Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Xantrex Inverter Charger. Who is actually using one?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Spainiard, The unit has a resetable overload switch built into it, but the manual specifies adding a breaker between the inverter and the AC power source. From the manual.
AC Input: The circuit breaker or fuse (connected through hard
wiring) that is used to supply the Freedom HW must be rated at no
more than 30A and must be approved for use on 120 Vac branch
circuits.

Above I posted I thought I had found the solution, but those breakers are rated for DC only. I don't know how they would perform on the AC line voltage. I am thinking that an inline fuse suited for AC current in a surface mount holder would work better in my application. If anyone has a recommendation for a suitable AC breaker, I am all ears. mark

Edit, I found this and looks like it should work. I hate to cut a hole for it, but I can't see where I would remove it some day.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic!

I've been looking at this inverter-charger because of its small physical size.

Tripp Lite APS700HF

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=818&txtModelID=3298

Anybody used one?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
simonslp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

(Swoon....) Embarassed My hero!
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
Great topic!

I've been looking at this inverter-charger because of its small physical size.

Tripp Lite APS700HF

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=818&txtModelID=3298

Anybody used one?

great unit, biggest difference with Xantrex Freedom 1000w is the battery charger part, only 6amp compared to the 20amp of the Xantrex

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info, thanks Mad Spaniard. And that install is really something to be proud of, nice job!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Electric Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest in this unit is renewed after a long camping trip we just got back from.
Glad to finally see this all installed.
Great job Mr. Spaniard.
I will probably borrow your design. Cool

(T)exas (C)oalition (B)uses
(H)eidenhammer (B)ully (B)oyz

--1966 De Luxe Camper
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick hijack of the thread: Could you safe some money and get the same results by installing a separate charger and inverter? I like the clean look of only one box but on the other hand the saved money can be invested in other gimmicks Wink
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srmpf wrote:
quick hijack of the thread: Could you safe some money and get the same results by installing a separate charger and inverter? I like the clean look of only one box but on the other hand the saved money can be invested in other gimmicks Wink

of course, and most people followed that route, there are a number of threads that show how people have installed a battery charger under the new fridge or near the water tank and an inverter behind the driver's side.

The advantage in the Xantret unit is the fact that you can hard wire it to the external hookup box and to the aux panel and aux battery the way I did it and be done with everything. The automatic switch built in this unit will switch from 110v to 12v on a per need basis and the battery charger will do its job when you have the extension cord plugged in the hookup box. It also features a voltmeter so you can see the voltage of the aux battery in the LED screen an monitor the battery consumption. I can also see the voltage recharge from the solar panel or the 110v outlet in the LED screen.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Xantrex Failed Reply with quote

Well, the other day before a trip, I plugged in the shore power to be sure the batteries were fully charged. A few days later, I noticed the interior light from the auxilary battery was barely on. The xantrex was shut down, and the interior 110 outlets were dead even though the shore power was connected.

Here is what I learned. In order for the Xantrex to act as a transfer switch the battery it is connected to needs to have power. No 12 volt power, the unit will not power up. I disconected the xantrex from my auxilary battery and charged them overnight with a trickle charger. It charged up fine and the Xantrex would power up. The transfer feature was working, and the Xantrex display showed "bulk charging".

While watching the battery voltage with the Xantrex connected to shore power and on, the auxilary battery was discharging. It appeared that the battery charger feature of the unit has failed. I contacted Xantrex and it is over a year old even though it has really never been put through any real service. They don't repair them. They will sell me a new one 30% off of retail.

I have removed it pending my decision. I liked the idea originally of the inverter/charger, but after having it lay down with very low hours, I am not ready to purchase another unit. It is a shame, because all of my wiring is in place. I wired a 110 outlet to act as a junction inplace of it for now. I am thinking a better solution might be just an inverter, that can hard wired and act as a transfer switch when the shore power is available. I guess my other choice would be to buy a replacement, and use the crap out of it for the first year and see if it fails. It must have been defective, but there was not enough usage for it to fail. Oh well.
derekdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a unit from the same company, the unit being called the Prosine 2.0, and there were numerous similar complaints and stories from other owners about this kind of failure for the Prosine on the user comments on Amazon. Owners are outraged at this company. For more on placement issues, see this thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419466 Mine has not failed yet, but I expect it to.

-- Derek Drew

Last edited by derekdrew on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my update with the Xantrex. It was sitting on the shelf in the garage all winter long. We were getting ready to go on vacation and was considering purchasing a replacement inverter. I thought long and hard, and in the end, reinstalled the xantrex to act only as an inverter for charging the laptop and other devices if needed. I left the 110 volt cables disconnected and used it just as a standalone unit.

I still have not decided what to do. It was a pain to run the 110 cables and rewire the 110 stock receptacles. I have not found any other combo charger/inverters other than the Xantrex. It is unlikely I would plop down more money for a suspect peice of equipment. It is really too bad it did not work out. It is a really neat system, just not ready for prime time yet. I will post back with my final solution. mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: