 6' in length for a proper fit.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
krautwaggen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get 5x8 sheets of Formica? that might be just the ticket.

Also check out places like Grainger supply. I think they sell sheet stock of a lot of different materials of different thicknesses and flexibility.
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using baltic birch 5 x 5's for the ceiling panels and my friend paints them with the correct color gray vinyl paint. How far back does the panel shown above go? Any more than 60" and you're into custom ordered plywood, at least if you go the birch route. Width needed is +/- 55" across.
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the exact measurements/template out there published anywhere?
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
are the exact measurements/template out there published anywhere?

Don't know if this is any help, but this summer we were in Europe on vacation and rented a brand new Kombi van. It had the grey panels on the roof and sides, so VW must still make them. Not sure if they are oversized compared to what you would need in a split bus, but if they are, they appeared to be the same material as what came in the splits.
--Dan
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
I've been using baltic birch 5 x 5's for the ceiling panels and my friend paints them with the correct color gray vinyl paint. How far back does the panel shown above go? Any more than 60" and you're into custom ordered plywood, at least if you go the birch route. Width needed is +/- 55" across.
yes the measurment front to back is roughly 6 feet. didn't know leno could be had in a 5x8 size. since the of panel was smooth and not textured this might just be a good substitute; thanks for the tip

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a 65 Kombi today. It has M Code 013 - Rear seats with full panel interior. I cannot say if anything was added by PO's, but it has a support that runs all the way to the back of the bus, and C channels like you would find along the fresh air vent screwed into the rail front to back, so the hardboard headliner didn't fit up into the channel like on a westy, but came down on the outside of the channel and was screwed in... you will see in the pics. But unlike other headliners this one went all the way back. Also, this was a Tourist Delivery kombi if that makes a difference.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find!

I think Dan and I are going to do our Standard's interior in Kombi fashion as the interior's gone, and I frankly like the spartan look.
It'll be a work vehicle with occasional camping use.

Hope somebody somewhere can point us toward some good patterns if any are available.
farnhamassoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Kombis with interior panels? Reply with quote

widehatch wrote:
before i get bombarded w/ post like " only standards and deluxes have interior" please read the rest of the post and look at the pictures.

i found a 62 or 63 kombi this weekend and it has a full interior including a headliner. all the panels in the rear including the headliner are made of the same material as the all the front panels. this looks like a factory set up. ive never seen this before. sorry i didnt get a picture of the m-codes. has anyone seen this setup before? the only good picture i got was of the headliner.

From the evidence I have seen my kombi had the same setup. None of the panels were there but evidence said it had an interior. Basic door panels a simple panel covering the spare tire panel and the top of the cabin separator had a vinyl covering. Mine is a 57. I am sure this was an option but I dont have any information on it. Just pictures of a stock 57 kombi from Australia with original panels installed. The kombi having no interior theory has been Fooled!!!!
We need to make a mold of those panels and get them manufactered

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike spadafora wrote:
This is a very interesting subject I have never seen an interior paneled combi in person before so it is very cool to see how they did it. I wonder if any barndoors were delivered with hardboard interiors??

Just spitballing plans for the interior of my sunroof swivelseat kombi, and Clara turned me on to this thread.

As for the barndoor thing, Uzi's chromosexual kombi has remnants of interior panels. I'm guessing coachbuilt, but it sure looks to be as old as the bus. I'll see if I can dig up some pix. It has the strip down the middle ceiling centerline with a metal trim piece for holding it in place, as is mentioned above.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w/t bd panel with bulkhead panels:

on the right is a rear hatch bd kombi with perimeter and roof panels, no back seat:
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vintage pic, optioned out bus, DD two tone kombi with interior panels. Does this win the 'why not get a standard' award? .
Looks like a late 61 as it has low hinge doors and early turn signals:

64 kombi at Sacramento 2001:
dubstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some upgrades in process for the '63 kombi Cool

http://instagram.com/john_aka_dubstar/
http://web.stagram.com/n/john_aka_dubstar/

"you could transport really tall things too, like a giraffe"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: