Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil temp slowly creeps up
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
marknmthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: oil temp slowly creeps up Reply with quote

I have a 73 Thing with a 2276 I put in about 2 months ago. I bought the Thing to play off road, although I used it as a daily driver last summer. I located an oil cooler with a 10’ fan and a 170 thermostat over the trany, and still have the stock oil cooler in the fan shroud. The oil temp slowly creeps up over 200 after 20 to 30 miles, I pull over at 220 Anyway to cut to the chase, I think the oil cooler is pre heating the air going into the fan shroud. I can only assume this will get a lot worse in the summer when it’s 90 to 100. Where are people locating oil coolers?
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark why don't you try this question in the performance/ engines forum to get an answer.
If all the tin is installed the placement of the cooler over the transaxle shouldn't be a problem. Are you running a power pulley? That would make it run hot.
One way I keep my VW's alittle cooler in the desert is to install a belt one size smaller then use extra shims between the pullery halves to get the tension right. What this does is make the top pulley just alittle smaller in diameter and that spins the fan just alittle faster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine hp motor ran hot for the first few thousand miles. I had to pull over a few times when it hit 220-240 dg f. Eventually, after a few thousand miles, the motor losened up as the valves seated and moving parts broke in. The power (hp) increased dramatically as it broke in and began to run cooler. It now has about 8000 miles and runs fully warmed at 175 dg f. I don't use a remote oil cooler. I run full synthetic Mobil 1.

If every spec is dead on and not making noise, it may simply be friction of precisely machines parts breaking in. Some say don't run full synthetic until after the valves are seated (1-2000 miles). Ask away in the engine forum, too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: