Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Picked Off
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Picked Off Reply with quote

Any one see Randy Carlson and Barry (not me) on the new picker competion show called Picked Off?
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good talk, Russ.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Jack white/Johnny Depp wanna be kinda seamed like a sally. The coke cooler was bad ass
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was so funny when they said the sleigh was infested with Beetles...duh... Oldbug...then they were voted off the island. Dang I wanted them to win.
Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the deal with the Deuce Bigalow-looking mofo with the cheerleader girlfriend?
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else getting tired of the "spin-off" series the
networks are so quick to produce? Evil or Very Mad
I mean, once they find something that brings in the ratings,
look out for the clones that will soon be on the air. How many do
we need about pawn shops, celebrity chefs, gold mining, deadly seas,
pickers, auctions, etc. ?

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha fer sure. They should make one called Flippers and have teams rip into people's yards and hound them to sell out of the blue (with a camera team acting like they just happened along).
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghiaddict wrote:
Anybody else getting tired of the "spin-off" series the
networks are so quick to produce? Evil or Very Mad
I mean, once they find something that brings in the ratings,
look out for the clones that will soon be on the air. How many do
we need about pawn shops, celebrity chefs, gold mining, deadly seas,
pickers, auctions, etc. ?

Ya, im just glad they shit canned that American Pickers spin off "Picker Chicks." Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Ya, im just glad they shit canned that American Pickers spin off "Picker Chicks."

Never saw that. Pic of a Picker Chick?
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
stale air wrote:
Ya, im just glad they shit canned that American Pickers spin off "Picker Chicks."

Never saw that. Pic of a Picker Chick?

Oops, it wasnt called "Picker Chicks", it was called "Picker Sisters". Dosent really matter, the show sucked anyway.

The American Picker cast kept pushing the show on the Discovery Channel Network, but they must have moved the show to Lifetime.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/picker-sisters
Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Property Wars, Barter Kings etc. are all about profiting from the misery, desperation, ignorance and misfortune of others. I think the Pickers are the worst offenders. When I see Frank do the happy dance because he knowingly paid some old man/old woman/widow $35 for some item worth $1000 it is hard to watch. It's even more disgusting to me when he talks them down from $50 to $35 on that item. Nothing wrong with making a profit but have some scruples and be fair about it.
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidpainter wrote:
American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Property Wars, Barter Kings etc. are all about profiting from the misery, desperation, ignorance and misfortune of others. I think the Pickers are the worst offenders. When I see Frank do the happy dance because he knowingly paid some old man/old woman/widow $35 for some item worth $1000 it is hard to watch. It's even more disgusting to me when he talks them down from $50 to $35 on that item. Nothing wrong with making a profit but have some scruples and be fair about it.
It's just stuff. These businessmen have education, and a market that the sellers just don't have. Let's say I have a bus in a field in Michigan with no rust. I sell it for $500, the buyer fixes the engine, and cleans it up and sells it for $17,000 because it happens to be a clean two owner 15 window. Have I been taken? No, I am happy with the $500. Ignorance and misfortune? More like too lazy to make the effort to sell their stuff for nearly what it's worth.
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sage wrote:
Lidpainter wrote:
It's just stuff. These businessmen have education, and a market that the sellers just don't have. Let's say I have a bus in a field in Michigan with no rust. I sell it for $500, the buyer fixes the engine, and cleans it up and sells it for $17,000 because it happens to be a clean two owner 15 window. Have I been taken? No, I am happy with the $500. Ignorance and misfortune? More like too lazy to make the effort to sell their stuff for nearly what it's worth.

This. Knowledge is power. That knowledge took a lot of time and resources to accumulate.

Current: 1972 Beetle - 96V EV
Previous:
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1300SP
1966 Beetle - Sea Blue - 1600SP
1974 Beetle - African Red - 1914CC

Lidpainter
Samba Anti-Hero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M. wrote:
The Sage wrote:
Lidpainter wrote:

This. Knowledge is power. That knowledge took a lot of time and resources to accumulate.

I respectfully disagree. Let's change it up a little but base it on your "if you're happy with what you were paid you were not taken/knowledge is power" theory. I see a 6 year old who I know has some baseball cards. I look through them and find a Mickey Mantle rookie card. I offer the kid a nickel for it. I then sell it for the $3000 I know it is really worth. He's happy with 5 cents so he was not taken. Is that correct?
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M. wrote:
The Sage wrote:
Lidpainter wrote:

Uh-Oh here I come...

I am at the largest antique flea market in the world this week. A toy dealer extraordinaire (in his mind) came up to me and offered me a package deal with what he thought the prices should be on each of the pieces. There was one piece that he thought the retail value would be $100 and in reality it's a $300 piece. Now am I wrong for giving him the $100 that he wanted for it, considering that he has multiple times told me that he knows way more than me?

Oh, and I've been doing it about 1/10 the time he has been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sage wrote:
Let's say I have a bus in a field in Michigan with no rust. it happens to be a clean two owner 15 window. .
Laughing Laughing Laughing ... Good one!.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidpainter wrote:
John M. wrote:
The Sage wrote:
Lidpainter wrote:

I respectfully disagree. Let's change it up a little but base it on your "if you're happy with what you were paid you were not taken/knowledge is power" theory. I see a 6 year old who I know has some baseball cards. I look through them and find a Mickey Mantle rookie card. I offer the kid a nickel for it. I then sell it for the $3000 I know it is really worth. He's happy with 5 cents so he was not taken. Is that correct?
Correct!... @ 6 years old, he should have known better. Rolling Eyes

J/K. Wink
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here we go again Rolling Eyes if someone has a ton of shit for sale, and dosen't take the time to figure out value then i see no problem with a 100.00 offer on a million dollar piece

some people (like myself) have "the first money is the best money" mentality. if your life is over run with a lifetime of collecting (hoarding) and you want out, and want out fast, sell cheap...who cares?

old people don't give a fuck. they are old, have come to terms they will be road testing a coffin soon and try to lessen the burden on family. no one i have seen has put a gun to a sellers head to make them take what may be looked at as a "low ball" offer.

the flip side to this is lot's of people think the shit they are selling is the most valuable item in the world. there have been a few deals that i had to walk away from because the seller thinks i'm going to flip the item. it makes it hard to buy something when people think that way....

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sage wrote:
Lidpainter wrote:

Hey, I'll take that 2-owner 15-Window for $17K because I'm pretty sure I can almost double that, properly pimped and advertised to the right market.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: