Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gary's Transaxle
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Gary's Transaxle Reply with quote

I sold a used engine to somebody a little while ago and he mentioned that he had his transmission rebuilt by Gary's Transaxle in Kent, WA. He seemed to be very happy with the rebuild although he's just running a stock waterboxer.

I've had good luck with AA but Gary's prices seem very good and he's been around for a very long time.

Anyone around here use him and have any experience?

Thanks,

Nolan
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my 5 speed to Gary when my pinion bearings died. He did a great job on the transaxle: tore it right down, replaced the bearing pair, the 5th gear set and the 3/4 slider, adjusted the backlash to suit the 2.5 Subaru engine and sent me on my way.

A real pro - I wanted to ask if I could be his apprentice... Wink

Daryl's great too, as everybody knows, but was just coming back after his illness when I needed my transaxle repaired and I'm very happy with Gary's work - his prices are terrific too.

Highly recommended!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mine swears by him for all his air and water cooled tranny rebuilds.

here is another thread on Gary Zink:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=480231&highlight=zink
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful info guys, I think I'll try and get a hold of him in the morning.
garyzink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks Guys, for the kind words Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words about my service. I've been doing VW manual tranies since the split case swing axle days, early 70's, many decades ago.

Darryl at AA and I are great friends. Someone on another but similar Samba forum thread mentioned that My $950 price for a VW Syncro trany rebuild seem very low compared to Darryl's price. Actually our prices are about the same if I add a $350 heavy duty 4th gear set to my $950 price which most tranies will need. My $950 price includes a new 3rd/4th upgraded hub gear (the factory one always cracks) and includes all new bearings, syncros, reconditioned gear carrier housing, seals, gaskets, labor and other parts, but excludes all running gears. I have several factory new and reconditioned main shafts in stock. I've had great luck with resurfaced main shaft needle bearing surface, that one of my good customers researched the local source for me. I also stock 0.70 and 0.77 heavy duty 4th gears. I also have tons of old VW trany parts.

Darryl does excellent work also and if you live in the North area, I'd encourage you to pay him a visit.

Thanks, Gary,
Gary's Transaxle Service www.garystransaxles.com
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're certainly blessed with an abundance of VW resources, here in the PNW.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: