Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm Fabricating My Own Manual Tire Changer. UPDATE 7/31/2012
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: I'm Fabricating My Own Manual Tire Changer. UPDATE 7/31/2012 Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm in the middle of fabricating my own tire changer and thought I'd share some pics of where I'm at as of today. I love fabricating and especially love making things out of scrap I have laying around, and this is no exception. The only things I've had to buy so far are a 20" x 20" square of 1/8" steel and a 58" length of 1" schedule 40 pipe. Total so far is $25.

I refuse to pay people to do stuff that I can do myself. And since I no longer work at a dealership I no longer have access to a tire changer. Shops around here want $10 to $15 a tire to mount and balance and to me thats money I dont want to pay when I can do it myself.

I wanted to make this as compact and sturdy as possible. I chose to make the table top 20" so that I can do rims up to that size. 17" inch rims are most likely the largest that I will ever have and or do, so that leaves me plenty of working room. I left 22" inches of pipe from the table top up. I intentionally made it a little long until I see what holes I use on different rims. Most rims I measured are 7" to 11" wide so I will most likely only use 18" of the pipe and cut off 4" later on if I see its not being used.

This is what I started with. A frame from a generator, a pole that was cut down and used for a grinder pedistal and a dining table base.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I cut the generator stand up and welded it back together to make a subframe for the tire work table. The motor from that generator is on a gokart now.

I then used the top portion of the dining table to mount the tire work table to the pedistal. The base I used for an oscillating fan I got out of the garbage......recycling at its best.

The schedule 40 pipe is run straight through the pedistal from the bottom to the top. Its welded at the bottom, through the table piece and then to the tire work table and became the backbone of the whole tire changer. I drilled 1/4" holes every 1 1/2" from the tire work table up. These will be used for a pin that will hold the bead breaker and tire removal/installation tools in place when in use.

I had to cut the top off the pedistal and reweld it. Whoever put that on didnt use a straight edge as it was VERY crooked.I then welded the 1/8" steel to the subframe and rounded the corners. I cut a hole in the center with my plasma cutter and ran it down the pipe and welded it all up.

I also have a Snapon wheel balancer in my garage and will use the wheel centering adapters on my tire changer to center the rims and hold it in place.

Luckily it has the wide 5 adapter as well !!!

The pipe in this picture is to show what happens next. I still need to find the correct pipe for my needs. The bead breaker tool and the tire removal/installation tool get built off of the pipe and the pin keeps it from walking up the pole as its being used. Break the beads and then pop the tire up on the perch and walk around the tire with the pipe as it rotates on the main pole and off comes the tire. I will be making the tool so it has a soft rubber wheel that rolls on the rim edge to keep rims from being damaged. I still have to fabricate the tools . I will also be making a slot in the table top to run a carriage bolt that will be used to lock the wheel down through a lug hole. It will be able to slide and adjust to any lug pattern. The table top will be covered in a rubber mat as well to protect the rim.

Thats where I'm at. Hope you like what I'm doing. I have fun making this type of stuff. Sorry theres some missing pics of things I described. I need to take more pics of things as I fabricate them, I'm pretty bad at remembering to take pics along the way.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
oldskool7_11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work. i have a harbor freight tire changer and love being able to easily do it myself.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! i just passed on a tire machine for 25o local and im kicking myself. great tool to have!
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the one I made and couple of years ago

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few things we have found here with manual tire macines.

First they need to be securely fastened to the floor or the leverage from your tire tools will work against you.

And the tire tool itself is the weak point on the Harbor Freight machine. The machine did fine, but the tire tool included folded up very early in its life. After cutting the end off and welding it to a more suitable handle, we were back in business.

What do have for a bead breaker?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Muir method of using the car's weight and the Bilstein jack to break the bead. Then two spoons, aka BFS (big screwdrivers), and voila!
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. Sorry for the delay, I've been a little busy. I have finished the bead breaker part of the tool. Here is how I made it using scrap I had laying around.

I cut up two 1 1/2" x 1/4" straps I found laying in my yard when I bought my house, a piece of pipe, and a Polaris UTV six seater drive shaft.

The bead breaker part of the tool is made up of the 1 1/2" x 1/4" strap and a piece of curved angle iron. In this pic there is another bead breaker tool waiting to be made (on the right) I will make a few that have the foot of the bead breaker at different angles for different applications. I drilled three 3/8" holes for adjustment.

This is the beginnings of the tool. The part where the bead breaker tool will attatch. The handle has yet to be attatched. I drilled three 3/8" holes in this as well for adjustability. I will drill another to the right closer to the handle.

I disassemble the U-joint of the UTV drive shaft.

I then opened up the inner diameter to weld it to the bead breaker tool. This allows me to have a solid steel handle that comes apart for storage. It is held in place with a hitch pin.

Here is a few pics of it in "action" I already broke the beads on this rim with the tool.

Here is the tool broken down for storage.

I still have some final finishing to the tool but it works great. I have broken the beads on 7 rims from spares to truck tires and it performed flawlessly. I will be making some bolt on feet for better stability, I knew I would have to when I started this. Even without the feet it didnt really want to tip , but the feet will definately make it totally stable. The feet will unbolt so I can remove them when I finally have a space to bolt this down to the floor.

The next part after making a few more breaker attatchment tools is to work on the tire removal/installation tool. I think it will be pretty slick. I still have to make a slot in the deck for the adjustable clamping rod. This will be able to adjust for different bolt patterns and keep the rim from spinning while the tire is being removed/installed. I will be laying a rubber mat on the work table to protect rims from being scratched by the table surface and the breaker tool will get rubberized as well to protect the rims incase of contact.

Some people may say why bother? I love to fabricate and this tool will fit my specific needs and not be a junk harbour freight one. It only cost me $30 so far.

Oh and this is what happens when a 3" cutting wheel explodes. Luckily I was wearing my welding sleeves and it hit right where my T-shirt sleeve and the welding sleeve overlapped. This pic was taken a few hours after it happened.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a clever fabricator.
Glad you weren't hurt worse.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bead breaker looks a lot better then your arm does!

Nice work. On the tire machine - not the arm.
mgamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't add bolt-on feet. Add collapsable, hinged stabilizers, about 2 feet long each. They can fold up under the machine and you just drop them and attach a strut arm to them to hold them down.
An fyi-Cutting wheels have an expiration date on them. I didn't know this, but a fellow was killed when an expired wheel blew up in his face at some auto plant. I saw the safety report.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch that looks painful

I love the way you rolled the angle to the radius of the wheel. My bead breaker is not that pretty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgamike wrote:
Don't add bolt-on feet. Add collapsable, hinged stabilizers, about 2 feet long each. They can fold up under the machine and you just drop them and attach a strut arm to them to hold them down.
An fyi-Cutting wheels have an expiration date on them. I didn't know this, but a fellow was killed when an expired wheel blew up in his face at some auto plant. I saw the safety report.

I wasnt too specific but yes they will collapse but will be bolted to the bottom so I can remove them when/if I finally have a place to bolt it to the floor. I certainly wouldnt want permanent legs sticking out for me to trip on and it will make it harder to store in the corner of my garage as well if they were like that. Thanks for mentioning it though I appreciate the input from all of you. As for the cutting wheel all I can say is I will no longer buy blank no name ones. If that were my face safety glasses or not I would have been pretty messed up. Also I have a decent sized vein exactly where that hit so that would have been nasty had it cut it open.

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work ovalteen, it's a great feeling building something out of nothing.

also, are there any road signs left in your town?!
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great fab skills, but I have a question...

What's the bolt pattern on that narrow slot mag and do you have two? Very Happy
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
Nice work ovalteen, it's a great feeling building something out of nothing.

also, are there any road signs left in your town?!

LOL !! Yes, there is precisely ONE sign left in my town..........it says "Please Do Not Remove" !!!

Your seeing 20+ years of my collection. Ive been hoarding them since I was about ten years old. Ive been given them, traded for them, bought them at yard sales, auctions, swap meets, flea markets and found them in junkyards. When I bought my house and had my own garage I was finally able to put them up the way I always imagined.

Heres some quick stats. There are 113 signs on the walls, 85 license plates in the window frames, 11 license plates on the wall, 8 advertising thermometers, 7 AAA badges, 1 working traffic light with crosswalk light and crosswalk push button, 1 vintage 8' soapbox derby car, and the list goes on. About every square inch of the garage is covered and I have about 50 more signs and so much more stuff in storage in the garage attic. I will be posting detailed pics in the "recent garage pics" thread soon

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,...somebody's got to say it Laughing

"That'll buff right out"

Glad you're OK. Wearing protective gear does pay off
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a nice crack in my faceshield at work which I think came from an exploding wheel. Glad you are ok, I like all the road signs.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
homebrewin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work. You do definitely have some good fabricating skills. I know you built it with random & "one off" parts, but if you could find a way to build them en masse, you could probably make some dough selling them.

And that cutoff wheel injury looks familiar. I worked in a shop for a while where the owner had bought a case of those shitty, no-name cutoff wheels from some phone sales boiler room outfit. After several of them blew up in similar fashion, we refused to use them anymore. I had one rip through my jeans and leave a nasty tear on the top of my leg. There's still a scar there.
Cheaply built garbage+high speed=bad news.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: