Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pushrods too short
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gostros
Mr. Obvious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Pushrods too short Reply with quote

I got some singleport 1500 rebuilt heads (different design from the ones I removed) for my singleport 1500. I pulled the rockers, then the heads, I installed the new heads and the old rockers, and now the pushrods are about a 1/2 too short when the valve adjustment screwed all the way in. The rockers are mounted flush, no spacers. Anyone else had this problem? I know I can get some and cut them to fit, but I wanted to pick some brains before I did that.

*sorry if this has been covered before, I searched extensively and couldn't find this exact issue discussed previously.

No camera and cell phone sucks. If you really want to see a picture PM me and I'll text one to you.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut one of the pushrods, and thread some all-thread into the two pieces. Now you can turn it to see what length pushrod you really need.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are your pushrods? Maybe you need stock length and what was in it was already short - also, do you maybe have ratio rockers? I just took my stash of stock length ones back up to my storage garage, so I dont feel like running back up to measure them, but am thinking that the shorter ones for my 1.4 ratio rockers are 10 5/8".
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gostros
Mr. Obvious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll measure when I get home from work. Cusser - good idea with the all thread.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gostros wrote:
I'll measure when I get home from work. Cusser - good idea with the all thread.

That's what I did with my 1835 when I went dual port. Either in the 1970s or 1980s. Then I just bought a set of that length.

they do sell a tool for doing this, but this is easier, faster, and cheaper.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: