Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side Step Removal Problem
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbarnresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Side Step Removal Problem Reply with quote

This one's got me stumped. I looked around for info on this and from what I gather, this bolt should just go up through a hole and be held in with an acorn nut. The nuts come right off, but the bolts on both sides almost seem welded in place. I spent three minutes heating them with a torch and they still won't budge when trying to be turned out with a wrench. I know they'll snap if I try any harder. Am I missing something? I understand that behind these bolts is a pin that holds the plate to the jack point. How does this attach/how can it be removed? Thanks much.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dan
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're on the right track. i hate to tell you, the last one i removed involved a plazma cutter and a bus missing 2 jack points Evil or Very Mad

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just installed my step yesterday. that bolt is in a smooth hole, its not threaded. no doubt the corrosion between the AL and Steel have that locked up tight.

if you cant beat it out with a hammer and there is just no other way, you *could* cut the plate halfway between the bolt and the pin and either make new ones or weld that one back together. If that bolt wont beat out, or press out, you might have to try and drill it out.

When I installed mine i did not use these plates (i didnt have them) the hole inboard for the pin is not threaded, but is just the right size to run a tap through to use a common 8mm all-thread bolt. the hole in the outrigger is already there so i simply tapped the holes and ran the bolt in with a washer....its very solid and secure. i wouldnt jump on it but i can stand on it and it hardly budges. not sure the logic behind these plates when what i did seems to work very well and simple.

Having seen your pictures, im now going to run those bolts back out and drown them in anti-seize!!! i was s a bit worried the carbon and AL wouldnt get along so close.

I'd wait for more responses though, i'll probably get blasted a little for advocating cutting and hacking Razz maybe theres a better way.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put the nut back on 3/4 of the way and beat on it Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me (but it's not so don't get any ideas) I'd just grab the step and start wrenching on it. The nut is gone so any movement at all should be at work on the bolt.
Redbarnresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Guess it just needs a little more persuasion.

Dan
Redbarnresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the bolts out but the step will barely budge. I assume these pins are still holding it in place. Seems like the step should be able to swing down away from the pins and then out, but it's not happening. I don't know what these pins look like but judging from the word "pin" I assume they just slide into a hole.

All I could find on the matter are these pics from another thread. The pins look broken off to me, which makes me think they're difficult or impossible to remove, but I can't get my head around why a simple pin shouldn't fall right out, or come out with a little persuasion.

Thanks again.

Dan
donemoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st of all, with an avatar like yours; I'd expect you would know how to do this. Razz

If the bolts are out; try taking a pin punch to the other two holes. Chances are, it will pop out of the bolt hole....if not... trying drilling the pin out while oiling and wiggling step. If nothing budges, you can always slit the jack points, pry out, then, weld the slits back together. good luck.

Uh, what's that? Red barn Restorations aka VW Repair. Wink Stay with it, it will come out.
1966 HD Sprint H
1940 HD ULH Flathead
1985 Electra-glide Classic with Tour-Pac
1968 Harley Rapido

1968 Honda CL Scrambler 175cc
1962 Honda Cub 50 Step-thru
1980 Honda Cub 70
Redbarnresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a first for everything, and this is the first side step I've ever touched!

Step's out. Thanks for the input.

Dan
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redbarnresto wrote:
There's a first for everything, and this is the first side step I've ever touched!

Step's out. Thanks for the input.

Dan

how did you go about getting it out?
Redbarnresto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't usually go hammering on customer's cars unless I'm sure it's the logical option, which it often is. That's why I asked first.

Due to the shape of the body, I couldn't really hammer down on the bolts. Instead, I used a flattened chisel and hammered round and round on the side of the tops of the bolts (not caring about reusing them, obviously) until they loosened up, then spun them out as if they were threaded in place. As careful as I was with the pins on the rear of the plates, they both ended up snapping off. At that point, the step came right out with some wiggling.

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: