Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

76 Sportsmobile -tie dye panels, & a new custom table
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: 76 Sportsmobile -tie dye panels, & a new custom table Reply with quote

I was no longer able to edit my old thread, so I will have to start a new one... Here is the old thread if you would like to view some of my past projects (rust repair, new laminate wood floor) that got me to this point...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5994254#5994254

Now for the new stuff... I'm sure this will piss off some purists, but oh well, much of my wood paneling was bad (that thing sticking out from underneath in the second pic is the drivers side rear panel, it looks like that the whole length...), had been wet (several times), plus I think this looks super cool...

Here's what I've got so far.

These are for the front door panels, the right one is the passengers side, left = drivers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are for the rear, left = passengers side and slider, right = drivers side.

Passengers side door panel before:

And after:

Slider/passengers side before:

The panels wrapped, I reused the rubber trim to help hold the fabric tight:

And after:

Last edited by TweedLinn on Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:59 am; edited 8 times in total
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too each their own. I'm a stock nazi for sure, but I also love tie dye, and I think that your tie dye looks nice; its really a matter of what floats your boat. I also appreciate your attention to detail and how you blended the pattern across one panel and onto another. Is the vinyl from the front door cards underneath?

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

Last edited by Westfabulous on Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hondaslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Sorry, it just put a big smile on my face.

3M adhesive I assume?
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually really enjoy stock too, but I also really love a one of a kind custom, and this thing was so far from stock to begin with, I figured why not make it a full custom...

Westfabulous - yes the vinyl is still there (also, thanks for noticing the detail, it makes my efforts much more worth it!!)

Hondaslayer - no I didnt use any type of adhesive at all actually, I'm just that good at pulling stuff tight apparently (and I'm realy, really anal...)

I.E. - nothing stock was modified to do this, the door cards and panels are completely unmolested by me (by time and the elements on the other hand...), it can easily be removed to be washed, reverted back to original (which I wont), replaced, etc.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is better to be pissed off than on....

I like it as long as you love it! Wink

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cant edit, but you can always post a new post in your existing thread, having said that, while tie dye isnt my style, I do appreciate the effort you put into it and the panels, and how its able to be reverted back to stock should you choose to do so. The panels look good.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I definitely like it! Very Happy I love tie dying and both my busses have their curtains done in tie dye done by me! Very Happy Not as nice as your work though. I love your panels. What a great idea.

Here are a few pics of my busses.

This was my 64 before I turned it into a horse hauler.

As you can see I had the same concept as you but I didn't think to put them on boards.

Here's just the one side of the 70 bus.

And I just made the top for it a few weeks ago.

I also have license plates to go with it all! Very Happy

I hope you don't mind me sharing some of my pics in your thread. Embarassed I just love seeing another tie dyer on here! Very Happy I look forward to following this thread to see how yours comes out!! Looks really awesome so far. Very Happy

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I really like the way the pattern flows as was earlier commented. What do you treat your fabric with before dying? A salt solution? What brand of dyes do you like, and have any of them faded from U.V?

By the way, keeping the VW vinyl underneath is a great idea! Cool The tied-dyed fabric will help protect the vinyl for years to come, and it gives the panel the body it was intended to have, and it will be nice surprise for someone years from now if the bus changes hands. They'll discover the original panels underneath, joy! (That is, of course, IF the bus gets sold, IF they don't like tie-dye, etc., etc.!!)

Nice work! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werksberg wrote:

As a recipient of both of those, I'd have to agree....

Justrcuzin - Wow, I got nothing on you - those things are dyed up!! And those license plates are priceless

Wasted youth/adulthood - Yes I boiled them in salt water. As for the other questions... I have no idea... This was my first time.

I really appreciate all the compliments from everyone, saying the bus looks good is one thing, all busses look good, but saying I'm good at tie dyeing is another... I have never done it before, except maybe at camp or something as a kid, I am significantly younger than the bus (didn't exactly grow up in tie dye culture), and I only practiced on two dish towels before going for it on the large scale. Guess you really can learn to do anything well from Youtube...
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TweedLinn wrote:
werksberg wrote:

As a recipient of both of those, I'd have to agree....

Justrcuzin - Wow, I got nothing on you - those things are dyed up!! And those license plates are priceless

Wasted youth/adulthood - Yes I boiled them in salt water. As for the other questions... I have no idea... This was my first time.

I really appreciate all the compliments from everyone, saying the bus looks good is one thing, all busses look good, but saying I'm good at tie dyeing is another... I have never done it before, except maybe at camp or something as a kid, I am significantly younger than the bus (didn't exactly grow up in tie dye culture), and I only practiced on two dish towels before going for it on the large scale. Guess you really can learn to do anything well from Youtube...

Thanks TweedLinn , I haven't been tie dyeing for to long. I was taught by someone that is what I would consider a pro. It was a one day class though. LOL We went to her house one day and that was all it took. I was hooked. I have a video on it and I also got a lot of my ideas from the internet! I would have never guessed this was your first time. You did an excellent job!! Very Happy

As far as the question does it fade. Yes. They do! I would say the curtains fade more then anything. In fact, the tie dyes that are inside the bus that don't get direct light, are still good as new in my 64. They have been in the bus the longest. The nice thing about tie dyeing though, you can easily do it again! Very Happy So your curtains may fade in time, but the next thing you know, you have a whole new look! Very Happy

Here is what my 64 bus looks like on the inside now, abut 7 or so years since putting the tie dye in.

Here is the curtains from the outside. You cans see my seals need to be replaced! LOL

This was a VW emblem, now almost faded white.

Not bad for so many years of being in the sun! I don't think you have to worry about your panels fading anytime soon. They don't get direct light like the curtains.

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Sporstmobile - todays project: Tie dyed interior pane Reply with quote

TweedLinn wrote:

The whole thing looks great! Makes me start thinking of curtains to replace the faded brown ones I have. I tend to overthink things (working for an architect might have something to do with it) but if the center of the tie die was the center of the window winder.....
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyeDye makes me look fat but it looks good on you Wink First class job all the way since you preserved the og stuff Applause

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished it up today... Now on to new things - Next comes recovering all the rear cushions in black leather. (I've also got a pretty cool custom table in the works...)

This is why I said some of the panels had been a little wet once or twice...

Driver's side all done

Last edited by TweedLinn on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TweedLinn wrote:
Finished it up today... Now on to new things - Next comes recovering all the rear cushions in black leather...

Driver's side all done

That looks great- the continuity over the joints is sweet!
Hondaslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you do the pieces around the windows?
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, as I mentioned, I love tie dye shirts for those special occasions such as weddings and grads Wink , and I love stock busses even more than that. In spite of the above, you have done a great job of your interior, without materially altering or destroying the bus. I admire any work where attention to detail is an obvious component, and you have done a fine job in that regard. Cool. Cool

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding!!!! Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say OUTSTANDING!!!! Was trying to think up something great- and you beat me to it. So hold on for some flattery. (you know- the imitation thing) .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My59, Westfabulous, TequilaSunSet, williamM - Thanks!! I was worried it was going to be a bit over bearing or a little too acid-trippy, but it really isn't all that obnoxious, and with the black accents (maybe I'll do the cabintes in black too when I get to building them...), black jumpseat, (soon to be) black leather seats, and the light wood floor I put in, it really is going to come together nice. I'm pretty sure the orange flowered curatins really have to go now though!

Hondaslayer wrote:
How did you do the pieces around the windows?

I did the piece around the window just like the rest. Just wrapped it tight, and put the original trim on to hold it in place. It actually turned out to be a pretty good system, since anywhere that sagged, was crooked, etc, I could just pull tighter or straighter from the back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: