Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wooden headliner
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: wooden headliner Reply with quote

i have a very nice custom 1972 hardtop bus and would like to istall a nice wooden headliner, could anyone help me with some information on where i could get some literature or some kinda of ideas on how to do this myself, pictures, directions or something, thanks.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: wooden headliner Reply with quote

baltic birch sheets from a marine supply house will work.
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: wooden headliner Reply with quote

Yes, I concur with the baltic birch sheets - I used the 1/8" thickness for my headliner. I used a rotozip to make the cuts which works very well with nice clean cuts. I stained them, then sealed with Minwax's Helmsman urethane. Hopefully you have a template or old headliner to trace. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
salvaged_pinkslip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: wooden headliner Reply with quote

"Baltic Birch" is good because it comes in 5'x5' sheets. The 4'x6' sheets of ordinary 1/8" plywood don't give you big enough pieces to do the job (at least for a bus with a poptop or sunroof).

But note - Baltic Birch has one stiff direction and one flexible direction. Make sure you cut it the right way. The first time I tried this I cut the pieces the wrong way. When I tried to bend them into place, the stress was too high and I ended up with Baltic Birch shrapnel everywhere!

The best way to get a template is to go to the self-serve junkyard and get the rotten split old wooden headliner piece out of a Westy. You can also look for the aluminum channel pieces that are used for joining the wooden headliner sections in a Westy. If you find a non-poptop Westy you will be in fat city, for the channels anyway.

I too used Helmsman, but frankly, I think some of the more forgiving polyurethanes would do just as well and maybe look better. It you're not a pureist [sp?] you can stain the Baltic Birch. I did mine to more-or-less match the color of the Westy funiture. It also makes the interior a little darker and cozier. A matter of preference, though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: